IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interesting observation while I was using Zaino...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 08:52 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Well buying a $40K car and spraying on wax from a bottle at your local auto store is something I can't phantom. What you invest....you reap the results. I'm not saying a brand new car needs a clay bar treatment, claying takes alot of time and energy but the result on an older car is mind blowing to run your hand across the paint and feel likesmooth glass. Yes Zaino is some work but for me it's not just the work it's getting to know your car all the curves and fine details that someone created in their mind and you have the end result in front of you to enjoy. We live in a microwave society, we want things too quick, spray on spray off. What happen to the days when you fell in love with your car.
I would never recommend against claying. I clay before I polish every time, on every car I detail. Claying isn't what makes the "Zaino process" more time consuming than other products.

Please don't assume that because I recommended products that are easy to use that I don't spend time on my car. I just know that people who do spend a lot of time on their cars, like us, are rare.

Again, I am not going to turn this into a Zaino vs. the world argument, but you have to realize there are literally thousands of LSP's out there and it's gotten to a point where the differences between them are so minute it's impossible to tell is a car has Zaino on it, or one of hundreds of other products... Zaino is a fine product that requires quite a bit of work that the average person might not be willing to do. So, instead of doing nothing, it is beneficial for them to use an easier product that they can apply in the time they have, which will give their car the same protection as Zaino, just for a shorter period of time (how much shorter depends on the product, maybe sealants have similar durabilty to Zaino). There are products on the market (Optimum Car Wax or Menzerna Acrylic Shield come to mind), that can achieve indistinguishable visual results from Zaino, and at the same time get the same protection, just for 4 months instead of 6, meaning you need to re-apply more often. Thing is, the application of OCW or Acrylic Sheild takes less than 5 minutes. If someone is unwilling to do the "Zaino" routine every 6 months, why not recommend something which will protect their paint that they *are* willing to do? I am not promoting not spending time on your car, I am just realistic about it. Not everyone is like us and is going to qd their car daily.

Tropheus - claying is never a bad idea. Just make sure to do it like Zaino suggests. Re-mold the clay often, if you drop it, ditch it, etc... You don't want to induce marring. If you clay correctly it will leave your paint silky smooth, which will enhance how Zaino looks.

Last edited by picus; 10-29-05 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 11:42 AM
roadrocket
Driver School Candidate

the whole purpose of "waxing" or "sealing" your car is to protect the cars paint from exposure to the elements, it does this by providing an additional "sacrificial" layer between the paint and the enviroment that the paint is exposed too. your car is driven in a enviroment that, by it's very nature is going to oxydize the surface of the paint, by applying the wax or sealant it takes longer for that oxydation to occur.
Old 10-31-05, 03:03 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Yup, it's because Volvo uses a water based solvent which is much better for the environment (the actual paint is pretty much the same as any premium manufacturer's.) Volvo says you need to wait 6 months from date of manufacture - not purchase. Generally speaking between shipping time, average waiting time on the lot, etc. you won't have to wait all that long.

Originally Posted by IS350spd
It depends on the paint. Our 2005 Volvo XC90 says specically in the owners manual that the car can not be waxed for 6 months, or the paint may not properly harden. I can tell you from experiance, that the paint was pretty soft in the begining. That is not to say it is the same for Lexus paint.
Old 10-31-05, 04:14 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Seeing as my car was manufacturered in 9/2005...I only have to wait 4 more months to wax my car

Lex
Old 10-31-05, 08:40 PM
rdollie
Rookie

West Coast deliveries take the better part of weeks from the factory. Did you have a custom order by chance?

Originally Posted by MR LEX
Seeing as my car was manufacturered in 9/2005...I only have to wait 4 more months to wax my car

Lex