IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn off the daytime running light

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 09:38 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, Alright...I have to chime in. I'm sure DRLs add a certain amount of safety to traffic situations and especially so to motorcycles. However, currently, there is no law in CA that requires that you use them. Until there is a law, I will never use them. If there is any visability problem during my driving, I will simply turn the headlights on. I just don't see the point of DRLs in broad daylight. My opinion is that it's not that the other driver can't see you, it's that the other driver doesn't deserve to have a license. Half the people driving now would not have a license in Germany cuz they wouldn't be able to pass the test. DMV testing is a joke! Let's re-vamp the driver training/license testing! Put people at speed on tracks on a variety of potential accident situations. Make it tougher to acquire a license and give the public some real driver's training. I guarantee you there will be less accidents and traffic, without the need for DRLs.
Old 10-24-05, 10:31 AM
cooney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Personalized Settings option list

I know I've seen the complete settings list for the IS250/350, either on this forum or elsewhere on the internet.

Now I can't find it. . Anyone have a link?

Thanks,

cooney
Old 10-24-05, 02:00 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
Alright, Alright...I have to chime in. I'm sure DRLs add a certain amount of safety to traffic situations and especially so to motorcycles. However, currently, there is no law in CA that requires that you use them. Until there is a law, I will never use them. If there is any visability problem during my driving, I will simply turn the headlights on. I just don't see the point of DRLs in broad daylight. My opinion is that it's not that the other driver can't see you, it's that the other driver doesn't deserve to have a license. Half the people driving now would not have a license in Germany cuz they wouldn't be able to pass the test. DMV testing is a joke! Let's re-vamp the driver training/license testing! Put people at speed on tracks on a variety of potential accident situations. Make it tougher to acquire a license and give the public some real driver's training. I guarantee you there will be less accidents and traffic, without the need for DRLs.
you raise an entirely different issue. But since you already know that there are many idiots on the road, I would think that you'd want them to see you and stay out of your way.
Old 10-24-05, 02:09 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You will not see this on the LPS list

Originally Posted by cooney
I know I've seen the complete settings list for the IS250/350, either on this forum or elsewhere on the internet.

Now I can't find it. . Anyone have a link?

Thanks,

cooney
I tried it finally with a scan tool and the tool needed to be version 13.0a or better. Under lighting control it is number 5. It works!
Old 10-24-05, 03:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the link on the GS forum and the same goes to IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184299

I keep mine on(06GS430) and I know it looks nasty,but safety first. Too many idiots around here in Atl.
Old 10-24-05, 09:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I am a proponent of day-time running lights. Putting scientific studies aside, as far as I am concerned, anything that can assist in helping a vehicle to be seen at any time of day or night by pedestrains and other vehicles is a good thing. As a former trial attorney I have heard countless testimony beginning with the words "I looked, but I didn't see any car." In one such case I was sitting in the courtroom and observing a trial involving a motorist who had turned into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. This was several years ago. The motorist tried explaining to the judge that they looked, didn't see the motorcycle, and that the motorcycle had no lights on as it was daytime. The judge allowed the motorcyclist to present expert testimony that all factory-manufactured motorcycles (as their's was) had daytime running lights, so it should have been impossible for the motorist to not have seen the vehicle as they had claimed. This all occurred in the mid-`80s, and I remember thinking that it was a smart thing to drive in the daytime with some type of lighting because it was thus easier to be noticed. To illustrate, if you're ever driving at low-light or dusk (or light mist or fog) conditions try this test - see how easy and how soon you can notice cars driving towards you with/without lights. Once you try this test, you will know what I'm describing.
But we have a couple of physicians on here that say it simply isn't possible for the human eye to see a vehicle with a headlight more readily than a vehicle without a headlight during the daylight hours. Because over time, the human eye loses it ability to see that headlight as it become more use to seeing headlights during daylight hours.

I'm not saying daytime running lights are the answer and I'm not saying there ought to be a law. All I am saying is those people who you put your faith in who are against the daytime running lights are fly-by-night paranoid organizations who put their own selfish interests above yours and attempt to gain favour by making inaccurate claims. Of course there are bad drivers on the road, but a light in their eyes at noon is better to some degree than no light in their eyes at noon.

tqlla, honking the horn will not work, I'm not a scientist but even I know that the ears work differently than the eyes when it comes to light vs. audible noise. C'mon man, I can name at least 10 differences that make this impractical. Do I need to list them?
Old 10-25-05, 07:26 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honking the horn will work, when people are merging left and right. It will not work head on.

Same with DRLs in broad daylight. If you cant see a car coming straight at you in broad daylight... you need more than lights.

I have not said that DRLs are completely ineffective. But they do not decrease daytime head on collisions by 80%. Over time, People will learn to ignore it, like they ignore the car coming straight at them in broad daylight.

In lower light situations, rain, dusk, twilight... People should use their headlights, not a weaker DRL.

