IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NE 1 here have Bluetooth with Sprint cellphone service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 08:32 PM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NE 1 here have Bluetooth with Sprint cellphone service?

NE 1 here have Bluetooth with Sprint cellular phone service? I have to pick up a new cell phone tomorrow at Sprint and I would like to get one that I know will work with my new 250AWD.

I tried the lexustalk website (or something like that) but there wasn't a single mention of Spint. If you do have BLuetooth with Sprint as your cellphone carrier, what phone are you using?

I know that I can (and may have to) change cellphone companies, but I would rather not if I don't have to.

So, if you have Spint and it works with BlueTooth, what cell phone are you using?
Old 11-09-05, 09:59 PM
the lndr
Driver

Default phone

try any motorola bluetooth phone at the store. they should not have a problem with that
Old 11-09-05, 10:28 PM
Runt888
Driver School Candidate

Right now Sprint only has a few Bluetooth phones (three, last time I checked), and only one of them is decent (and it's a PDA phone, so it's expensive). If you wait for a couple months, several more are coming out for Sprint. I'm waiting for the Samsung A900. It is similar to the Motorola Razr's form factor, and supposedly fully supports Bluetooth (although Sprint might partially disable it like so many other carriers do). It's supposed to be out sometime in December.
Old 11-09-05, 10:48 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're going to get a Sprint bluetooth phone, get the LG VM-325. It's got bluetooth and should work ok with your vehicle.

The PDA phone that Runt888 mentioned is the Treo 650. A lot of people have trouble getting the Treo 650 to connect to automotive handsfree systems, especially Lexus.
Old 11-10-05, 04:56 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try any of the Sprint BT phones:

Treo 650
LG 325
PPC 6700
PPC 6600 and PPC 6601
Samsung A940

Sprint will not disable any of the BT features that are commonly found on these BT phones. Only one carrier has ever done that before and it ended up amidst a lawsuit. I can promise you Sprint will not disable BT features on future devices and as someone said above, you should wait a few and a couple more BT phones will be added to the list.

Note: You should know that the Lexus BT compatibility process is a rigorous process that requires a lot to become listed on their website. Simply having the applicable BT profiles in your phone does not automatically get you listed. Unless Lexus and the carrier specifically tests the phone for compatibility, it will not get listed. Doesn't mean it won't work, just hasn't been tested.
Old 11-10-05, 07:08 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Default only GSM phones on lexus.letstalk.com ??

It looks like the only phones listed on this site are from T-Mobile and Cingular, the two major GSM carriers. Nothing from Verizon, Sprint, etc. What is this website? It almost looks like a sales website to try to get you to buy these phones...
Old 11-10-05, 09:23 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Verizon's phones won't work. They disable some of the bluetooth capabilities on the phones. They'll connect to the handsfree in the car, but you aren't able to transfer the phonebooks.

Sprint just doesn't have enough bluetooth capable phones out at the moment. Wait a few months and they'll come out with quite a bit more. We can blame Sprint's phone selection on the Nextel/Sprint merger. Give it a few, they'll come.
Old 11-10-05, 10:11 AM
Dr C
Driver

It works! I just purchased the PM 325 from Sprint and it works with bluetooth.

Not only that, since I have Voice Command from Sprint (@ $5.00 per mont), I just get into Voice Command and say who I want to call and Voice Command dials it. I have 155 numbers in Voice Command and they are still in the system so I did not have to add anything. Just registered the new phone, pressed "*" "Talk," heard the wierd BONG sound, and voice dialed by saying my wife's name at home. In the Voice Command, I have multiple numbers for many of the entries, "home," "office," "cell," and Voice command has all of them. No restrictions on sitting, moving, whatever. And, if I do decide to take my phone out of the car, I retain the voice dialing capability.

Yes! It works!

p.s. I did get the right angle adapter from RadioShack that someone on this forum recommended so my pnone is charging while it is in the console and the console closes because I'm using the right angle adapter.
Old 11-10-05, 03:04 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

You have to pay $5/mo for that? That feature is built into my phone

Oh well, glad to hear that it works
Old 11-10-05, 04:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Sprint just doesn't have enough bluetooth capable phones out at the moment. Wait a few months and they'll come out with quite a bit more. We can blame Sprint's phone selection on the Nextel/Sprint merger.
I just provided a list of BT phones in a previous post. It's on par with most other carriers, maybe a bit less. Before this year is over, you'll see 2 more...that's it. Sprint's phone selection has zero to do with the merger. This is coming from me...someone who works at Sprint. What do you think I live in Kansas for?
Old 11-10-05, 04:49 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
You have to pay $5/mo for that? That feature is built into my phone
He only mentioned part of what you get for $5. There's more.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...csVoiceCommand

It's actually very cool and offers something that a traditional phone doesn't have like online management of your phonebook and it works from any phone that you swap to on Sprint...forever.
Old 11-10-05, 07:10 PM
Dr C
Driver

Kensteele is right -- Voice Command is a great system (and I don't work at Sprint). I enter numbers as I want them using any computer that accesses the internet. Within 2-3 minutes, they are available through Voice Command. Up to 5 numbers for each of up to 500 names and you never have to enter them again or transfer them because they are stored centrally by Sprint.

But the feature that I cannot do without is Voice dailing while driving. NO need to take my eyes off the road or my hands off of the wheel. If I want to call a number that's not in Voice Command, then I just say the numbers that I want to dial.

I think this is the only safe way to use a cell phone in the car.
Old 11-11-05, 01:19 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Dr C, you may have wanted to wait a few weeks for a couple of really nice bluetooth handsets that are being released for Sprint.

One is the Samsung MM-A900 which is basically the Samsung version of the Motorola RAZR except it has an MP3 player. Here's a pic and a couple of links to some info.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000550067590/
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000577067193/

The other is the Samsung MM-A920. It's basically the same as the A900 except it's not as thin.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000773067597/

And for future reference, you may want to check out the following Sprint forums.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/
http://pcsintel.com/modules.php?name...=viewforum&f=7
Old 11-11-05, 01:39 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Those cellphone forums are a complete rumor mill.
Old 11-11-05, 03:41 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
Those cellphone forums are a complete rumor mill.
Some of the stuff is rumors but most of the stuff is valuable information about the service providers, phones, rate plans, etc. You learn stuff that you'll never learn from the cell phone company web sites and the phone manufacturer web sites. I've learned a lot from the forums on howardforums.

Quick Reply: NE 1 here have Bluetooth with Sprint cellphone service?