IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My theory why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VitB6
You have your opinion and I have mine on the 300. I would express it but I fear the retribution so I'll pass.
I don't have an opinion
1SICKLEX= law and the truth

I stopped posting opinions after my 3,000 post
Old 10-22-05, 09:17 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonzo you are acting like a joke. You are such a Lexus homer it truley sickens me. I provided a reason for the non-MT 350, which was backed up by my source (I cannot reveal it) and the Supra webpage pretty much proves that it IS possibly a legit reason. And much more so than the reasons Lexus gives us, For you to just call me a troll for no reason proves your statements are completely out of line and biased.

As far as BT goes everyone knows my feelings. Lexus could have provided a BT system that doesn't need the nav. But then again they could have also provided HID's standard or at least as a standalone option but they didn't. The list goes on... It isn't being a troll genius...it is just pointing out the shortcomings that one would call a car. You seem to protect it like it is a blood relative. Grow up.
I'm thrilled I got a rise out of you. It's always nice when a troll loses at his own game. Off to the BMW forum with you little man.
Old 10-22-05, 09:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
I'm thrilled I got a rise out of you. It's always nice when a troll loses at his own game. Off to the BMW forum with you little man.
Gonzo,

Please read our forum rules on 'response to comments'. This is a warning to you to stop aggrevating and escalating in response to posts you don't like. Members are free to disagree, but do so in a constructive fashion without the name calling and rude behavior. Leave the moderating of this forum to the moderators.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/
Old 10-23-05, 01:38 AM
IS JOE
Rookie

Thanks for posting that Dave. i was begining to think, if I ever disagreed with Lexus, I'd never be able to express it on this forum without being burned at the stake.

Back on topic:
You know, the 2 reasons you guys are debating for the MT not being offered (cost vs demand and emissions) are very related. The emissions idea could very possibly be true from past examples cited. Dealing with the emissions of a MT would lead to even higher R&D costs which makes the cost vs demand trade off even more unattractive for Lexus. So you guys are probably both right!

Group hug!

Old 10-23-05, 03:28 PM
The Chad
Driver

This isn't on topic of the IS, but rather in response to the person who said that the United States has very laid back emission laws. While that's the general conception, if you read any of the European car magazines (I subscribe to Top Gear), they'll disagree and in reality California Emission requirements are some of the strictest in the world.

Old 10-23-05, 07:11 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The Chad
This isn't on topic of the IS, but rather in response to the person who said that the United States has very laid back emission laws. While that's the general conception, if you read any of the European car magazines (I subscribe to Top Gear), they'll disagree and in reality California Emission requirements are some of the strictest in the world.

I was waiting for someone to talk about Cali. I was going to mention California but I thought that some people (or person(s)) would ignore it. I'm glad someone else mentioned it though. I really think that this is the answer to why there is no MT 350 and therefore that would decrease the chance for ever getting a MT 350.
Old 10-23-05, 07:20 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Actually the entire United States is regulated the same for emissions. It's not just California. This was changed several years ago. In the past, used cars that came into California from other states used to have a "smog impact fee" of about $300, but once they got everybody in line they did away with that as well. In addition, used cars sold by dealerships had to do smog test whenever a car was sold, now its 2002 or older only.
Old 10-23-05, 09:43 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Actually the entire United States is regulated the same for emissions. It's not just California. This was changed several years ago. In the past, used cars that came into California from other states used to have a "smog impact fee" of about $300, but once they got everybody in line they did away with that as well. In addition, used cars sold by dealerships had to do smog test whenever a car was sold, now its 2002 or older only.
Ah yes, as I recall a lot of cars having "California Emissions" on the options list and now I don't see or hear that advertised anymore.

Thanks for clarifying my post.
Old 10-24-05, 01:26 PM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

There is some truth to VitB6's statment on emissions. When the EPA tests for emissions, its based on a simulated drive of the vehicle, not a static test at one given RPM like they do when you have your car emissions checked. The vehicle is driven through a predetermined speed and acceleration profile and the emissions recorded. The advantage of the automatic is you can map the shift points of the automatic such that the engine is emitting the least amount of emissions when the vehicle is operated within the EPA profile. For example, the EPA profile doesn't require the driver to go to large throttle angles (high acceleration), so the automatic will purposely shift at low rpm to keep the emissions low. The testing criteria for a manual is much different. I believe you're forced to shift at a given RPM in every gear, if this is the case, having to rev the motor to 4k at every shift will obviously expel more emissions than having the auto shift at 3k. If any of you remember, the Corvette had this problem, that's why its equipped with a shift interlock on its manual. If your running at a low throttle angle (as if you were running the EPA test) the shifter will lock out 2nd and 3rd gear and force you to shift from 1st to 4th. I'm sure Lexus is smart enough to map the engine such that they can get passed the EPA manual transmission criteria but maybe they weren't able to get this done for the initial launch as well as complete durability testing and gauge public interest in a manual 350. Don't give up hope yet.
Old 10-24-05, 02:27 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hofman_dzn
There is some truth to VitB6's statment on emissions. When the EPA tests for emissions, its based on a simulated drive of the vehicle, not a static test at one given RPM like they do when you have your car emissions checked. The vehicle is driven through a predetermined speed and acceleration profile and the emissions recorded. The advantage of the automatic is you can map the shift points of the automatic such that the engine is emitting the least amount of emissions when the vehicle is operated within the EPA profile. For example, the EPA profile doesn't require the driver to go to large throttle angles (high acceleration), so the automatic will purposely shift at low rpm to keep the emissions low. The testing criteria for a manual is much different. I believe you're forced to shift at a given RPM in every gear, if this is the case, having to rev the motor to 4k at every shift will obviously expel more emissions than having the auto shift at 3k. If any of you remember, the Corvette had this problem, that's why its equipped with a shift interlock on its manual. If your running at a low throttle angle (as if you were running the EPA test) the shifter will lock out 2nd and 3rd gear and force you to shift from 1st to 4th. I'm sure Lexus is smart enough to map the engine such that they can get passed the EPA manual transmission criteria but maybe they weren't able to get this done for the initial launch as well as complete durability testing and gauge public interest in a manual 350. Don't give up hope yet.

