IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smokey Granite Mica owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 08:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
To each his own. Personally, I can't stand white, I think the red is too maroon, the green is just hideous, and black is, well, black. SGM is killer
What's the matter, you haven't pissed off folks with silver, breakwater or gold yet.

Funny how different colors appeal to the sexes. My S4 was black, and over the years, probably 99% of the compliments I've gotten on the car have been from guys. With the (white) IS, I've gotten far more compliments on the car from women than from men. Still haven't decided if that's a good thing.
Old 01-25-06, 08:57 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
What's the matter, you haven't pissed off folks with silver, breakwater or gold yet.

Funny how different colors appeal to the sexes. My S4 was black, and over the years, probably 99% of the compliments I've gotten on the car have been from guys. With the (white) IS, I've gotten far more compliments on the car from women than from men. Still haven't decided if that's a good thing.
Oddly enough, I like breakwater blue, but even my wife thinks it looks too feminine. Silver is just too boring. So there, 2/3rds more people pissed off

I had a black Miata, and vowed after that car to never buy black again. It just shows too many flaws if it isn't perfect. And I do confess that, while in general I don't find white an attractive color, it does look good on the IS. I wouldn't buy one, but it's nice.

SGM is just nice and evil... and easier to care for than black.
Old 01-25-06, 10:24 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had decided on SMG with black interior...sitting by itself it looks great!

Just recently,however, with more inventory coming in I've twice seen an SMG IS sitting side-by-side with a Black Onyx IS. While SMG looks great, in a side-by-side comparison like this the Black Onyx just looks better. It surprised me at first, but I had to admit the Black Onyx just looked better especially with the aggressive lines the IS has. Almost hated to admit it as I know Black takes a lot more TLC (had a black car before). But then again the IS looks soooo good in Black!

Last edited by LSUFanMan; 01-25-06 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 12:15 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus did a great job on the colors. I ordered a SMG but I find myself wanting the black, matador red or the glacier. I guess I want what I don't have.
Old 01-25-06, 12:59 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I think SGM is great, but I personally got a little sick of the color after seeing it several times. When the dark grey on the previous gen IS came out in 2001 I thought it was the most amazing color, but after awhile I got sick of it.
Old 01-25-06, 01:20 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Nope they are totally different colors. Smoky Granite Mica is a color of it's own. Black Pearl on the SC430 is definitely black w/metallic flake. SGM is a gray color which is actually more gray than Flint Mica (GS, RX and etc).
Actually, when I registred my VIN on the Lexus sight it came up with my color as Black Pearl. I always thought that was wrong; that there was something wrong in their database.... until last night when I tried to order a spoiler at my.is in SMG. When I selected my color, SMG, it had Black Pearl in parentheses next to it. I think they're one in the same.
Old 01-25-06, 04:17 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Actually, when I registred my VIN on the Lexus sight it came up with my color as Black Pearl. I always thought that was wrong; that there was something wrong in their database.... until last night when I tried to order a spoiler at my.is in SMG. When I selected my color, SMG, it had Black Pearl in parentheses next to it. I think they're one in the same.
I did the same thing.. My sticker says Black Pearl. Once I ordered touch up paint, I noticed SGM and Black Pearl had the same color code. I figure all of the ones built in Sept probably say Black Pearl on them.
Old 01-25-06, 08:26 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I bought the SGM just because Black is harder to take care of and I get EXTREMELY irritated w/imperfections in my paint/sheetmetal. Because of the flake it's harder to see swirls and chips are less noticeable imo it's just more multi-dimensional. But yes, the black looks sleeker and more agressive and a lil better imo. But I've had a black car..and oh my!
Old 02-20-06, 01:56 PM
mogrefy
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree... test driving a Black car yesterday, it looked absolutely amazing all clean. That being said, I just don't think I'm up for the maintenance and I'm pretty ****. I'm pretty sure the SGM is what I'll go with. Breakwater blue is intriguing but as I guy, I just don't think I can bring myself there.

And as much as I like the silver... it seems to match MANY other cars on the road (honda, bmw, pretty much any dealer you want to throw out).

To each their own though... there is a pretty good pallet overall and I'm sure I would buy 3 or 4 other colors if they didn't have SGM.

Last edited by mogrefy; 02-20-06 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-20-06, 04:45 PM
Robnbill
Driver School Candidate

We picked up our car on Friday. It is SGM. The funny thing was they fixed the sticker now to read the correct color rather than the Black Pearl. The color looks great. I agree with the black looking fabulous, but I know I would never have the patience to keep the car looking good. The SGM should be much easier to keep.
Old 02-20-06, 04:54 PM
casey225
Pole Position

SGM was my first choice for the longest time, but when I went to place my order, I changed to BOP at the last minute. Mainly b/c I already have a Toyota similar to SGM and wanted a different color. I really like it alot, and it doesn't show nearly as much crap as my black 4Runner.
Old 02-21-06, 07:12 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by casey225
SGM was my first choice for the longest time, but when I went to place my order, I changed to BOP at the last minute. Mainly b/c I already have a Toyota similar to SGM and wanted a different color. I really like it alot, and it doesn't show nearly as much crap as my black 4Runner.
SGM and BOP were my two top colors. I think both look REALLY sharp. I went with whatever one I could get the soonest with the options (or lack thereof) I wanted.