IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Special Orders: Tracking your car in the process

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 07:38 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Orders: Tracking your car in the process

When I asked my dealerhsip if I could get a production date, estimated ship, arrival in port date, etc. I was told that they dont have any of that information and the car will simply "pop up" in the inventory once it arrives in port. Is this true? Is there really no way to track your car during the order process? I know Audi gives you more detailed informatio. I have a hard time believing the dealership is in the dark the whole time and then one day it just arrives at the port....
Old 10-31-05, 11:04 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Default Somewhat true....

The car will indeed just pop up, but it will pop up once the allocation has been assigned. Which means, once it gets loaded on the boat, approximately 2 weeks prior to it arriving at dealership. At that point the dealer can track the progress daily Monday - Friday until it comes to dealership. You should be able to get some kind of receipt or computer order prnt out with the color and options on it. Just ask to see if they can fax or email a copy to you. Always get something in writing. It ensures no confusion or mistakes later down the road. Good luck.
Old 11-01-05, 03:54 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

With Vovlo you can track the Ship its on and where it is in the Atlantic. Track the fact that it is sitting on the ground waiting for Customs to do their thing and then track that it is on a truck moving to the dealer.

For Lexus buyers waiting for arrival by train Lexus only knows that they gave the car to the railroad but they lose tracking as it moves East from port.
Old 11-01-05, 08:15 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by upbull340
With Vovlo you can track the Ship its on and where it is in the Atlantic. Track the fact that it is sitting on the ground waiting for Customs to do their thing and then track that it is on a truck moving to the dealer.

For Lexus buyers waiting for arrival by train Lexus only knows that they gave the car to the railroad but they lose tracking as it moves East from port.
Let me clarify my previous post.
As soon as it leaves Japan, the dealer can start tracking it. This is called "Allocation" or "A" catagory. It takes about 2 weeks to arrive from that point. Once it comes to port from the boat and loaded onto a truck it is in "Freight" or "F" catagory. Once it arrives to dealership it is "On Ground" or "G" catagory. The dealer can check every day from Monday through Friday as the computer will update the progress automatically. However, until it "pops up" into dealer allocation or "A" catagory, there is nothing for 3 months, which is why it is a good idea to get some kind of computer print out or fax copy of your initial order as a receipt.
Old 11-01-05, 11:13 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Even as a Toyota employee it's pretty limited what you can see. We basically get the estimated build date and get periodic updates from that point - Being Built - Built/Unshipped - Built-Shipped - and at that point it's pretty much the same as the dealer tracking after Allocation. I'm not going to rush anyone. Our ISs should be coming out of Tahara which is the finest automotive plant in the world. I wouldn't want to rush perfection.
Old 11-01-05, 04:04 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Let me clarify my previous post.
As soon as it leaves Japan, the dealer can start tracking it. This is called "Allocation" or "A" catagory. It takes about 2 weeks to arrive from that point. Once it comes to port from the boat and loaded onto a truck it is in "Freight" or "F" catagory. Once it arrives to dealership it is "On Ground" or "G" catagory. The dealer can check every day from Monday through Friday as the computer will update the progress automatically. However, until it "pops up" into dealer allocation or "A" catagory, there is nothing for 3 months, which is why it is a good idea to get some kind of computer print out or fax copy of your initial order as a receipt.
thanks for clarifying the process. I did indeed get a receipt from the dealership. It looks like a copy of the invoice/order sheet and it lists the options i ordered, the color, and the $500 deposit i put down on the car. My salesperson also wrote down that the deposit is fully refundable if we cant come to an agreement on the selling price of the car, which was nice.

anyways, thanks for letting me know how it works
Old 11-01-05, 05:22 PM
Onyx-IS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Even as a Toyota employee it's pretty limited what you can see. We basically get the estimated build date and get periodic updates from that point - Being Built - Built/Unshipped - Built-Shipped - and at that point it's pretty much the same as the dealer tracking after Allocation. I'm not going to rush anyone. Our ISs should be coming out of Tahara which is the finest automotive plant in the world. I wouldn't want to rush perfection.
By the way what part of Toyota do you work for? I work for Toyota too...for some reason I have not received any updates as to whether it has even been shipped. I've had my is350 on order since mid-July...still nothing, but i have my Order number and Request ID along with the specs/options of the car from July. I'm curious as to what you do to find out status on your vehicle order? Toyota_F1?
Old 11-02-05, 05:55 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

