IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Back from Tast of Lexus- IS350 huge dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 02:13 PM
Gian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4CYLNDR
Sure they can be "proven" with quantifiable evidence, but as a potential Lexus buyer looking to evaluate the merits of the ACTUAL CAR, it doesn't help much when people on these forums CITE all the Car Reviews that comment favorably on the Lexus and MAKE EXCUSES FOR or OTHERWISE REJECT Car Reviews that don't comment favorably on the Lexus. Not too objective if you ask me, but he who runs the forums makes the rules.
But, you're on an extreme end whereas being "rational" is nowhere near what you've displayed. You can deem the initial poster's impression of the car as valid, but to most others, it's simply an overstated mess of nitpicking.

Approaching the car's weaknesses (or lack thereof) argumentatively while dismissing everything else isn't exactly anyone's idea of proper evalution, either.
Old 11-07-05, 02:18 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
chiawei,

You just don't get it. The IS 350 doesn't meet you or your wife's needs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't meet the needs of others. You don't like the softer, loose steering but it doesn't mean that it's too loose for others, and in no way does it mean the car is unsafe as you claim. And somehow I doubt that every person who drove the 330i and IS 350 thought the 330i was more fun. You exagerate way too much.

Both the IS and 3 series are great cars that appeal differently to different people. If handling is your top concern, as in your case, then yes the 3 series should appeal more to you. But to others, straight line acceleration, interior comfort, reliability, exterior styling may weigh differently. What it comes down to for most people is which car is better suited for themselves.
Some people will pick the IS because it better meets their needs. While others would choose the 3 series, or the G35, or the TL. Debating which car is "better" is pointless in this case because what is better for you, may not be what is better for others.
1. Were you at the event on sunday? I guess not. It was observation that i made. Simple as that. Through out the test drive on the course, lexus rep has to stop the test every 5 to 10 minutes because there were people losing control in the IS. I was in line a total of 2 and half hours. Only once was the testing stopped because a 330i lost control and hit some cone. The lexus rep stood over the IS350 line and gave the tester a lecture every time when this happens. It was that bad.

2. Standing in line for 2.5 hours, i did not hear one conversation that praised IS350's steering and vehicle dynamics. There were plenty of praises for its interior, engine, and transmission. However, there were tons of positive response on the 330i. In fact, i heard a lot of test driver states that lexus really screwed up the event by picking a 330i with sports package to benchmark testing.

3. I am not the only one on this forum that went to the same event that stated the same issues. Rominl also state the exact problem i experienced.

4. The response was so bad on the IS350. That during the wait to test drive the IS. Lexus rep stopped testing the car for about 20 minutes so they can stage a run between IS and 330i. (BTW, the run was not conducted on the same course, it was pure straight run, one u-turn, and straight back to starting point).

I never claimed that my or my wife's preference means that everyone should think the same. I am simply stating what i saw, heard, and felt yesterday afternoon.
Old 11-07-05, 02:20 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Wow great thread (minus some name calling). I'm sad I didn't get in on the ground floor, shows me for not checking new posts for a day.

Just wanted to chime in and say for the most part I agree with the op's review. I took a lot of crap after I reg'd because I was all psyched to buy an IS350 when it was released but was left disappointed, and ended up getting my deposit back (and posted my negative impressions). While the IS's are really nice cars, I now know they are not for me. I expected, perhaps unwisely, that given the IS300's ride the IS250/350 would be more "sporty". I can't fault Lexus for making a car that will likely appeal to less "sport" oriented folks - although I do question their doing it under the IS moniker.

I do think the IS250 will sell well and know that it will be a great car for many buyers, but as it is heavy on the luxury and light on the sport, it isn't the car for me.
Old 11-07-05, 02:21 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the 3-series interior isn't too shabby, the the Audi's definately looks past its prime. The brand new S4s have interiors that look like they came from the mid 90s, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but one would expect a bit more from a car with that price tag.
The BMW's ergonomics are better, IMO, than the Audi, but the look of it is even worse (though not by much, they're both really dated looking to me, especially the crappy nav system on the BMW).

The S4's interior is 98% identical to the A4 albeit some minor differences such as two tone seats. The actual layout and materials used are just about as identical as can be though.

A4
http://www.audiusa.com/model_gallery...ystyle=a4sedan
http://www.audiusa.com/model_gallery...ystyle=a4sedan

BMW:
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/200...an/gallery.htm

The IS' interior looks so much more modern it should be embarassing for the others unless the germans really do intend to embrace the 'old world' flavor for interior styling?

Mercedes seems to have caught a few years ago for most of their models.
Old 11-07-05, 02:23 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by Gian
But, you're on an extreme end whereas being "rational" is nowhere near what you've displayed. You can deem the initial poster's impression of the car as valid, but to most others, it's simply an overstated mess of nitpicking.

Approaching the car's weaknesses (or lack thereof) argumentatively while dismissing everything else isn't exactly anyone's idea of proper evalution, either.
right but judging from the way people have reacted, its ONLY an "overstated mess of nitpicking" when its talking unfavorably about the Lexus. Otherwise, if we are to refer to the EXACT SAME DISCUSSIONS about OTHER CARS as the same "overstated nitpicking," then almost every thread on this forum does exactly that.

You'll notice how the two people calling members "Lexus fanboys" were disciplined, but the member that called anther member a BMW fanboy wasn't.
Old 11-07-05, 02:29 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Threxx
Anyhow the BMW with destination was just a hair over 50,000 dollars!
The IS350 was more like 45,000 including destination, and again, with many features unavailable on the BMW.
the problem for me is that this is not really the case.

As i have explained earlier. My wife's 330i fully loaded costed me $43k OTD with all the taxes. (thank you BMWNA for ED as well as BMWCCA rebate). (Premium pkg, auto, sports, PDC, navigation, comfort access...etc, can't remember what else is on it).

To get identical IS350, I am looking at MSRP of $44k+4k in taxes, tag, fees. For a total of $48k OTD.

On IS350 i have to pay maint. So that's another 2k to 3k to the bottom line. So my total cost on the IS350 is around $50k vs 330i's $43k.

Yes, there is cost involved for ED. But my wife and i probably is not going to spend $7k in saving by spending just 3 days in munich.

Financially speaking, IS does not make sense. For me and my wife, the IS350 isn't the car we want either. The event simply erased all her doubt about 330i. We were very happy that we went to the event yesterday. At least it made her decision looks like a great one.

For me, I can careless about which car she chooses. Its her car not mine.
Old 11-07-05, 02:32 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chiawei
1. Were you at the event on sunday? I guess not. It was observation that i made. Simple as that. Through out the test drive on the course, lexus rep has to stop the test every 5 to 10 minutes because there were people losing control in the IS. I was in line a total of 2 and half hours. Only once was the testing stopped because a 330i lost control and hit some cone. The lexus rep stood over the IS350 line and gave the tester a lecture every time when this happens. It was that bad.

2. Standing in line for 2.5 hours, i did not hear one conversation that praised IS350's steering and vehicle dynamics. There were plenty of praises for its interior, engine, and transmission. However, there were tons of positive response on the 330i. In fact, i heard a lot of test driver states that lexus really screwed up the event by picking a 330i with sports package to benchmark testing.

3. I am not the only one on this forum that went to the same event that stated the same issues. Rominl also state the exact problem i experienced.

4. The response was so bad on the IS350. That during the wait to test drive the IS. Lexus rep stopped testing the car for about 20 minutes so they can stage a run between IS and 330i. (BTW, the run was not conducted on the same course, it was pure straight run, one u-turn, and straight back to starting point).

I never claimed that my or my wife's preference means that everyone should think the same. I am simply stating what i saw, heard, and felt yesterday afternoon.
Stop making assumptions. Was I at the event? Yes I was. I was at the LA event not SF's on Sunday between 9:30 am - 12:30. I did not see any drivers wipe out the tall cones. I had 9 runs in on various vehicles including the 350, 330i, 250, GS, etc... Of course I wasn't always standing in line either. You have your experience, I have mine. But again, you are trying to argue which car is better without understanding that what is "BETTER" for you is not what is 'BETTER" for me, or any one else.

Understand this. I prefer the 330i's steering and handling, but the IS 350's straight line, interior design, exterior design, long term reliability appeal to me more. So which car is better for me? It's not the 330i. It's a simple issue of preference.
Old 11-07-05, 02:32 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by chiawei
the problem for me is that this is not really the case.

As i have explained earlier. My wife's 330i fully loaded costed me $43k OTD with all the taxes. (thank you BMWNA for ED as well as BMWCCA rebate). (Premium pkg, auto, sports, PDC, navigation, comfort access...etc, can't remember what else is on it).

