IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon HID lights for 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 09:40 AM
cooney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Once you have a car with Nav, you will never go back to one without...
. . . perhaps the best argument for not getting your first one.

Of course all of these are subjective decisions -- what makes great sense to me may be unacceptable to you.

On the navigation front, you can now get state of the art standalone GPS units for less than $1,000 which you can move from car to car, take on trips, etc. . I've been looking into the Garmin nüvi 350 which is about the size of a deck of playing cards, has pre-loaded detailed maps of the entire U.S., and incorporates the latest "hot" chipset, the SiRFstarIII, which is said to be especially quick and sensitive. . If you leave it in your car, you can dig it out when you need to know about that detour on the way to the airport, etc. . BTW, it can also be hooked into a system that allows it to display traffic conditions in most metropolitan areas.

But these standalone units are small and sit on top of the dashboard, so are not as integrated with the car, aesthetically or functionally, as the $2500 factory system in the new IS. . But you do pay a lot extra for that.
Old 10-24-05, 10:16 AM
The Chad
Driver

Adding HIDs aftermarket isn't a good idea, but not because the auto-leveling. All Hondas (Honda / Acura) that have HIDs sold in the USA do not auto-level. I know my S2000 doesn't. In Europe, however, regulations require a different story.

If the car already has a focused, projector beam headlight, then most likely an aftermarket kit will be okay, because the beam will be focused like factory HIDs. But if the car doesn't have the projectors already, and use just a regular halogen setup, then the super brightness of the HIDs will dazzle oncomming drivers and get you into trouble with the law.

But the NHTSA has ruled that any aftermarket HIDs aren't legal.
Old 10-24-05, 12:12 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Once you have a car with Nav, you will never go back to one without...
I agree 100%. My first GS300 didn't have navigation even though I wanted it. It was a 1999 and the east coast allocations didn't include any. I was told I'd have to special order it so I opted not to do it. When that lease was up in 2002, I wouldn't get a car without it so my 2002 GS300 has it and I'll never get another car without it. Until you have it, you don't realize how much you'll use it.
Old 10-24-05, 12:54 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The Chad
Adding HIDs aftermarket isn't a good idea, but not because the auto-leveling. All Hondas (Honda / Acura) that have HIDs sold in the USA do not auto-level. I know my S2000 doesn't. In Europe, however, regulations require a different story.

If the car already has a focused, projector beam headlight, then most likely an aftermarket kit will be okay, because the beam will be focused like factory HIDs. But if the car doesn't have the projectors already, and use just a regular halogen setup, then the super brightness of the HIDs will dazzle oncomming drivers and get you into trouble with the law.

But the NHTSA has ruled that any aftermarket HIDs aren't legal.
The light pattern has nothing to do with whether it's projector or reflector--both can be tailored to either HID and halogen bulbs. In fact, many Japanese cars come with HID AND reflector (Infiniti G35 and the previous generation of RX/GS come to mind). My understanding is that for each vehicle, the light pattern (whether projector or reflector) is designed differently for HID and halogen. Halogen lights have more diffuse pattern and HID, because of the much higher output, have sharp cutoff. If you look at xenon bulbs and halogen bulbs up close, you'll see that they differ in focal length as well as design.
Old 10-24-05, 01:11 PM
andyroo
Driver

So, If i were to get aftermarket HID lights it would affect my daytime running light in that it doesn't have enough voltage? I don't really get what you're saying...If i were to get aftermarket Xenon lights it would stop autoleveling and it would also take less energy then it was required to?
Old 10-24-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it won't affect. hid is for low beam, DRL is high beam at reduced wattage

regardless, i suggest against hid kits anyway, it just doesn't have what the hid can give you. but of course, price is always a "problem"
Old 10-24-05, 01:53 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by andyroo
So, If i were to get aftermarket HID lights it would affect my daytime running light in that it doesn't have enough voltage? I don't really get what you're saying...If i were to get aftermarket Xenon lights it would stop autoleveling and it would also take less energy then it was required to?
my understanding from reading retrofit HID bulb installation instructions/tips is that the ballast requires a consistent current at startup (of the bulb). If the vehicle has DRL or automatic headlight ON at ignition, there may be insufficient current to turn on HID simultaneously, thus leading to premature wear/damage of the ballast. In fact, it may even void the warranty of the HID kit. I don't know if oem HID come with a different ballast design, or just delayed activation of DRL/automatic headlights until engine ignition is completed. At any rate, the installation instruction specifically states that all DRL's and automatic headlights should be turned off.

see the following link
http://www.xenondepot.com/faq.php
Old 10-24-05, 01:54 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless this changed in the 2IS, autoleveling is there ONLY if you have HIDs. If you don't, then it is not an issue since you will have to manually aim the light anyway.

DRLs are affected only if the HIDs are going in where DRLs are lighted. For example, in a 2GS, putting an aftermarket HID kit into the lowbeams is not a problem. If you put HIDs in the highs, then it is an issue since the DRLs are basically the high beam bulbs running at half power.
Old 10-24-05, 07:42 PM
andyroo
Driver

There's a difference between HID kits and HID? Sorry for the ridiculous questions, I just don't know much about HID's other, so I'm trying to get as much information as possible. HID kits are the cheap kinds that just change the bulbs and HID's is changing the whole system? So, If i were to get HID's and not a HID kit, it wouldn't effect autoleveling/voltage? Is that correct? Or are HID kits and HID's the same thing and it'll affect my car in a bad way? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-05, 09:20 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

the regular headlamps does'nt have auto-leveling. I dont think HID kits will affect your car in a bad way. just got to level it manually afterwards

Last edited by wolverine; 10-24-05 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 09:34 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Get it all!!! No but seriously get the nav. Its just a great feature. The HID is a must for me but if you can stand it without save some money and get the norm.
Old 10-24-05, 09:38 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by wolverine
the regular headlamps doeshave auto-leveling.
Really? I only see AFS (for all headlights) but no auto-leveling unless you get the HID package.

HID bulb = halogen HID look-a-like bulb swap.

HID kit = system including wiring, HID bulbs, HID ballasts. These plug into the OEM halogen housings.

OEM HID = projector or reflector based system. Both comes with HID bulbs, HID ballasts. On projectors, the light is generated through the projectors made for HID output. On reflectors, the reflectors are setup to manage the HID output. These reflectors are NOT the same as the ones for the halogen output.

Retrofit HID - usually a projector system. Aftermarket customization of the housing to contain projector HIDs from a variety of different OEM projector HIDs setups.
Old 10-24-05, 09:49 PM
andyroo
Driver

I'm getting my car this saturday, and I'm goign to tell them to install HID xenon lights into my car, so what should I tell them to install...because htey're going to do it in their Lexus body shop..I want somethign that WON'T effect my car in any bad way, and will be the best lighting for me, and I don't mind spending high amounts of money...but I'd liek to keep it under one thousand if it's possible, but if it isn't that's fine I guess...So can yo uguys tell me what to get? THanks in advance..Neo also thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-24-05, 09:56 PM
Neo
The One

I'm getting my car this saturday, and I'm goign to tell them to install HID xenon lights into my car, so what should I tell them to install...because htey're going to do it in their Lexus body shop..
I don't understand. You did not order the car with HIDs?
Old 10-24-05, 10:07 PM
andyroo
Driver

In the westcoast (where I live) you can't order the car with HID's its not a separate option, you cna only get it with either sports or lux package, which I couldn't find, but I knwo some people got it, I was jsut unlucky. So I'm going to just install it after from the shop, and that's why I'm asking all these questions. So yeah =\

Quick Reply: Xenon HID lights for 350