IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250/350 - Owners' Problems/Bugs/Gripes/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06 | 10:53 PM
lxlplaylxl
Driver School Candidate

here's my beef.

1. fabric on b pilars is comming off..

2. passenger door panel has a bubble in the leather...

3. brakes squeel

4. noisy sunroof

5. around redline there is a weird buzzing going on from the right side of the car wtf?

6. random rattles when i go over bumps

I took the car to the dealer they said they would replace the door panel and b pilar (has yet to be replaced). They said they could not duplicate the problem with the brakes or the rattles. they said i need to clean and lube the sunroof everytime i wash the car (are u kidding me? i have owned 2 cars with sunroofs and this is the first time i'm hearing about sunroof lube) Well i drove the car w/ a tech and the brake squeeling along with the rattles disappeared. exactly 24 hours after i left the dealership the brakes are squeeling agian.
Old 02-20-06 | 11:21 PM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by lxlplaylxl
they said i need to clean and lube the sunroof everytime i wash the car (are u kidding me? i have owned 2 cars with sunroofs and this is the first time i'm hearing about sunroof lube)
You might look into teflon tape. Both of my Acuras had squeeky moonroofs when closed. The rubber around the glass would rub against the metal roof and squeek. The dealer rimmed the opening with a thin strip of teflon tape it went away, I haven't looed closely enough at the IS's moonroof to know if its similar, but its worth a shot. In my case, I could duplicate the sound by pushing up on the glass from inside car.
Old 02-21-06 | 10:54 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I posted this in another thread, but it's pertinent to this discussion.

I would also like to see power folding mirrors. I'd also like the headlights to come on at night when the car is unlocked. This is a wonderful safety/convenience feature that I had on my Ford F-150 that I really miss.

Other complaints: I hate the little red reflectors on the rear bumper. Not sure they are there for some federal safety rule, but they are as ugly as hell. Further, I have a few complaints about the interior too. Generally the fit and finish and quality are top notch, better than most vehicles for sure, but I HATE the really cheap digital clock that all Toyotas have. It reminds me of those crappy Chinese watches in the bargain bin at Walgreens. The clock should have been integrated into the Nav screen, or a more elegant design should have been used somewhere else on the dash console. I'm also irritated by the fact that the dimmer has no effect on either the nav screen or the clock, they whole dimming process should be integrated IMO.

I also hate the empy hard plastic covers on the left side of the steering wheel where the various options go. I only have the rear sunshade, so I have two crappy looking blocks of plastic where the other option buttons would be. Lexus should simply have a few different dash panels and use them as the options allow. Not too much to ask in a $45k car. I can understand in a Ford Fusion or Chevy Cobalt at half the price, but not in a Lexus of this price.

Also, I find that the wood near the shifter scratches VERY easily, they should have made that area a lot more durable. I'd also appreciate some small coin holder, or an option to get rid of the ashtray.

All that said, I do LOVE the car and smile every time I look at it.
Old 02-21-06 | 12:50 PM
teracon
Driver

Don't know if this is considered a grip or not, but I took in my IS250 for the first "free" scheduled service and was informed that they would have to keep my car for at least a week. It appears that one of the coolant hoses failed, thus causing a leak. I did not notice it because it burned off before it had a chance to leave a puddle.

On the good side, they gave me a 06' RX330 as a loaner...
Old 02-21-06 | 03:57 PM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

my gripes:

no seat handles ( i have no where to put my arms sitting in traffic!
the cup holder is VERY awkard for manuels
they could have intergrated more AUX support besides just an outlet
Steering wheel not EXTREMELY adjustable (verus the GS)
Should came out with a coupe in the first year (would purchased that first)
A coin hopper near the sterring whell aswell (like the GS)
A way to turn of VDIM instead of the complicated brake method.
Did i mention theres no handles on the seats to put your arms!!

overall, i like this car more than the 3 series, its a lovely car. now i would just like a *LITTLE* louder exhaust (maybe by 8db)
Old 02-21-06 | 11:26 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Wow, did not realize that this many people have more then one issue with their new IS.
Old 02-22-06 | 07:30 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I posted this in another thread, but it's pertinent to this discussion.

