IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Comparison Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 02:46 PM
Gian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison Question

If the IS is meant for sportier driving while the ES is geared towards comfortable driving, and the GS being a healthy mix of the two; how does the IS rate as far as smoothness and quietude go? Compared to an ES (and maybe the GS), can it be driven to mollify bumps on the road and etc. (I'm referring to the IS 350 without the sport-tuned suspension, in particular, by the way)?

I'm only 19 and I currently drive a 1999 Camry XLE V6; but frankly, it's been a great companion as far as reliability goes (and that's about it). I drive it hard and it's lack of responsiveness has been kind-of unsettling (especially when my friends come along), so I'm really opting to get a new car.

But, so far: I've only been able to establish my automaker of preference, which is needless to say - Toyota. Compared to my experiences with Honda, Nissan and others, Toyota's never let me down. I can only imagine what their luxury division has to offer.

I've done some research, and I think the IS 350 suits my preferences well. But, I'm also contemplating on waiting for the next ES (the 2007/8 ES Hybrid, in particular) as I hear it's a premium Camry (and I'm all for that), and then some. It's handling capabilities are questionable, but surely it's an upgrade from what I drive now, right?

I'm torn for now. But, I'd like to know (from you IS 350 owners) how smooth is the IS compared to the current ES/Camry? Do you guys feel every nasty bump and crack on the road? I've heard horrible testimonies on its "harsh" ride, but I'm not quite sure I believe so. Thanks.

peace,
Gian

P.S. Please don't advise me to opt for the GS. It just doesn't appeal to me. If I were to purchase one, it would be the 450h (which is WAY out of my league).
Old 11-05-05, 04:06 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ES and Camry both have extremely cushy rides; that's what they are designed to do, dampen every bump for you. so without a doubt, if that is a priority to you, the IS w/ 18's might come as a shock esp if you are used to the Camry ride...
Old 11-05-05, 05:02 PM
jeffyee123
Rookie

I used to drive an accord, which is a lot less cushy than a camry, but you get a nice feel for the road. I'd say the IS is a nice mixture of both, maybe leaning more to the accord than the camry... just do a test drive and see for yourself though!
Old 11-05-05, 05:14 PM
BradmanOH
Driver School Candidate

Default Comparison

I think you will be surprised by the fluid feel of the IS. The 18 inch wheels are a bit stiffer but compared to some other cars I have owned the IS350 has a great ride. I can't compare it to a Camry, but I have been very pleased with the mix of performance and luxury.

I think you will find it quite an upgrade from the Camry. The power alone will knock you socks off.

Bradman

Last edited by BradmanOH; 11-05-05 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-05, 06:25 PM
Gian
Rookie

Cool. Thanks for the responses.

Old 11-06-05, 02:01 PM
Gian
Rookie

I just read an article on that my.IS website and the driver claimed the IS 350 w/ Sport Package soaked up road bumps nicely. I thought sport-tuned supensions sacrifice road comfort for increased handling (i.e. less body-roll)?
Old 11-06-05, 04:30 PM
carenthus
Driver

I would recommend you look into the new IS. Since you are 19, I think you will enjoy driving the sporty IS more in the long run. Besides it matches your age range more. That's my opinion, but ultimately it's up to what your needs and wants are.
Old 11-06-05, 04:50 PM
Gian
Rookie

Yeah, ever since I've posted the topic, I've been having dreams about this car. (LOL)

Just a little off-topic, though: I'm really hoping they incorporate their hybrid performance technology into this car in the near future. Maybe if I patiently wait a year (and hopefully accrue a larger down payment, and simultaneously increase my recently-established credit score), I could afford every goody with it.

A year's worth of sacrifice is a lot easier said than done, though.
Old 11-06-05, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Being younger, I recommed the IS. Its also smaller to park (in those smaller college parking spaces) and maybe consider a 350 without the sport setup.

I didn't find the IS to be harsh at all. The ES is really on the other end though, very floaty with minimum feedback. Cushy but I'd get the IS over the ES anyday of the week
Old 11-07-05, 01:06 PM
Gian
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Being younger, I recommed the IS. Its also smaller to park (in those smaller college parking spaces) and maybe consider a 350 without the sport setup.

