IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is the IS too small for anyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 07:10 PM
badbronco8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the IS too small for anyone

I am new to the forum and I am going to buy a new IS or an 01 to 02 LS430 within the next week.I am 6'3" and I went this weekend to test drive an new IS250 and I found it to be a sardine can for someone my size. I am absolutely in love with the way it looks but it felt so small for someone my size. Has anyone else experienced this problem??????Did I have the seat adjusted wrong? I put it all the way back and all the way down.

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 10-23-05, 07:30 PM
Renelsisc
Driver School Candidate

Hello Sir,

I went to test drive the new IS today as well, and was JUST gonna post a thread about this. But since you beat me to it, I think I'll just add my comments to your thread.

I am "only" 6'1, and like you, i absolutely love this car. However, like you, I feel really cramped in it. Although PHYSICALLY, i fit fine in it, with extra room to spare, but i FEEL like i'm cramped. Maybe the version I test drove didn't have a moonroof? perhaps thats why? I dunno. Another thing I noticed is that the windshield seems really "narrow"..i mean, it feels like the windshield is really short, height wise. Did you guys feel this as well?

I mean, the car is absolutely great...but after sitting in it, I am left with hard decisions. I have the new TL, as well as an A4, and it feels like the lexus fits alot smaller compared to those 2? which is very sad, because i really like this car =(

Gary
Old 10-23-05, 07:31 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

I'm about 6 foot and I cant say that I have any problems. The new IS is a little bigger than the old and you can tell a difference. Well at least I could.
Old 10-23-05, 07:33 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Renelsisc
Hello Sir,

I went to test drive the new IS today as well, and was JUST gonna post a thread about this. But since you beat me to it, I think I'll just add my comments to your thread.

I am "only" 6'1, and like you, i absolutely love this car. However, like you, I feel really cramped in it. Although PHYSICALLY, i fit fine in it, with extra room to spare, but i FEEL like i'm cramped. Maybe the version I test drove didn't have a moonroof? perhaps thats why? I dunno. Another thing I noticed is that the windshield seems really "narrow"..i mean, it feels like the windshield is really short, height wise. Did you guys feel this as well?

I mean, the car is absolutely great...but after sitting in it, I am left with hard decisions. I have the new TL, as well as an A4, and it feels like the lexus fits alot smaller compared to those 2? which is very sad, because i really like this car =(

Gary

I would have to say that a moonroof does make it feel more roomie. I agree with you on the windshield being a little narrow makes it a little cramped but doesn't bother me that much. Moonroof does make it better just because you feel that extra room.
Old 10-23-05, 07:43 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Keelyi300
I would have to say that a moonroof does make it feel more roomie. I agree with you on the windshield being a little narrow makes it a little cramped but doesn't bother me that much. Moonroof does make it better just because you feel that extra room.
Actually if there was no moonroof you would have MORE headroom.
Old 10-23-05, 07:48 PM
LexFather

I am 6"5, 215lbs. I drove all the ISs today. I drove one with and without a sunroof. The car without the sunroof did have more headroom. The IS with the sunroof had less headroom but I adjusted the seat lower and didn't have an issue.

As for legroom, this car has more legroom than the majority of cars I sit in, JUST LIKE, the 1st generation IS. No joke, I basically stretched my legs out in the drivers seat.

Having driven more cars and trucks I can count, I know in THIS CLASS of car, the cars feel smaller inside but they drive smaller, so its a tradeoff.

But the IS was not cramped to me, where I could not get comfortable. And you can ask the hundreds of people that know me on this forum, I am not a small guy.
Old 10-23-05, 07:58 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VitB6
Actually if there was no moonroof you would have MORE headroom.
Yes technically but the moonroof gives the illusion that there is more room.
Old 10-23-05, 10:38 PM
badbronco8
Rookie

I fit just fine in the 1st gen IS but I was so cramped in this one that I have decided that I will buy an LS. I am 6'3' 200 lbs Im not overweight so that isn t an issue. Also when I got in it, the back seat had about 3 inches of legroom in the back. With me sitting in that car it is a 2 passenger and I have owned 2 passenger cars before and it gets annoying. If I was a couple inches shorter I would be typing this in the drivers seat of a new IS.

Eddie
Old 10-24-05, 02:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

maybe more people who dont know how to lower their seat properly? (by holding the middle of lowering button, not tilting front/back).

Was the issue with height so you had to move back seat or?
Old 10-24-05, 09:17 AM
ABR
Driver School Candidate

I have to pass on new IS, because of too low roof line. I'm 6.4' and my head is touching roof at window side (seat in lowest possible position). No moon-roof version perhaps will give me more space, but I want all the toys in the car, so there no option really.
Old 10-24-05, 12:06 PM
LexusIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badbronco8
I am new to the forum and I am going to buy a new IS or an 01 to 02 LS430 within the next week.I am 6'3" and I went this weekend to test drive an new IS250 and I found it to be a sardine can for someone my size. I am absolutely in love with the way it looks but it felt so small for someone my size. Has anyone else experienced this problem??????Did I have the seat adjusted wrong? I put it all the way back and all the way down.

Thanks,
Eddie

The new IS performs and handles extremely well. During the test drive while getting on to the onramp, I hit 100+ miles before I know it. WOW, it was fast! But in the end, I realized that my level of comfort was blindsided by the performance of the car. IMO, the interior size of the Lexus IS is similar to the Toyota Corolla.
Old 10-24-05, 03:34 PM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badbronco8

Thanks,
Eddie

well if you put the seat all the way back and down, and still did not work, why didn't you
remove the seat all together? or maybe you can drive with the sunroof open.

Old 10-26-05, 12:01 AM
D&G
Pole Position

Only too small in the back seats. Very tight at the back and leg room really sucks if the 2 person sitting in front is tall. Other than that the size is pretty good.
Old 10-26-05, 08:41 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

The way I look at it....if the people I am driving have a problem with the back seat they can get out hahaha..... plus this doesn't bother me so much because I do not really see myself with a full load in my car for an extended period of time all that much anyway
Old 10-26-05, 10:03 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did some comparisons re: the new IS vs. the cars I'm using now. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis and the front legroom in the IS is greater than the Merc. For sure the shoulder and headroom is more in the Merc but I was surprised at the legroom. For me the IS seat went back too far and I had to move it forward a bit for comfort. (oh yeah, I'm 6'4" and 190 lbs.) After positioning the seat the way I like, the headroom was fine.

When I have passengers in the back seat of the Merc. I have to put my seat forward so that the rear passengers aren't too cramped. Seems ridiculous since the Merc looks like it's a big car. Maybe that's why I figure when I put people in the rear seat of the IS I'll just ease their pain a bit by putting my seat forward a little. I'm used to doing it.

I also drive around a lot in a 15 year old Toy MR2 (just can't seem to get rid of it) and the IS has better leg, hip and shoulder room (naturally) than it does. So....maybe that is why to me the IS seems pretty good. Anyway, I wanted a luxury sport sedan and the IS 350 is the car for me. Does this all mean that the IS is fine for everybody? Nope. But it sure fits me.

Quick Reply: Is the IS too small for anyone