IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bumper Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 05:50 PM
Trapoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bumper Damage?

I recently put a deposit down on a new IS250. Today I got a call from the dealership telling me that there was a problem with the truck that was transporting the cars. They told me that there was bumper damage on several of the cars, and mine was one of them.

I'm not sure what exactly "damage" meant, but they said due to Lexus's policies they couldn't just repair the damage. They said the bumper would be replaced and I would be notified when it was available to pick up.

My question is, should I be concerned? Are there assurances I should be receiving or demands I should be making? Or is this something that happens all the time and is not a big deal?

Thanks for all the help in advance. Hopefully my second post will be a postitive one, with pictures.
Old 10-24-05, 07:12 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Probably not much you can do other than not take the car. I'm sure the damage is only cosmetic, which they'll fix with a new bumper. Beyond that not much you or the dealer can do.
Old 10-24-05, 07:35 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask to see the car immediately, make sure that the only thing wrong is that the bumper cover got damaged and no structural damage behind it. As long as its only the bumper cover, make sure the color, metallicity, and gloss level match perfectly like the other bumper and with the body of the vehicle and if this is he case, nobody will be able to tell it was replaced and it will be a perfect new car.
If there is structural damage that requires more thna a bumper cover to be replaced then thats a problem.
Old 10-25-05, 07:16 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

without actually seeing the vehicle itself, it's difficult to assess the situation here. By law, Lexus could not sell the car as NEW if repair had been done (even if it was just a scratch or minor fender bender). I would still take the car if there's no structural damage. I know it always hurts when your new baby is damaged (the thought of "damaged good" makes one cringe), even if Lexus is able to restore it to "new" condition. Perhaps you can ask for some kind of "compensation" or discount for the stress it is causing you (good luck on that, as Lexus has the right to sell this car to someone else and make you wait for another one).
Old 10-25-05, 10:02 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
...as Lexus has the right to sell this car to someone else and make you wait for another one.
I think you have it backwards... he has the right to refuse it, and wait for another one.
Old 10-25-05, 10:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I think you have it backwards... he has the right to refuse it, and wait for another one.
sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that if he insists on being compensated for the damage (in addition to the repair), Lexus has the right to sell that car to someone else and get him another one.
Old 10-25-05, 11:03 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Which is exactly what I would do if my comfort level about the dealer replacing the bumper is not good.

In reading through a lot of the threads on Club Lexus I find it so interesting how anticipation of a new model (IS, GS) overtakes our reason and power as a consumer. Interestingly, this phenominon doesn't just apply to cars. Look at what happened when Sony launched the "Playstation 2", or when Microsoft debuted its "XBOX". People were willing to pay any amount to have those machines. [Many people saw an advantage, bought those machines at retail, and then sold them on EBAY for a profit.] But cars seem to do it to us the worst. I remember when the Mazda Miata was first brought out; it was supposed to cost around $8K, but dealers were charging as much as double that price or more to those who wanted to be "first". [I understand that the same thing is happening with the new Pontiac Solstice.] Don't get me wrong. I understand the passion to want to have something badly. However, I have reached the age where my passion for not allowing myself to get ripped-off (i.e., paying thousands more than I should have) will, more often than not, bring my common sense back into focus.

This is a commentary. I am not denegrating anyone who paid the sticker price for the new IS. As long a folks are satisfied with the deals they struck is all that matters.

It's not like Lexus is going to stop making the new ISs after December. And folks who are buying these cars are going to be keeping them for at least 2-3 years - more than enough time for the "newness" of the car to wear-off. People who were in love with the new GSs and waited are now buying those cars for near (or even less) to what Lexus dealers are now charging for the ISs, and they have the same car (for less) as the folks who bought their GSs just a few months ago.

The statement that this person has "the right to refuse and wait for another" is a statement of power - a position from which we, as consumers, should always be dealing. I have learned a great deal from reading and participating on these forums. What I've really enjoyed reading about were those occassions when one of our group calculated a fair price for a car and took a position with a dealer (or dealers) regarding that price. They so felt that theirs was the correct price that they were willing "to walk" if the dealer refused to meet it. I've been in those situations. Sometimes you win, other times you don't. But either way, you never leave it feeling like a chump. Is there any THING ever worth having so badly that we can or should compromise our common sense or personal values for it?
Old 10-25-05, 11:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it seems as if leslie is really thinking hard about IS discounts :-)

a. see the car make sure it is minor (it happens and it is usually but not always minor)
b. make sure they dont repaint it only, REQUEST NEW FACTORY PAINTED BUMPER. Make sure it is factory painted bumper when you receive it!

If you can not get it, then simply refuse the car. DO NOT buy an new car with simply repainted bumper!
Old 10-25-05, 11:56 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Just to comment on the your last comment Leslie RC, in my personal situation I would not be compromising my common sense or personal values by not waiting until later to buy the car when it is cheaper- well at least I do not think I am. This will be my first car. I am in college right now without a car and I rely on friends and overpriced cabs for rides to places I need to go off campus (I go to a college that going off campus to get the things I need is essential). Not having a car has been such a problem that it not longer would be a luxury for me it is a necessity. I am saying this not because I am trying to disagree with you but rather because I wanted to ask for your advice (seems like you have a lot to offer).....