Thanks for the info.

I'll accept all credit for this discovery when it is officially announced at some point in the future.
Old 10-24-05, 02:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe any of the emission BS. If BMW can manage to get the 330i and 330xi, manual or not, to be certified as ULEV-II, why can't Lexus? This just makes no sense at all.

This is just another lie the sales manager or whomever you talked to made up in order for you to give up waiting and buy whatever is on their lot from them IMO.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-24-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 02:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I don't believe any of the emission BS. If BMW can manage to get the 330i and 330xi, manual or not, to be certified as ULEV-II, why can't Lexus? This just makes no sense at all.
lol, it being an fabrication of mind does not mean that someone can not post it and everyone can not discuss it as it is real, obviously :-). Fact that engine itself has ULEV-II rating obviously means nothing to these people...
Old 10-24-05, 03:09 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, it being an fabrication of mind does not mean that someone can not post it and everyone can not discuss it as it is real, obviously :-). Fact that engine itself has ULEV-II rating obviously means nothing to these people...
When I said BS I wasn't referring to the OP or the thread. This is a good discussion to be sure. It's just my opinion on this topic that the "source high up the Lexus food chain" made up this "BS" just to make people stop waiting and buy whatever is available right now, as Lexus's "official" reason that there isn't enough demand and that they will continually research the market to evaluate the viability of a IS350 MT just doesn't stop people from waiting for one.

BTW, the C350 Sport AT&MT got a ULEV too. Emission simply isn't an excuse.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-24-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 04:29 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

This is just another lie the sales manager or whomever you talked to made up in order for you to give up waiting and buy whatever is on their lot from them IMO.

First of all, I cant' reveal which corporate manager told me this because it isn't supposed to leaked.

Secondly, I don't understand how you can think this is a sales tactic. The person who told me this isn't a salesman. He doesn't work any specific dealer and what I do in my car buying decision certainly doesn't affect himself or Lexus as a whole.

Thirdly, if and only if , it was a sales tactic you are saying that he wants me to buy a car now as opposed to wait at least 1 year? On top of that he is so desparate to 'sell' me a car of which has the highest demand of any car out right now. Currently sales for the IS 250/350 are not hurting and they won't be for some time, so it would really be the worst sales tactic ever.

But as I said, this specific person isn't a salesman and has no interest in selling me a car at all. This was stated in general discussion over dinner and a couple of drinks. This guy is a good friend of my friend from work. I was invited to go to dinner with them and their wives. But I cant' say who it is. He could be wrong, I suppose, but it is the best reason I have heard and more importantly actually makes sense. Again, the crap Lexus gives us about it not being what the market demands is crap as the 3 series BMW and other direct competitors to the IS come with a MT (regardless of its volume of AT over MT). To say that a car that is a direct competitor to the 3 series and then to not come out with a MT to compete with the MT 3 series crowd by saying that people don't want it, doesn't make sense.

I'll remember this thread when it gets announced officially (if it ever does).
Old 10-24-05, 04:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

But as I said, this specific person isn't a salesman and has no interest in selling me a car at all. This was stated in general discussion over dinner and a couple of drinks. This guy is a good friend of my friend from work. I was invited to go to dinner with them and their wives. But I cant' say who it is. He could be wrong, I suppose, but it is the best reason I have heard and more importantly actually makes sense. Again, the crap Lexus gives us about it not being what the market demands is crap as the 3 series BMW and other direct competitors to the IS come with a MT (regardless of its volume of AT over MT). To say that a car that is a direct competitor to the 3 series and then to not come out with a MT to compete with the MT 3 series crowd by saying that people don't want it, doesn't make sense.

I'll remember this thread when it gets announced officially (if it ever does).
Yes, but until it does remember your premise is total rumor, conjecture and heresay Your friend of a friend can easily be presenting his own opinion as fact, happens all the time. Until then everyone else's stated opinion and rationale holds just as much weight

Anybody seen a breakdown of AT vs MT specifically for the BMW 330 ?

Quick Reply: My theory why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT