IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone Special Order their IS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 02:03 PM
mikekao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Special Order their IS?

Being as how Lexus decided to selectively allocate their IS's with certain options to different regions, I would imagine quite a few have special ordered (or at least tried). Being in the Northeast region where they do not have any luxury packages OR mark levinson options, I decided to go the Special Order route myself. About 3 weeks ago, I went to my local dealership, and put down a $500 deposit for on an order for a Blue Onyx/Grey IS250 AWD with luxury package, & NAV+ML. My salesman, told me it should take 2 months, but he didn't sound like he totally knew what he was talking about. I've periodically called about 3 times since, and I keep getting different answers, ranging from the same 2 month figure up to 4-5 months depending on who I talk to. Some even say they have no idea. My salesman had told me he should get a production date early this month, as that's when Lexus is starting another production run, however, I just called and he still has no information. He says that Lexus has the order, however is not producing it yet, as they still are not making any Luxury Package or ML equipped IS's.

Now I've heard of stories of people being told by their dealship that they cannot special order at all. I'm wondering if my dealership has any idea what they can or can't do with special orders on the IS, because whenever I talk to them, they have no idea what's going on. Right now I'm SO close to canceling this order and getting a BMW. Why Lexus decided to strip options availability I have no clue... why they made the special order process so complicated I don't know... but I definitely do not want to wait around and deal with this headache!
Old 11-08-05, 03:01 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

If a dealer is telling you that they can't special order at all then they are either
(a) only wanting to sell things in their allocations or
(b) idiots

If they say they can't special order then go elsewhere and please call Lexus Customer Experience to tell them that the dealer you spoke to didn't know what they were talking about. Production runs do generally go one month at a time with (from what I understand) special orders being built first and then production vehicles. I know in special ordering mine as a Toyota associate we are informed that if the order is in by the 15th figure 3 months for vehicles built in Japan, 4 months for vehicles built in North America.

I know certain options can push a vehicle back but that's if it's a completely new option like a new color etc. (know someone who has had their Scion pushed back an extra month due to color selection). But since I'm pretty sure I've seen every Package/option combination (just not in all areas) that any special order should go through in about the same amount of time.

I know one person in the office that special ordered his in August is getting his IS350 Luxury/ML this Thursday, so I'd say if you're not picky, buy one off the lot, if you want specific options, just special order through a dealer who knows what they're talking about.
Old 11-08-05, 03:14 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by mikekao
My salesman had told me he should get a production date early this month, as that's when Lexus is starting another production run, however, I just called and he still has no information. He says that Lexus has the order, however is not producing it yet, as they still are not making any Luxury Package or ML equipped IS's.
If this is a direct quote from your salesperson, it sounds to me like he "preferenced" the order.
Which means, he placed it in the regular ordering rotation and you will be waiting a very long time for that car without any confirmed arrival date. They put it in with the other approximately 100 regular orders in the computer system.

Special orders take 90-120 days guarranteed from order date and they are sent by FAX or EMAIL individually.

The dealer needs to place a seperate "special" order for your car. Most dealers do not want to do this because it's a lot of work, they want immediate close on the sale, there's no guarrantee you will end up buying the car, there's high turnover in employment so who knows if he will even still be working there, etc etc...
Special orders do not appear on the regular production run. If they are unsure how to special order, all they need to do is contact their dealer representative at Lexus factory and ask him/her how to do it.

You should definately ask your salesperson or even better the sales manager or general sales manager more specific questions regarding the progress of your ordered car.

Good luck.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 11-08-05 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 03:33 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

My dealer told me that if I special order a car from them, then it would take 3-4 months, but it would reduce their allocation by 1 car for each month until it comes in.

For example, if they typically receive 20 cars per month, and I place my order now, then they'll only get 19 each of the next 3 or 4 months. In effect, they would me "missing out" on the opportunity to sell 2-3 more cars.
Old 11-08-05, 05:24 PM
mikekao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Production runs do generally go one month at a time with (from what I understand) special orders being built first and then production vehicles.
My salesman told me that mine would likely be built AFTER the current regular production run. Is this not normal? Before I placed the order, I told my salesman that I needed a car soon. He told me it should take 2 months, but after I placed the order a couple other salesmen I spoke to on the phone said it should be more like 4 months.

