IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn off the daytime running light

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 02:43 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Are their any registered owners out there who can access and post this information for us, thanks.
Lexus IS250/350 Personalized Settings (PDF 81.3KB)

Enjoy!
Lex
Old 10-29-05, 05:12 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

So I guess the daytime running lamps are not part of the personalized setting? I don't see it on this pdf.
Old 10-29-05, 07:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR LEX
appreciate it!

i'm having issue with the door locking and unlocking. some of those default settings seem wierd. why is there a difference between automatic and manual? i sure hope my dealership can change some of these, like 2 remote button clicks to lock all doors and motion speeding sensing to lock doors and perhaps putting the car in park unlocks doors. do the doors make a lot of noise when unlocking/locking?
Old 10-29-05, 08:19 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
So I guess the daytime running lamps are not part of the personalized setting? I don't see it on this pdf.
I noticed that as well. Perhaps they no longer allow you to disable DRL

Lex
Old 10-30-05, 12:55 AM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by MR LEX
I noticed that as well. Perhaps they no longer allow you to disable DRL
Looking back through this thread, (a) Lexus has built in the ability to disable DRL using the Lexus scan tool (version 13.0a or better, according to Rockville on 10-24), but (b) it is against Lexus policy for their dealers to disable DRL.

Very strange -- why did they bother to make it possible and then prohibit doing it?

So my earlier question holds, if this really is policy for dealers, are these Lexus scan tools also in independent shops, who presumably aren't bound by Lexus dealer rules?

If so, does anyone know of one near L.A.? . PM me if this is top secret info that you don't want to post.

Old 10-30-05, 07:09 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by cooney
PM me if this is top secret info that you don't want to post.
LOL Sorry I found that kinda funny, top secret. LOL This is no more top secret than the workaround for getting your DVD's to play while you are driving which seems to have been posted here at ClubLexus or at least have seen alot of threads about it. LOL
Old 10-30-05, 07:46 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Lexus has built in the ability to disable DRL using the Lexus scan tool (version 13.0a or better, according to Rockville on 10-24)..
So are these on eBay yet?

Lex
Old 10-30-05, 08:52 AM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
LOL Sorry I found that kinda funny, top secret. LOL This is no more top secret than the workaround for getting your DVD's to play while you are driving which seems to have been posted here at ClubLexus or at least have seen alot of threads about it. LOL
The workaround is known, but what no one is saying is where to get it done.

Are these Lexus scan tools used for diagnostic purposes, or do they exist just to set up the owner preferences (or in the case of DRL, Lexus USA preferences)?
Old 10-31-05, 09:32 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Very strange -- why did they bother to make it possible and then prohibit doing it?

So they can make the software the same for the rest of the world where DRLs are turned off. It would cost more to take that option out.
Old 10-31-05, 11:08 AM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by biker
So they can make the software the same for the rest of the world where DRLs are turned off. It would cost more to take that option out.

Is there someplace in the world which prohibits DRL's? . I doubt that.

So either:
  • as a policy matter, Lexus does not enable DRL's in some jurisdictions -- in which event building the vehicles with an ability to disable DRL's makes sense, but leaves me wondering why they don't let U.S. buyers make the same decision on their own; or
  • Lexus policy is to enable DRL's everywhere -- in which event my question stands: why bother to put in the ability to disable?
I certainly have no problem with Lexus enabling DRL's in the U.S., but I do have a problem with Lexus not allowing it's dealers to change that setting if requested by an owner. . As long as DRL's are not legally required, it really should be my decision whether to use them. . It's not at all like VDIM, which is imbedded in the DNA of the vehicle.

cooney
Old 10-31-05, 01:33 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

It's true that RDL's are not legally required, however, I talked to my insurance salesperson earlier today, and she said that if a car has DRL's, they give 3% off the policy. So maybe it's more because of pressure from the insurance industry than the government, dealers, buyers, etc? Because if this feature is easy to disable, you could just buy a car with DRL's, get the discount, and then turn the DRL's off. If insurers are giving a 3% discount for this feature, it must be worth something - if anyone knows about how effective different safety features are, it's probably the insurance companies, right? In any case, we're all saving 3% because of it (assuming all companies do this - I got my quote from State Farm). I'm guessing that wouldn't be true if they were easily disabled.
Old 10-31-05, 02:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Here's the link on the GS forum and the same goes to IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184299

I keep mine on(06GS430) and I know it looks nasty,but safety first. Too many idiots around here in Atl.
O.K, I have to quote myself from the second page of these thread in case some of you may not spend time to read the whole thread. This is on the 06 GS, but the procedures are the same.
Attached Thumbnails Turn off the daytime running light-drl.jpg  
Old 10-31-05, 03:50 PM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVT-i
O.K, I have to quote myself from the second page of these thread in case some of you may not spend time to read the whole thread. This is on the 06 GS, but the procedures are the same.
Thanks again for this.

Do you know where one might get this done?

My salesman says dealers won't -- against Lexus policy.
Old 10-31-05, 04:00 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Is there someplace in the world which prohibits DRL's? . I doubt that.

So either:
  • as a policy matter, Lexus does not enable DRL's in some jurisdictions -- in which event building the vehicles with an ability to disable DRL's makes sense, but leaves me wondering why they don't let U.S. buyers make the same decision on their own; or
  • Lexus policy is to enable DRL's everywhere -- in which event my question stands: why bother to put in the ability to disable?
I certainly have no problem with Lexus enabling DRL's in the U.S., but I do have a problem with Lexus not allowing it's dealers to change that setting if requested by an owner. . As long as DRL's are not legally required, it really should be my decision whether to use them. . It's not at all like VDIM, which is imbedded in the DNA of the vehicle.

cooney
I'd say it's the first choice and it's just some decision Lexus lawyers decided would be best. You must certainly have the choice to disable - if I were to buy an IS I would have to have an understading with the dealership to turn off DRLs before delivery.

BTW, I doubt VDIM is that embeded that it couldn't be turned off - it's just more specialized than a simple scan tool could achieve. If it's a software thing, it can always be hacked.
Old 10-31-05, 06:34 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Well there it is. But having this info is not really enough, you either need the scan tool or find someone who can do it. I highly doubt any Lexus dealer will perform this function no matter what, even if you demand it and are buying brand new model, they still won't do it.

Quick Reply: Turn off the daytime running light