Anyone with IS250 Impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 07:26 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with IS250 Impressions?

Hi Everyone,
I have been on this site everyday because I'm addicted to the IS...I think I need help! j/k
Anyway, I went to the TOL Event last month and drove the 250 AWD and 350. I don't think I had enough time to gauge how the 250 felt because I was just in awe to be in the new IS as it was.

My question is for the 250 owners out there, is it really that "slow"? I mean, when I drove the AWD, getting off the line didn't feel as slow as all of the mags and other people are saying. I currently have a 03 Accord V6 coupe auto, compared to that car it doesn have that punch off the line, but I didn't feel like it was underpowered. I'm really trying to gauge this because the '06 TSX is catching my eye again because I can get it with Nav for under 30. If I get the IS, it's either the 250 with Nav/Lux or 350 w/just lux.

In looking at lease numbers, the 250 and TSX are approx. $60 apart, but money is money! Sorry for the long post, just trying to get opinions!

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 11-10-05, 09:43 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

Bueller?..........
Old 11-10-05, 11:15 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yes I am also having a hard time debating whether to get the IS250 or the 2006 Acura TSX.

The price tag on the TSX is really good. Bluetooth, heated seats, HID, AUX, etc cant beat a 27k price tag.

But on the other hand the new IS is soooo sexy.
Old 11-10-05, 11:31 PM
Kailua250
Driver

I have had my 250 for three days now and I love it! If you are talking about power, this car definitely has it. When I was test driving the cars last week I made sure I drove the 250 first so I wouldn't be skewed by the power of the 350. I am currently in my break in period so I haven't punched it in my own. But, when I was test driving, I let her loose. I loved the acceleration off the line and the feeling of the push through nearly all engine speeds. Of course when compared to the 350, the 250 is "weak". 102 hp is a huge difference. I made my decision by asking myself, "How much power do I need? How much power can I realistically use?"
Right now I am dying to get through my break in period. I can tell she wants to go so badly but I have to keep her controlled.
As far as the TSX there are two things working against it. First and foremost, it is FWD. The rear wheels are supposed to push, front wheels are for steering. Thats the only way to go. Even if you are considering the AWD IS, normal driving delivers a majority of the torque to the rear wheels. Secondly, compare torque. TSX=164, IS250= 185. People don't give torque the credit it deserves. If you are talking about acceleration and power, this figure can't be left out.
To wrap it up, 204hp in the IS is awesome. Go down to your dealership and test drive it.
Old 11-10-05, 11:37 PM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Originally Posted by plgtx
Hi Everyone,
I have been on this site everyday because I'm addicted to the IS...I think I need help! j/k
Anyway, I went to the TOL Event last month and drove the 250 AWD and 350. I don't think I had enough time to gauge how the 250 felt because I was just in awe to be in the new IS as it was.

My question is for the 250 owners out there, is it really that "slow"? I mean, when I drove the AWD, getting off the line didn't feel as slow as all of the mags and other people are saying. I currently have a 03 Accord V6 coupe auto, compared to that car it doesn have that punch off the line, but I didn't feel like it was underpowered. I'm really trying to gauge this because the '06 TSX is catching my eye again because I can get it with Nav for under 30. If I get the IS, it's either the 250 with Nav/Lux or 350 w/just lux.

In looking at lease numbers, the 250 and TSX are approx. $60 apart, but money is money! Sorry for the long post, just trying to get opinions!

Thanks!
Patrick
Hi Patrick

this has been discussed many times, I mean, 250 vs 350.
I'm not aware of any mags that mark the 250 as "slow". It's pretty similar to the 1Gen IS300 in terms of power and performance. However, the 350 is muuuuch faster.

Your personal preference will lead to a decision. If you choose power over options (Nav etc) then the 350 is the way to go. If you prefer Luxury over power, then it's the 250.

I'm with Lexus because of the Lux and not power so therefore I would choose a fully loaded 250 with navigation over a 350 w/out nav. Just my 0.02 ...

Last edited by swisslexusclub; 11-11-05 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-11-05, 01:09 AM
jeffyee123
Rookie

Totally agree with swiss, but I ended up going the other way...my thinking was I could always add an aftermarket nav system with better technology for a cheaper price. It wouldn't look as slick, but i could get what I wanted... Also I had an accord and that car seemed to be able to beat almost any car off the line. The 250 was slower off the line than my accord, so i couldn't justify spending more money for a car that was slower. Also, if you want a non-nav car it's easier to make a deal!

But either way you go is great...just personal preference...luxury or speed...it's all you gotta ask yourself
Old 11-11-05, 04:07 AM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the answers! Since it would be a big upgrade for me from Honda to Lexus, the speed wouldn't worry me that much. Just want to make sure I can move at a reasonable pace! I am worried about that with the TSX (I would have to have an auto). I'm just soooo addicted to V6's now! Once they start discounting, it will probably make my choice easier.

Kailua250, I was just in Honolulu on vacation in September....JUST BEAUTIFUL. The Pali was wonderful as well! If I lived there, I would definitely get the 250. The 350 would be too fast for me on that island...I would get way too many tickets!

