IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 03:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the ML system was designed for sound quality, not SPL. If you're going for pure loudness, then adding a sub to the stock system is probably your best bet.
Old 09-24-07, 04:39 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JensBoo
I personally think if anyone is "bent out of shape" about not getting an ML system, they should just go get a sub and amp and Voila! You will have a better sounding system than ML. 300 watts isn't anything to go waiting 5 months or so for.

I love the stock personally Stock plus my sub is sweet too.
The biggest benefit (IMHO) to the ML system (with nav) is the 6-disc DVD changer... Movies and music videos are awesome...

I also added a subwoofer btw, sounds much better... Not much louder (as I have the gain way down) but full range and tight bass...
Old 01-06-08, 05:31 PM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything guys who dont have the ML system can do to improve their sound system? I wanted the ML but it wasnt available on just about any IS in NJ at the time I was shopping (and I needed a car ASAP). I have the Navi but no ML :-( I must say so, the non-ML sound system is pretty good.
Old 03-04-08, 07:53 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
Replace the tweets with MD100s, and the midwoofers with MW160s. That's for the front. Rears will also receive the same treatment, provided that they are the same driver array. As for the sub, the MW180 might do the trick nicely.

Percy
Hi, Percy,

Could you please advise on how to put an MW180 on rear deck (IB) of an LS400 and make it sound good?

Thanks
Old 07-27-08, 01:26 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Exactly! This ML system is NOTHING in quality to what ML makes from home audio!

The car system is overpriced crap. Speakers with no coss-overs other than a cap, and flimsy parts and they sound like crap. I'm not taking about loudness (SPL) but Sound Quality (SQ).

You will ALWAYS be able to get a FAR SUPERIOR audio system for a MUCH lower price than any system any car manufatuer can provide.

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I don't think there is any "animosity" towards the Mark Levinson system. True it is the best out there, but you have to remember, it is Levinson in name only. It is actually a Harmon International product. I don't even think Madrigal Labs (under the Harmon umbrella) is manufacturing it.

My feeling of what has happened in all the news groups about the differences is from people making remarks about "how superior" it is to the stock system. Then you have all of the people with the stock system that feel like they've been shafted because they 1) either could not get it or 2) decided against it or 3) did not want to spend the money.

While it cost about twice the stock system, I do not think it sounds "twice" as good.

If Mark Levinson the man, were making a system for auto's I don't think anyone except the ultra wealthy would be able to afford it. Madrigal charges these prices for the Mark Levinson home equipment.

Go check out http://www.redrosemusic.com/about.shtml sometime for the "real" Mark Levinson.

I think what has caused the "animosity" are these threads that run in ad infinitum between the "haves and have nots" of the ML system which only spur the "have nots" to feel like they've got a second class system.

I don't see this mess between the 250 and the 350 owners. Everyone should be happy with what they have, because personally everyone has one of the best cars on the road if you're a Lexus!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-27-08, 01:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Exactly! This ML system is NOTHING in quality to what ML makes from home audio!

The car system is overpriced crap. Speakers with no coss-overs other than a cap, and flimsy parts and they sound like crap. I'm not taking about loudness (SPL) but Sound Quality (SQ).

You will ALWAYS be able to get a FAR SUPERIOR audio system for a MUCH lower price than any system any car manufatuer can provide.

Really?

Please tell me where, for less than the $752 I spent on my ML system, I can get a -better- system... installed to look factory, in a 2IS.

Head unit, 14 speakers, amp, 6 disc changer, etc.

Don't forget the 4 yr warranty.

Please be specific in your reply (ie go to this vendor, buy this model unit for this price, and so on).
Old 12-02-09, 11:43 AM
LexHes
Driver

So i bought my 2IS used and i am unsure if it is ML or not.. How can i tell visually? I have the 14 speakers and the sound is great. Any visual way of knowing?
Old 12-02-09, 11:49 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dashan
Hi, Percy,

Could you please advise on how to put an MW180 on rear deck (IB) of an LS400 and make it sound good?

Thanks
You'll need the tear down manuals for this one. Haven't worked on an LS400 before..
Old 12-02-09, 11:50 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by LexHes
So i bought my 2IS used and i am unsure if it is ML or not.. How can i tell visually? I have the 14 speakers and the sound is great. Any visual way of knowing?
It usually says "mark levinson" on the display or main unit. Would be very surprised if they stopped printing ML on the unit.
Old 12-02-09, 11:53 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by Electric
Is there anything guys who dont have the ML system can do to improve their sound system? I wanted the ML but it wasnt available on just about any IS in NJ at the time I was shopping (and I needed a car ASAP). I have the Navi but no ML :-( I must say so, the non-ML sound system is pretty good.
Bolt on some Dynaudio speakers in the place of the stockers. I've had Dyns in the car for over a decade now...and they're still going strong. The ML speakers don't last very long at moderate to high levels. Do a search on the CA/CE board - you'll find lots of problems with the ML amps, speakers, subs, etc.
Old 12-02-09, 12:17 PM
LexHes
Driver

It usually says "mark levinson" on the display or main unit. Would be very surprised if they stopped printing ML on the unit.
oh ok.. dang.. i always thought i had the ML system lol Thanks Percy
Old 12-02-09, 12:18 PM
LexHes
Driver

ps. So without ML, there is no way to play DVD's with the Hack huh?
Old 12-02-09, 02:41 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexHes
ps. So without ML, there is no way to play DVD's with the Hack huh?
you could do the nav hack and get the navtool (I think that's what it's called) and hook up a DVD player in the glove box
Old 12-02-09, 04:06 PM
dis250
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolt on some Dynaudio speakers in the place of the stockers. I've had Dyns in the car for over a decade now...and they're still going strong. The ML speakers don't last very long at moderate to high levels. Do a search on the CA/CE board - you'll find lots of problems with the ML amps, speakers, subs, etc.

Does it make a difference by just adding different speakers to the stock system?
Old 12-02-09, 04:07 PM
LexHes
Driver

^^^ oh really now.. Hhmmm.. that sounds like a plan once 50k comes around. Thanks GiantsFan

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown