IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$795 for 3M clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 10:00 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Picus, I've used both Xpel and 3M, and interestingly, I've had better results with 3M. You're dead on with regards to the bugs and "polish line", very good points. I remember hearing about a 3rd manufacturer that's supposed to be much better than Xpel and 3M, but I could never get the name. Do you happen to remember the names of some other mfrs?
The differences between the products are pretty small, so it makes sense that folks will have different experiences with each. I know people that swear by the 3M, and others than swear by XPEL. I was just going by my experience with them - the 3M, to me, seems a little less durable but that is of course offset by the lifetime warranty. The fact that they've been so good to you says a lot. There are a couple other manufacturers, if I had to guess I'd say the third most common is probably Llumar. I see Venture and Clear-Shield ocassionally too. Venture has caused some problems for some of my customers, but that might just be anecdotal. Llumar I am seeing more and more often and it seems to be a quality product.

But again, it all comes down to the installer. If installed correctly none of the brands of clear bras should peel or crack. They will all yellow over the course of many years, but I've never seen any significant differences between them in that regard.

diablo1 - this actually goes along perfectly with a story I read over at my.is yesterday about a guy buying a black IS that they told him "needed" a $700 paint sealant. The idea is they're trying to turn a profit on a process that costs them much less than the price they're given you. I'd just tell them to put the bra on for $500 and if they're unwilling you'll just get it elsewhere. Worst case scenario is they say no, I doubt they will.

Last edited by picus; 11-01-05 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 10:02 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
I'm going to pick up my new IS350 later this week. The dealer is trying to talk me into 3M protective film for the front and rear bumpers. I've read up on it and it seems like a good idea. Even though I'm only leasing, a few hundred dollars to keep the car's bumpers looking good is probably worth it. But, Lexus of Manhattan wants $795 for it! This includes front and rear bumpers only - not even the hood, rearview mirrors, etc. From what I've been able to find online, this is a pretty expensive price. Anyone have any advice? Is there a third party shop where I could get it done for a more reasonable price? Thanks for your help!
That is high.

I just had clear bra installed on the M5 for $700.

That included the hood, light, both mirrors, and front bumpers.
Old 11-01-05, 10:03 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by picus
The differences between the products are pretty small, so it makes sense that folks will have different experiences with each. I know people that swear by the 3M, and others than swear by XPEL. I was just going by my experience with them - the 3M, to me, seems a little less durable but that is of course offset by the lifetime warranty. The fact that they've been so good to you says a lot. There are a couple other manufacturers, if I had to guess I'd say the third most common is probably Llumar. I see Venture and Clear-Shield ocassionally too. Venture has caused some problems for some of my customers, but that might just be anecdotal. Llumar I am seeing more and more often and it seems to be a quality product.

But again, it all comes down to the installer. If installed correctly none of the brands of clear bras should peel or crack. They will all yellow over the course of many years, but I've never seen any significant differences between them in that regard.
I will take Xpel over 3M's kit. Even though Xpel's material is also made by 3M, the Xpel film is slightly thicker and can withstand more direct hit on the film.
Old 11-01-05, 10:14 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Yeah I drive 120 miles a day to work on la freeways with a bunch of trucks. I bought my IS 350 on sunday and am hesitant on driving it (given the money I spent and the car's pristine condition).. Will the clear bra be invisible or will it have a notcieable effect on the car's appearance?
Old 11-01-05, 10:19 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Either way it won't cost them the sale.

One thing that is sketchy though is that they told me $795 when I was at the dealership, and then a day or two later on the phone, they said they checked and it was $995. I told him I clearly remembered him saying $795 when I was in his office, so of course he said he'd "need to double-check", and came back to me with the $795 price. So they are clearly trying to turn a big profit on this option. Annoying!
I hear you. The price change certainly doesn't help!

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that you would call off the whole deal over the clear bra. I was more thinking that if you discuss this as you're ready to sign, they might be more accomodating since they want to complete the deal. It's worked for me before, and of course, I've never had to make my request in the form of a threat to walk away. It's more of a "come on, work with me on this" type of attitude as opposed to this:

I hope this makes better sense.
Old 11-01-05, 10:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I was just going by my experience with them - the 3M, to me, seems a little less durable but that is of course offset by the lifetime warranty.
The warranty of these products isn't worth squat. I had a rock go thru the film to the paint. The only way to get them to cover the damage was to file a claim with your insurance company. Then they'd pay the remainder of the cost after your insurance deductible. Who's going to file an insurance claim for rock damage?!?
Old 11-01-05, 10:35 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusboi
Yeah I drive 120 miles a day to work on la freeways with a bunch of trucks. I bought my IS 350 on sunday and am hesitant on driving it (given the money I spent and the car's pristine condition).. Will the clear bra be invisible or will it have a notcieable effect on the car's appearance?
If installed correctly it will be invisible except for a line where it ends that you'll see from a couple feet away. It's more noticable when the car is dirty (the line, that is), otherwise it should be totally transparent.
Old 11-01-05, 10:36 AM
caha14
Racer

Hey Picus, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into some of the other brands next time around.

Given your statements and chiawei's, I'll also take another look at Xpel. My experience was 4 years ago, so the product has probably improved a lot in that time. I actually remember the installer (who did work on the side) asking me where I got it, because it didn't look that good to him. And the film did look like a war zone after less than 2 years, though it saved the paint. But if you guys say the film is thicker, I'm all for it.

Last edited by caha14; 11-01-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 10:38 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The warranty of these products isn't worth squat. I had a rock go thru the film to the paint. The only way to get them to cover the damage was to file a claim with your insurance company. Then they'd pay the remainder of the cost after your insurance deductible. Who's going to file an insurance claim for rock damage?!?
That's something I hadn't thought about... I haven't had such serious damage but I agree that scenario stinks.
Old 11-01-05, 11:04 AM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Personally the best clear bra is stoneguard.

www.stoneguard.com
Old 11-01-05, 11:08 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

A good thread in the Detailing forum FYI:

ClearBra Tips & FAQs:

-J
Old 11-01-05, 11:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer is trying to talk me into 3M protective film for the front and rear bumpers. I've read up on it and it seems like a good idea. Even though I'm only leasing, a few hundred dollars to keep the car's bumpers looking good is probably worth it. But, Lexus of Manhattan wants $795 for it! This includes front and rear bumpers only - not even the hood, rearview mirrors, etc.
I am not sure if anyone has addressed this but why the read bumper. Obviously, you can if you want to but the likelihood of rock chips and such is much smaller back there. Not doing the rear should drop the price too.
Old 11-01-05, 11:39 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Part of it is also to protect from small dents/scratches that you get from parking on the street... Protection from the people who parallel park by crashing into the car in back, putting it in drive, crashing into the car in front... Some of the parking jobs you see out here are really unbelievable
Old 11-01-05, 03:13 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexusboi
Unless you are standing extremely close to your car, you won't notice it at all. No distortion what so ever.
Old 11-01-05, 03:15 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Neo
I am not sure if anyone has addressed this but why the read bumper. Obviously, you can if you want to but the likelihood of rock chips and such is much smaller back there. Not doing the rear should drop the price too.
To prevent you scratch up the paint when taking things out of trunk or put it in.

Quick Reply: $795 for 3M clear bra?