To get identical IS350, I am looking at MSRP of $44k+4k in taxes, tag, fees. For a total of $48k OTD.

On IS350 i have to pay maint. So that's another 2k to 3k to the bottom line. So my total cost on the IS350 is around $50k vs 330i's $43k.

Yes, there is cost involved for ED. But my wife and i probably is not going to spend $7k in saving by spending just 3 days in munich.

Financially speaking, IS does not make sense. For me and my wife, the IS350 isn't the car we want either. The event simply erased all her doubt about 330i. We were very happy that we went to the event yesterday. At least it made her decision looks like a great one.

For me, I can careless about which car she chooses. Its her car not mine.
i was thinking about doing an ED on the new e90 M3 when it comes out. By then ill be outta law school and hopefully able to budget that car without disproportionately allocating $$ towards it. MAde that mistake with the EVO. lol.
Old 11-07-05, 02:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

You'll notice how the two people calling members "Lexus fanboys" were disciplined, but the member that called anther member a BMW fanboy wasn't.
You have no idea what moderation goes on in private vs public.

If you have other suggestions or comments about how the forum is run, I suggest you use the private message feature to me directly.
Old 11-07-05, 02:46 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Stop making assumptions. Was I at the event? Yes I was. I was at the LA event not SF's on Sunday between 9:30 am - 12:30. I did not see any drivers wipe out the tall cones. I had 9 runs in on various vehicles including the 350, 330i, 250, GS, etc... Of course I wasn't always standing in line either. You have your experience, I have mine. But again, you are trying to argue which car is better without understanding that what is "BETTER" for you is not what is 'BETTER" for me, or any one else.

Understand this. I prefer the 330i's steering and handling, but the IS 350's straight line, interior design, exterior design, long term reliability appeal to me more. So which car is better for me? It's not the 330i. It's a simple issue of preference.
Excuse me. Who is making assumption?

You were the one that accuse me of exaggerating. I was simply state what happened yesterday afternoon at alameda point between 11:00AM to 1:30 PM (give take a few minutes).

Who is arguing? I am simply state that IS350 drives horribly and people at alaemda yesterday were having a difficult time keeping the car under control. Simple as that.

I can careless what you think is important. Nor I care what you think of my preference. My comment were simply based on what happened yesterday at alameda point.
Old 11-07-05, 02:47 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You have no idea what moderation goes on in private vs public.
Then enlighten me.
Old 11-07-05, 02:51 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

i was thinking about doing an ED on the new e90 M3 when it comes out. By then ill be outta law school and hopefully able to budget that car without disproportionately allocating $$ towards it. MAde that mistake with the EVO. lol.
For M car you don't get any discount for ED. So it would be cheaper for you to simply buy it here and forget about ED process on M car.

In addition, new M cars in its 1st few year of release will be extremely difficult to find a dealer willing to do ED. M cars comes of of dealer's allocation. Hence dealer has no incentive to help you on ED for M cars. Plus BMWNA will not allow M car for ED until 12 month after introduction.

what's wrong with EVO? I have been thinking of getting an EVO or STI to mess with.
Old 11-07-05, 03:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If you have other suggestions or comments about how the forum is run, I suggest you use the private message feature to me directly.

Then enlighten me.
No, you are not a moderator and do not have any need to have that type of insight. See you in 24 hours.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Members,

We're not asking for anything extraordinary here. ClubLexus is a Lexus community and you need to recognize that during your stay here. This forum can be a helpful buying aid, but it IS biased towards Lexus..... its in the forum URL, at the top of the webpage and most of the members ARE Lexus owners and enthusiasts... shouldn't be a surprise . The PRIMARY use of this forum is for the enhancement of the Lexus owner's experience and growth in knowledge about their vehicles. Members with a constant bias against Lexus who are not constructive in their posts should look for another car forum with like-minded individuals who appreciate <insert your favorite auto maker here>.

You certainly don't have to agree with everyone and you don't have to 'drink the Lexus kool-aid', but you do have to be polite and follow the forum rules and the requests of the moderators (and administrators) enforcing them. Example here in this thread (x2) is mouthing off when a moderator specifically requested that off-topic replies come via PM so that the thread could get back on topic.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

This thread has taken too much time away from contributing to the forum for me and other moderators. Thank you to the original poster for your viewpoint and observations, I'm sorry the thread has gone downhill.