Honestly I'm not sure if they did place the order properly, but I'm about to give them an ultimatum, b/c I really can't wait that long. If they can't give me a clear-cut date (at least an estimate) within a week, than I'm just going to cancel the order.
Old 11-08-05, 06:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

My dealer said the sky would fall if I ordered one.
Old 11-08-05, 06:25 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikekao:
My experience ordering a IS 350 has been straight forward. My wife and
I freaked out cause we didn't hear anything for two weeks, but our order confirmation sheet from the factory showed up at our house in the mail, like they said it would, along with the description of the car the dealer gave up for ours. It had all our options and correct color, we asked for, except the spoiler, which is supposed to be applied at port in Jacksonville Florida when it gets off the boat. Cool so far. It has been proceeding along like Toyota F1 said. My dealer down in Winston-Salem said special orders go to the front of the line on a production run. They said they would have a order number soon and will tell us the vin number when created. We're on schedule for late Feb/ early March delivery. Praying for Spring to come early . These guys here on the forum, they will advise you well . Yea, look around and get
someone that WANTS to sell you a Great Car! I used to have a quick Eclipse, an
ole possessed Passat and was considering a new Mercedes C350. Glad I waited and
drove IS350. I think I chose the better automobile, you did too.
Old 11-08-05, 07:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Mikekao:
My experience ordering a IS 350 has been straight forward. My wife and
I freaked out cause we didn't hear anything for two weeks, but our order confirmation sheet from the factory showed up at our house in the mail, like they said it would, along with the description of the car the dealer gave up for ours. It had all our options and correct color, we asked for, except the spoiler, which is supposed to be applied at port in Jacksonville Florida when it gets off the boat. Cool so far. It has been proceeding along like Toyota F1 said. My dealer down in Winston-Salem said special orders go to the front of the line on a production run. They said they would have a order number soon and will tell us the vin number when created. We're on schedule for late Feb/ early March delivery. Praying for Spring to come early . These guys here on the forum, they will advise you well . Yea, look around and get
someone that WANTS to sell you a Great Car! I used to have a quick Eclipse, an
ole possessed Passat and was considering a new Mercedes C350. Glad I waited and
drove IS350. I think I chose the better automobile, you did too.
Where does the order confirmation sheet come from? your Dealer, Lexus USA, Lexus factory in Japan?
Old 11-08-05, 07:46 PM
IS 350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikekao
My salesman told me that mine would likely be built AFTER the current regular production run. Is this not normal? Before I placed the order, I told my salesman that I needed a car soon. He told me it should take 2 months, but after I placed the order a couple other salesmen I spoke to on the phone said it should be more like 4 months.

Honestly I'm not sure if they did place the order properly, but I'm about to give them an ultimatum, b/c I really can't wait that long. If they can't give me a clear-cut date (at least an estimate) within a week, than I'm just going to cancel the order.
I work for toyota manufactoring, if today i am building this specific vehical, that mean, dealer had ordered it about 2-3 months ago, this is how toyota build their car, and for a new model lauch, there are a lot of problems during the car build (machine problem or human error) and the efficiency is a lot lower than regular production, so 3-4 months of wait is very reasonable if you are ordering a specific model that they do not have

if the dealer have the car sooner than what they told u, i will guess they might ordered one car exactly match what u want and buyer backed out, or they traded one from other dealer coz they know u will buy it for sure

that's just my guess

Last edited by IS 350; 11-08-05 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS 350

that's just my guesses
hehe, guess.
Old 11-08-05, 08:10 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Hey TimboIs:
It was from the dealer, he mailed it to me. It just said order confirmation and
accepted. Listed the car they gave up for ours. This allocation thing seems to
be quite strict. No dates as to when it would be built. Looked like a just a
simple computer print out. Hell, They could have made it up and fooled us. We
were happy just to be in the system though.
Old 11-08-05, 08:22 PM
artie00
Rookie

I'm not too familiar with the special ordering process. And it looks like I won't get any straight answers if I go to a dealership. So why not ask the experts here on CL? I was wondering if I special order a car, would I be essentially be paying MSRP for the car when it comes or would there be room for negotiation?
Old 11-08-05, 08:49 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Hey TimboIs:
It was from the dealer, he mailed it to me. It just said order confirmation and
accepted. Listed the car they gave up for ours. This allocation thing seems to
be quite strict. No dates as to when it would be built. Looked like a just a
simple computer print out. Hell, They could have made it up and fooled us. We
were happy just to be in the system though.
Thanks for the info. I wish Lexus corp would be a little more involved here. This whole ordering process really is poor.
Old 11-08-05, 09:35 PM
IS 350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
hehe, guess.
well, that's how really toyota build their car, they don't randomly make the car, they only make it when someone order it
Old 11-09-05, 06:15 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

I was wondering if I special order a car, would I be essentially be paying MSRP for the car when it comes or would there be room for negotiation?
You should plan on paying MSRP for a special order.

Quick Reply: Anyone Special Order their IS?