I didn't find the IS to be harsh at all. The ES is really on the other end though, very floaty with minimum feedback. Cushy but I'd get the IS over the ES anyday of the week
I'm glad you said so, because I can't tolerate BMW-like rides. Now that I've read chiwai's experience with the IS 350, I'm totally sure the IS is my next car.
Old 11-07-05, 03:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gian
I'm glad you said so, because I can't tolerate BMW-like rides. Now that I've read chiwai's experience with the IS 350, I'm totally sure the IS is my next car.

You have to be careful though. In a way, the new IS250//350 could very well "Feel" like a BMW type ride compared to your current Camry. Compared to an actual BMW with sports package aqnd 18" rims as Chiawai tested of course the IS will have a softer feeling ride and be more cushy, but the IS still could be a lot stiffer than what you think and like. Even if you don't get the sports package with 18" rims on the IS the standard 17'' rims and tire package still might offer more road feel and stiffness than you want. After reading your posts in Chiwai's topic it almost sounds like the ES330 would be better for you. It is all relative in comparison. For example, My SC400 feels harsh compared to my wifes RX330. On the other hand, the SC400 feels like a large boat compared to my old BMW. On the other hand, after driving the Acura NSX, my old BMW feels like it had over boosted power steering and felt like a Caddilac.
Old 11-07-05, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You have to be careful though. In a way, the new IS250//350 could very well "Feel" like a BMW type ride compared to your current Camry. Compared to an actual BMW with sports package aqnd 18" rims as Chiawai tested of course the IS will have a softer feeling ride and be more cushy, but the IS still could be a lot stiffer than what you think and like. Even if you don't get the sports package with 18" rims on the IS the standard 17'' rims and tire package still might offer more road feel and stiffness than you want. After reading your posts in Chiwai's topic it almost sounds like the ES330 would be better for you. It is all relative in comparison. For example, My SC400 feels harsh compared to my wifes RX330. On the other hand, the SC400 feels like a large boat compared to my old BMW. On the other hand, after driving the Acura NSX, my old BMW feels like it had over boosted power steering and felt like a Caddilac.
dude, you hit an mark here... When you drive completly new car from different brand, it will feel very much different than what you are driving right now. Driving an BMW or Audi for 2-3 years and going to Lexus will be an shock, but at the same time, driving ES330 and going to IS350 will be an shock as well.

I drive MRS and getting into european prius was an shock for me - I thought car was pretty harsh on the ride! I took me few weeks to get used to the hard feeling. When I get into my Corolla 2zz from time to time, my hands hurt since steering is so "heavy" while at the same time, BMW owner might think it is too light.

Only question is can you get used to it and people get used to the good things :-).
Old 11-07-05, 04:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with the previous 2 posts. you should really go test them for yourself.

if comfort is your #1 priority, and you like the feel of the Camry, the IS might not meet your expectations in the comfort dept. (but it will exceed your expectations in the sport/appeal dept )

for instance, out of our 3 lexusus, the RX is by far the most comfortable ride. sure the GS is smooth, but even stock it is very bumpy compared to the RX, and that's in normal mode, not sport. and don't get me started on the SC. when i get ES's for loaners, i can't believe how cushy they are, almost like the LS. (well maybe not quite that good, but you get the point)

go check it out, BMW 3, Lexus IS, ES, etc. the IS is indeed very luxurious compared to the 330, but it's going to be very different from ES or Camry. if you are deciding b/w IS and ES, you will have to determine what aspect is more important to you and go from there. (or if within your means, keep the Camry and get the IS as your fun car!)
Old 11-07-05, 06:49 PM
Gian
Rookie

Thanks so much for shedding some light, guys. I think I'll step out of my "comfort" zone for a bit, and I'll give the IS a shot (without the sport-tuned suspension, of course). I'm sure it can last until my mid-late twenties, and then I'll think about goin' to the ES - hell, maybe even the LS (considering the sleeker styling direction it's headin').

As for my Camry, it's a keeper. There is no way I'm selling it for $6000 because it's the most problem-free asset I own. I'd probably pass it down to my younger brother once he gets his driver's permit (he's turnin' 15 next June).

Thanks, again.

Last edited by Gian; 11-07-05 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Additional response.