IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My theory why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 01:21 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My theory why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT

Lexus has been throwing smoke up our asses about the reason why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT by saying that, "it doesn't fit our target demographic". What complete nonsense and we all know it.

Finally, I got a source very high up the Lexus foodchain to admit the 'real' reasoning behind this move, and it has to do with pollution. The IS350 MT expels too much pollution for the strict US guidelines and therefore a MT 350 would have had to have a dumbed down engine to improve the pollution emissions. So instead of offering different engines for the auto and the MT, they decided to just not offer the MT in the 350 at all. This makes sense and I completely accept the reasoning now. This also brings up the question as to the rumors that the IS350 will come with a MT in the next model year. If this is true, then I'm not so sure that it will ever be available with a MT.

Discuss...
Old 10-22-05, 01:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by VitB6
Lexus has been throwing smoke up our asses about the reason why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT by saying that, "it doesn't fit our target demographic". What complete nonsense and we all know it.

Finally, I got a source very high up the Lexus foodchain to admit the 'real' reasoning behind this move, and it has to do with pollution. The IS350 MT expels too much pollution for the strict US guidelines and therefore a MT 350 would have had to have a dumbed down engine to improve the pollution emissions. So instead of offering different engines for the auto and the MT, they decided to just not offer the MT in the 350 at all. This makes sense and I completely accept the reasoning now. This also brings up the question as to the rumors that the IS350 will come with a MT in the next model year. If this is true, then I'm not so sure that it will ever be available with a MT.

Discuss...
A source high up the Lexus food chain? This must be the sales manager at Lexus of kjhklh!
Old 10-22-05, 01:31 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

aside from the is300, what other lexus came with a manual transmission? some of the ES models?

I'm sure emissions might have something to do with it, but im thinking they might not think its cost effective to offer a manual on a new engine when sales for such an option might be lower then expected for it.
Old 10-22-05, 01:32 PM
isdsms
Driver

Not an expert but..... that explanation makes no sense. The engine would be the same and if it pollutes, well then it pollutes with an AT as well. Where's the difference???
Old 10-22-05, 01:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
aside from the is300, what other lexus came with a manual transmission? some of the ES models?

I'm sure emissions might have something to do with it, but im thinking they might not think its cost effective to offer a manual on a new engine when sales for such an option might be lower then expected for it.
The 90-91 ES250 and the 92-93 ES300 both 2VZ-FE and 3VZ-FE respectively were the only ES available with manual trannies. By 1994 model year, 1MZ-FE all aluminum was implemented. The first OBD II compliant engine was introduced to the world and that was the end of manual tranny ES. The reason why the MT version was cancelled...and this was the same story they used before, the MT version's emissions levels were too high for the standard at the time. This carried over to the 94 and newer 1MZ-FE V6 Camry version as well.
Old 10-22-05, 01:35 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yeah, that explaination doesn't make sense to me either. There's been manual IS, ES, and SC's in the past. But we hardly sold any of them and they would sit around on the lot. I don't think a manual Lexus is that marketable. You'd be surprised how many folks out there can't even drive a manual (outside of CL of course).
Old 10-22-05, 01:48 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
A source high up the Lexus food chain? This must be the sales manager at Lexus of kjhklh!
Try regional manager of kjhklh.

But it completely makes sense. MT do pollute more than AT. lexus has never had a MT with as much HP and torque as the IS350 and perhaps it was just too much.

But for Lexus to say that it doesn't fit their target demographic is BS. The cars it wants to directly compete with ALL come with a MT. The IS350 is unlike any car Lexus has ever had and the MT would fly off the showroom floors.
Old 10-22-05, 02:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

please do not post rubish. What "strict" US standards exactly? US has easiest standards on pollution, and only difference between MT and AT car when it comes to pollution is different gearing. IS350 is ULEV II rated for god sakes.

Real reason is that IS300 MT did not sell almost al all.
Old 10-22-05, 02:04 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Well the other Lexus models that did come in a MT did not fly out the showroom. Neither did the MT IS300. Majority of people want automatic. Personally I love driving a MT, but I'd never buy one because I've owned other MT cars and it doesn't make too much sense in Los Angeles traffic. Now if I was rich and had a "weekend car", of course I'd buy a MT, but it would be something like a Porsche or M3, but not IS350. IMHO.
Old 10-22-05, 02:24 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Isn't this the exact reason that the 199(6?) Supra didn't come with a manual transmission? Emissions problems? Seems like it could be a credible reason.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/other-c...ta-supra.shtml

James
Old 10-22-05, 02:27 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Some of you have thousands of posts and yet you fall for a troll? This thread should be locked and the OP put on notice.
Old 10-22-05, 02:31 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Well aren't you just as much of a troll as the next guy? I like to give people equal chances, I'm neither confirming or denying what he's saying, just talking it out.

James
Old 10-22-05, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Well I wont say it's the real reason but I won't say its totally wrong.
I do know that race cars, F-1, NASCAR are are all, gulp, automatics

It has to do with the fact more, it would cost millions to develop a 6 speed manual for the IS 350 and it would sell in such small numbers. Heck Chevy sells more auto Corvettes than manual ones

Every Lexus since 2002 I think has been ULEV II compliant, no other carmaker can say this. I doubt Lexus would begin to make anything that would harm this distinction. I am sure if a manual IS 350 came, it would comply.
Old 10-22-05, 02:42 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Take it easy there guys otherwise this thread will get locked.

Based on what I've seen firsthand at 3 Lexus dealerships over the years I believe the market explanation. Also common sense tells me that if the demand is high, then Lexus employs some of the best engineers in the world. I'm thinking they would have figured a way to put a MT in the beloved IS350 if this was the case. Bottom line is money talks, these cars are mass produced, and there just isn't enough interest in it. Even the current MT IS250 has a very limited production and I don't see people lining up around the block for that car either.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-22-05 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-22-05, 02:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

total and absolute garbage.

either this thread should be locked because the title of this thread improperly reflects that this topic contains fact when it is simply rumor and/or hearsay or the op should be given the chance to modify it before it gets deleted. i would hate for someone new to come here and read thinking these are the answers and maybe repeat them to a dealer or someplace. hurts the site's credibility. "I read on CL that there is no manual tranny because...."

like i said in another earlier thread, there are only perhaps a dozen people out of several billion on the entire planet who know the real reasons and you didn't talk to one of them. and neither did your sources.

edit: appears title has been modified...thank you.

Last edited by kensteele; 10-22-05 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: My theory why the IS350 doesn't come with a MT