I'm also irritated by the fact that the dimmer has no effect on either the nav screen or the clock, they whole dimming process should be integrated IMO.
All that said, I do LOVE the car and smile every time I look at it.
The backround lighting for the NAV screen is controlled by the dimmer if turned down below max, which is seperate from the display controls that control brightness and contrast. Not much to say about the clock, I look at it once in the morning on my way to work to see if I need to pick up the pace
Old 02-22-06 | 07:43 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Rear vision is limited.

ML should of been available in the east coast.

I should of gotten black interior (but thats my fault) lol

Wood should of been in the sports package instead of that
silver painted plastic.

Considering i only have about 650 miles on my car so far,
im sure there's more complaints to come
Old 02-22-06 | 07:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tony1
silver painted plastic.
Good grief, man, NO! Keep the wood away! Make it in option if you want, but please, no wood.
Old 02-22-06 | 08:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony1
Rear vision is limited.

ML should of been available in the east coast.

I should of gotten black interior (but thats my fault) lol

silver painted plastic.
they are ramping up production soon, option packages should be a lot more available in the next couple of months

wood doesnt convey the idea of sportyness, hence why its not in the sports package
Old 02-22-06 | 10:31 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

For me I do not have anything that I "hate", just things I wish were different:
1. HIDs standard (something I can do now, but probably wont).
2. Wish you could be able to operate blue tooth and navigation while driving, mainly bluetooth for me
3. Would have liked to see the power adapter in a different place so that I can close the center console
4. Better rear vision
5. Yellow Fogs (again something I can do now)

I also would have reconsidered my color choice (Blue Onyx). I think it looks great when it is washed but it quickly gets dirty. Maybe Crystal white, SGM would have been a better choice for me. I personally dont mind the wood or the silver, I think they both look great but I my wood does scratch easily too....
Old 02-22-06 | 10:56 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by brewkp4
4. Better rear vision
I don't understand people complaining about rear visibility. What car did they have previously (Beetle). I came from an '02 IS, and I don't find rear visibility ANY different. If you set up your mirrors properly, there shouldn't be a problem. The side mirrors are much bigger that previous models. To me, front visibility (A pillar) seems to be much worse than previous.
Old 02-22-06 | 03:02 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't understand people complaining about rear visibility. What car did they have previously (Beetle). I came from an '02 IS, and I don't find rear visibility ANY different. If you set up your mirrors properly, there shouldn't be a problem. The side mirrors are much bigger that previous models. To me, front visibility (A pillar) seems to be much worse than previous.
I agree with this..I think rear AND side visibilty is fine. My only issue is with front upward visibility...it's not a huge deal, just not as good as my last car.
Old 02-22-06 | 07:11 PM
Stanzilla
Driver School Candidate

Actually I did come from a Beetle LOL, and I have no complaints with rear vision.
My only two complaints are ones I have not herd from anyone else.
1. The subwoofer in the back sucks, they have already replaced it once. I leave the base on 0, but any type of dance music makes the rear sub make kind of a clunking noise.

2. This sounds trivial, but it's driving me mad. No matter how much I dry the side mirrors. After I drive away, water pours out of them and leaves streaks all down the side of the car. I've tried twisting them both ways and getting all the water in the cracks everything, but it never fails. I always have streaks and my car is black so you can imagine just how nice that looks.

Otherwise I love the car, even the VDIM, you can push the car sideways around a corner and then it straightens itself, I love it. It makes me feel much more secure driving hard in a car this expensive.
Old 02-22-06 | 07:49 PM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stanzilla
2. This sounds trivial, but it's driving me mad. No matter how much I dry the side mirrors. After I drive away, water pours out of them and leaves streaks all down the side of the car. I've tried twisting them both ways and getting all the water in the cracks everything, but it never fails. I always have streaks and my car is black so you can imagine just how nice that looks.
Do you have a leaf blower?

Quick Reply: IS 250/350 - Owners' Problems/Bugs/Gripes/Issues