So, with my case (time being a factor and it is not impatience) and considering that I have a limited selection of dealerships to choose from, how would I go about trying to pay less than the MSRP and expressing my statement of power? Again I have no intentions to argue in anyway, just trying to generate some advice that I could use since after all I am a newcomer to this whole process....

* also, if anyone else has any advice for me I would really appreciate it..... thanks

Last edited by brewkp4; 10-25-05 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Want to add one more thing
Old 10-25-05, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

leslie is just frustrated that you cant get it an invoice and he/she wants it realllyy bad! :-)
Old 10-25-05, 12:35 PM
The Chad
Driver

I would imagine that minor delivery damage occurs quite often, and it's nice of Lexus to replace the entire bumper instead of just color matching and repainting it.

If the car is in new condition when you take delivery, I wouldn't see what the problem is? If you don't buy the car, they'll sell it to someone else. But oh no, it was in an accident! Well, not really as it was repaired to new condition. In fact, if they didn't tell you, you wouldn't have known.

I can see the argument though about not wanting to pay full price for a car that was damaged during shipping, and I believe you can get the car inspected from a 3rd party if you really are concerned that it's damaged more than cosmetic. But if it's only cosmetic, and they replace the bumper, warrant the car all the same, then how is it not a new car?

But that argument aside, they won't probably discount it for you, because the car is selling so well right now that you could wait for a new one, and they would be able to sell that one right away, for their asking price. You wouldn't be in a control situation at all.

My $0.02
Old 10-25-05, 04:28 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
leslie is just frustrated that you cant get it an invoice and he/she wants it realllyy bad! :-)
Not true! I considered the IS250 AWD when I decided I needed to get a daily driver and garage my `04 SC430 for the winter. I ended up purchasing an `05.5 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (sport package, 17" wheels, winter package, satellite radio. Tiptronic 6-speed automatic, clear bra, tire/wheel road hazard insurance, 4-year/50K miles free maintenance) for less than $35K (including taxes and tags).
Old 10-25-05, 04:33 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brewkp4
Just to comment on the your last comment Leslie RC, in my personal situation I would not be compromising my common sense or personal values by not waiting until later to buy the car when it is cheaper- well at least I do not think I am. This will be my first car. I am in college right now without a car and I rely on friends and overpriced cabs for rides to places I need to go off campus (I go to a college that going off campus to get the things I need is essential). Not having a car has been such a problem that it not longer would be a luxury for me it is a necessity. I am saying this not because I am trying to disagree with you but rather because I wanted to ask for your advice (seems like you have a lot to offer).....

So, with my case (time being a factor and it is not impatience) and considering that I have a limited selection of dealerships to choose from, how would I go about trying to pay less than the MSRP and expressing my statement of power? Again I have no intentions to argue in anyway, just trying to generate some advice that I could use since after all I am a newcomer to this whole process....

* also, if anyone else has any advice for me I would really appreciate it..... thanks
Have you considered purchasing a certified, pre-owned Lexus, instead of new? Lexus certified cars come with a 4-year warranty. I am suggesting this course and assuming that because you are a student your funds are limited.
Old 10-25-05, 07:30 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Have you considered purchasing a certified, pre-owned Lexus, instead of new? Lexus certified cars come with a 4-year warranty. I am suggesting this course and assuming that because you are a student your funds are limited.
haha funny story (Well kind of)..... I was actually going to buy a pre-owned IS 300 from my girlfriend's brother. It was going to be a straight-up steal for me (03 IS 300, perfect condition, speed chip, 27k miles for $17k). He was leasing the car and I had to wait until the end of his lease before it would become mine (He was going to buy out the lease just for me). He got the new GS so he wasn't even driving his old car. Then a week before it would have become mine, he drove the car and he accidently totalled the car. That was this past summer. So ever since I have been looking for the right car. Decided that I should get a new car and just so happens the new IS is the way I would hopefully like to go. I asked the question not because getting a discount would be the only way I could afford it, but I asked the question because if there is a way I can save money I would like to do that- after all who doesn't want to save money ?
Old 10-26-05, 03:53 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brewkp4
haha funny story (Well kind of)..... I was actually going to buy a pre-owned IS 300 from my girlfriend's brother. It was going to be a straight-up steal for me (03 IS 300, perfect condition, speed chip, 27k miles for $17k). He was leasing the car and I had to wait until the end of his lease before it would become mine (He was going to buy out the lease just for me). He got the new GS so he wasn't even driving his old car. Then a week before it would have become mine, he drove the car and he accidently totalled the car. That was this past summer. So ever since I have been looking for the right car. Decided that I should get a new car and just so happens the new IS is the way I would hopefully like to go. I asked the question not because getting a discount would be the only way I could afford it, but I asked the question because if there is a way I can save money I would like to do that- after all who doesn't want to save money ?
How ironic! However, when I referred to "Certified Pre-Owned", I was referring to Lexus' program for certifying pre-owned (used) Lexus cars. Basically, those cars must meet certain qualifications and standards and then, if they do, Lexus warrants the cars as if they were new and allows dealerships to sell them under "new car financing" packages. If you're angling for a new IS, right now (right now) may not be the best time to negotiate. There are too few of these cars available at the moment and dealers are not budging much from the stickers. Therefore, if your heart is set on a new IS, I suggest that you wait until February and then approach the dealer with your offer.

Quick Reply: Bumper Damage?