Anyways my point was not that they are completely ineffective, but that they are not as effective as advocates say.
Old 10-25-05, 07:51 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Honking the horn will work, when people are merging left and right. It will not work head on.

Same with DRLs in broad daylight. If you cant see a car coming straight at you in broad daylight... you need more than lights.

I have not said that DRLs are completely ineffective. But they do not decrease daytime head on collisions by 80%. Over time, People will learn to ignore it, like they ignore the car coming straight at them in broad daylight.

In lower light situations, rain, dusk, twilight... People should use their headlights, not a weaker DRL.

Anyways my point was not that they are completely ineffective, but that they are not as effective as advocates say.
Every device has its limitation. For example, ABS does not decrease the stopping distance--it merely gives one more control--once the limit of traction/tire adhesion is exceeded, the car slides. But that's not to say ABS is ineffective; it's just not a cure-all. Car alarms don't prevent all thefts and break-ins, either; but they help. Obviously any claim made by the proponent or opponent to a device should be taken with a grain of salt; as we have come to find out with air bags.

DRL's may look stupid to some, but they are not as stupid as those that drive around with their fog lights on during daytime, or when there's no fog at all. Or people who swap out the brake lights with white bulbs. Those are just plain annoying.

Last edited by jlin101; 10-25-05 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 01:59 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
you raise an entirely different issue. But since you already know that there are many idiots on the road, I would think that you'd want them to see you and stay out of your way.
Yes I do, but I do not believe DRLs are the answer. Seems like no amount of light, flagging, horn sounding will make them see you sometimes.
Old 10-25-05, 04:07 PM
ivanpetrov
Driver School Candidate

just turn on your lights and the drls. HIDs are so pretty!!!!

And if you don't have HIDs, you need the drl
Old 10-25-05, 09:33 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jlin101
DRL's may look stupid to some, but they are not as stupid as those that drive around with their fog lights on during daytime, or when there's no fog at all. Or people who swap out the brake lights with white bulbs. Those are just plain annoying.
Also annoying, the people that drive with parking lights on

Lex
Old 10-26-05, 03:07 PM
zumiez83
Driver School Candidate

Default the truth?

ASSUMING THAT SAFETY IS IMPORTANT while driving...
DRLs work great when you are driving away from the sun in the early morning or later afternoon. hmmm you might say.... Next time you are driving away from the sun, LOOK BACK in your rear view or side mirrors. You might notice cars with lights on. When the sun is blinding you in your mirrors or in general for that matter, lights actually help. The amber color of DRLs differentiate themselves from the sun's 6000K ++ color temp.

Some human brains might say HID's often look like the glare or reflection of the sun with their sparkly white blue color. When driving in today's messy environment, that reflection could be off of anything. I should listen to myself because I have retrofitted HID's and keep them on all the time except when stalking people. If I had DRLs I'd have them running in the daytime.

Also, HID's draw less power than normal halogens, in this case DRLs. Don't you think engineers would have just designed cars with only low voltage HID's, if it wasn't for the distinguishable, angled beam, and ugly color of DRLs? Do you think an asphalt colored car with tinted windows should have DRLs or a cemet colored light beam? Then again we only drive about 60mph here.
Turn your ugly DRLs off, I'll check my blind spots twice (if you're gonna be driving that cement colored car) and go to the chiropractor for my neck, and we can all pay more for our car insurance. That's okay, money ain't a thang baby.
he likes to dance constantly
Old 10-27-05, 05:04 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DRL's run a low voltage...

hence the yellowish color. DRL's show up in bright conditions and the fact that they annoy people shows that they are noticed, for sure. There are new warning lights in the Lexus models for Passenger side Airbags that owners notice due to their red/amber colors. After getting accustomed to them your brain tunes them out and they don't require attention. I don't think this effect happens with DRL's because the location of the lights is dynamic and moving. Some 2- lane highways require you to put on your headlights to remind others that you are in a two-way traffic zone. This is due to an unfortunately high number of head-on collisions on those roads. If you don't like DRL's then turn them off at the dealership. You might want to keep your headlights on when travelling on those 2-way roads which seem to have a lot of head-on collisions. Most of the research was done in the Nordic countries which have more extreme daylight effects due to their Northern latitude. Canada likes DRL's too.

Rock
Old 10-27-05, 11:33 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Open the hood, from the passenger side open the plastic panel and unplug the wire from the heatsink. Im planning to do the full DRL mod....
Old 10-27-05, 01:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
But we have a couple of physicians on here that say it simply isn't possible for the human eye to see a vehicle with a headlight more readily than a vehicle without a headlight during the daylight hours. Because over time, the human eye loses it ability to see that headlight as it become more use to seeing headlights during daylight hours.
That's a complete crock of BS. The eye doesn't lose its ability to see the headlight. If you said the brain loses its ability to distinguish, then maybe I might have believed you. But your statement has zero credibility.

Quick Reply: Turn off the daytime running light