I work for TFS and I'm in the same boat you are... no shipping info, no build date... even with your early order figure 2-3 months from the release date. From what I heard no one but management got 1st allocation cars.
Old 11-02-05, 06:55 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm getting a little impatient, no word yet on any status, no order form to review, not even a confirmation the 350 has been ordered, let alone if they got the colors and options correct. I have called twice, each time seven days apart. We get lip service. They always say, " yeah order is placed, everything looks good, got the 18 inch wheels, got the spoiler, checking on the HKS exhaust, your front of the line, no heat". Whatever the hell that means. I just wish they would follow through on their words. They always say," oh we forgot, we're putting a copy of the order in the mail to you for your review." Cashed the deposit check on the 24th OCT, didn't hesitate on that . Then we wait a week, nothing shows. Friday it will be three weeks. The warm and fuzzies are starting to wear thin. Don't mind waiting on the car, kinda intrigued that we actually are having one built to our specs, even though its picked out of a catalog, its cool though. But I tell you, I can get this half *** treatment at the Pontiac dealer here in town. I don't have to drive 150 miles one way to the nearest Lexus dealer for it. All I want is a order confirmation , so I don't wait three or four months and a IS350 shows up with damn tan interior.
If they keep on providing no feedback as to the progress of order, or even WHAT was ordered, I'm going down the road to the next Lexus dealer, and getting a GS that's on the lot.
Grrrrrrrr
Old 11-02-05, 08:07 PM
heyheyhey
Rookie

I suggest having a deposit down at several different dealers. None of the dealers near me (2) had the color i was looking for (crystal white) coming with in the next month, so I put another deposit at a dealer that said they can get my car within the next couple weeks. However one of the dealers near me called me and pleasantly surprised me with the news that my Crystal White 350 was here. If you tell all th dealers that you have deposits at different locales I think they try harder to find the car you want to win your business.
Also put depsit down through check card or credit card... Its a ***** to get your refund from other dealers if you pay check, you have to wait a couple days for them to process it, where as cards they can just credit you the amount immediately.
Old 11-02-05, 08:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by heyheyhey
I suggest having a deposit down at several different dealers. None of the dealers near me (2) had the color i was looking for (crystal white) coming with in the next month, so I put another deposit at a dealer that said they can get my car within the next couple weeks. However one of the dealers near me called me and pleasantly surprised me with the news that my Crystal White 350 was here. If you tell all th dealers that you have deposits at different locales I think they try harder to find the car you want to win your business.
Also put depsit down through check card or credit card... Its a ***** to get your refund from other dealers if you pay check, you have to wait a couple days for them to process it, where as cards they can just credit you the amount immediately.
You're confusing "findng a car" with "special ordering a car". What would happen if they didn't/couldn't find a crystal white. Would they have ordered you one? Probably not. That's why a lot of us have put in Special Orders, because the configs we're looking would very likely never appear as a Lexus "blessed" build-your-own config.
Old 11-03-05, 06:29 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Update: Good news this time. Confirmation of order by Lexus showed up in the mail today. It shows what car the dealer had allocated to them, that they had to give up in there allocation, for the car we special ordered. It has the inventory computer order print out with the color and options and accessories on it. The dealer gave up a Black on Black 250 for our Black with Grey interior 350 w/Luxury pkg+ 18's. Everything was in there. Whew, we feel much better now. I guess we just needed to be patient . Now they said we have to wait two weeks and we should get a build number. They will send us that # and then we wait three months, or more. You know, the whole slow boat from Chi,,,, I mean Japan thing.
No problem, in Virginia, if I don't own it on Jan 1, 2006, I don't have to pay any personal property tax on it until OCT 2007. What a bargain!
It's something what a little piece of paper can do. Confirmation is a great thing. It will give you back the warm & fuzzies, everything is right with the world. I don't have to find another dealer. I take back all the bad stuff I said. I like my dealer. He is getting the job done!
We'll see how we're doing in two weeks .
Old 11-04-05, 11:23 AM
meta1
Driver School Candidate

Man I hope I don't have to wait 3 months for my order.Im placing it next week. My salesman told me the more options, the longer the wait. I told him all I wanted was performance package along with color and interior choice, he said that shouldn't be a problem. If I wanted Navi or Mark Levinson it would take up to 3 months.