Thanks all!
Patrick
Old 11-11-05, 08:11 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by plgtx
Thanks for all of the answers! Since it would be a big upgrade for me from Honda to Lexus, the speed wouldn't worry me that much. Just want to make sure I can move at a reasonable pace! I am worried about that with the TSX (I would have to have an auto). I'm just soooo addicted to V6's now! Once they start discounting, it will probably make my choice easier.

Kailua250, I was just in Honolulu on vacation in September....JUST BEAUTIFUL. The Pali was wonderful as well! If I lived there, I would definitely get the 250. The 350 would be too fast for me on that island...I would get way too many tickets!

Thanks all!
Patrick

Why are you worried about the TSX in power?

The TSX has a 205hp I-4 and the IS has a 204 2.5 V6.
Yes the V6 has more torque. Kind of a shame lexus can only push out 204 hp and Acura can push out 205 with a 4 cylinder!

I'm sure they will have almost identical power. I want to know what what more of their 0-60 times are. I wouldnt be surprised if acura's times are better.

So I dont know why you would pick the IS over the TSX in terms of power because they are almost identical.

Both are great cars if money wasnt a factor then no doubt I would pick the IS250. But since money IS a factory you cant beat the TSX for the money.

I'm having thd same dilemma as you

Last edited by gsrthomas; 11-11-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-11-05, 08:27 AM
Runt888
Driver School Candidate

I'm also trying to decide between the IS250 AWD and the' 06 TSX. I've driven the '05 TSX, and the IS250 is definately faster off the line (and the non-AWD probably faster). However, the TSX is a rev hungry car. Once the VTEC kicks in, I would guess the TSX is a match for the IS. And the '06 TSX got a HP boost over the '05.

In terms of luxury and refinement, the IS wins hands down. Reliability seems to be a toss up, but I've heard that people generally have a much better experience with Lexus dealerships than Acura dealerships when it comes to maintainence.

As for which car is the better value, that depends on what you consider important. If it's the number of features you get for the price, then the TSX is definately a better value. I'm more concerned about the total package, so I'm leaning towards the IS (and since I drive in the mountains a lot, the AWD is a big factor for me).

When it comes time for me to decide between cars, I break it down into three lists:
1. All of the things I can't live without.
2. Things I want but am not willing to pay more than a certain amount for.
3. Things I couldn't care less about.

Then I see which car matches my list the best.
Old 11-11-05, 11:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

simply put, IS250 is luxury car, while TSX is not... You might or might not need luxury car though, but thats for you to choose.
Old 11-11-05, 11:39 AM
Kailua250
Driver

Let us all not forget the other issue (although unstated thus far and I believe underlying everything): the IS is a brand new "I-gotta-have-it" design. Hands down, the IS styling is hotter and more agressive than any in its class! This is definitely a factor for most.
Old 11-11-05, 12:23 PM
xizor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
simply put, IS250 is luxury car, while TSX is not... You might or might not need luxury car though, but thats for you to choose.
If you your criteria for luxury car is price, then what you said is true. If its features, then the TSX is just as well equipped as comparable luxury cars.
Old 11-11-05, 12:32 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

One of the biggest things for me is how the TSX looks on the inside compared to my Accord. They share a lot of parts. Steering wheel, headliner/map lights, sunroof button. It would just feel like I leased my car all over again, but with a big A instead of H staring at me while driving. No doubt it would handle better than my Accord, but I'm not that impressed with the current build quality Honda/Acura has. I've hade worn rotors at less than 10k miles, bad welds (haven't fixed), bad rotors again, mis-aligned panels, RATTLES GALORE, etc. The TSX has had the same complaints, and I just don't want to go through that again.

So now, I think I've made my choice! Oh, and I was thinking about the TL too (trying to keep it in the Honda Family!) And it really felt and sounded like a $35k Accord w/better suspension....don't beat me up, that's just how I felt.... So, hopefully I'll join my brother and his wife in the Lexus Family!

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 11-11-05, 12:46 PM
Lexus_Luvr
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is no Acura

I am still driving my first Lexus I bought in 1992. It is still an awesome car. Every detail was thought about. When I tell people I have a Lexus, their eyes light up. When I am at the gas pump, people come over and ask me about my "new" Lexus. It has nearly 200K on the odometer and still purrs like cat. What a great value. I looked at new cars for at least eight years. I have driven everything, including Mazdas, Acuras, Hondas, Infinitis. When they came out with the new IS, I bought one on the first day. It is a 250AWD because I live in the snow belt. I was foaming at the mouth for a 350 but it really is too fast. The 250 is just right. No one is going to ask you about your Acura, but you will just love your IS or any other Lexus, for that matter. Go for it, fully loaded.
Old 11-11-05, 05:20 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

I did some research on the TSX too, but I ended up leaning towards the IS because of the 6-speed auto and paddle shifters. The TSX's trans has only 5 gears.. and no paddle shifters. I guess that's one of the reasons why the TSX (4 cylinders) is using more gasoline than the IS (V6) on the highway.

Quick Reply: Anyone with IS250 Impressions?