IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 11:30 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IS Thoughts

Just got back from the dealership...had my first personal experience of the new IS. First, I didn't drive the car. They only had IS250's available, I didn't want to drive one without the other for comparison.
The good:
What a sharp looking car. I was very impressed with the look. The grill isn't that sporty and detracts from an otherwise sporty front facia but it looks hot up front. The shape of the headlights is the best of any new Lexus design imo. It's sleek...almost as sleek as a coupe. It looks like it could be moving even when it's sitting still...which is a sporty car characteristic. People have commented they didn't like the rear. I loved it. Looks different from any other car I've seen. Something I didn't expect. The fenders flare out some giving it that beefy, muscular look. Loved it. Interior mateials were improved in quality over the previous model but I sort of liked that busy looking gauge cluster of the old one. This is nice though, nothing to really complain about there.

The bad:
This car is too small to get many more buyers than the previous model. I hit my head on the door sill 3 times. The seat has to lean back pretty far for me to feel comfortable which causes my vision to be blocked by the b-pillar. There's enough leg room but just barely. From the outside it looks small. It's 4 incher longer than the previous model but doesn't really look it. Clearly, this car isn't for someone of my size. The sales people stopped trying to convince me after seeing my head and neck have to crane sideways to get in the thing.

The G35 is only 2 inches longer but I am very comfortable in it. I didn't think there would be this much of a difference...but it is. I guess this means there's no IS in my future...unless they make the coupe when I'm ready to buy. I actually wish it were a better fit, it seems like a great car...and I didn't even drive it yet.
Old 11-12-05, 12:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, over 40 views and no replies. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. In no way was I trying to put down the IS. In fact I like it. It's just too small...or I'm too big.
Old 11-12-05, 12:53 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm feeling you on the size thing. When I drove it at the TOL event, I looked up and BAM, there was the roof! I'm 5'7 and it started feeling a little cramped to me. I had a 2001 Jetta, which was about the same size but had better headroom. Now I don't know if I want to pay that much and feel cramped, no matter how good the driving experience is. I'm torn between the TSX and IS.....but I am so in love with the IS.
Old 11-12-05, 01:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

The IS250/350 is not a big car, but I'm 5'11", 190 lb., & I don't feel cramped inside but still have room to spare both head & legs in fact. The back seats can be a problem though if you have a family, unless they are pre-teens, they won't be too comfortable there . . .
Old 11-12-05, 01:20 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

How tall are you? I'm 5-9, and cars often seemed to be designed for people about my height. Taller people might fit, but they often have to drive with their knees and elbows high and wide. In fact, my tall friends seem unaware that there's any other way to sit in a car.

As for the styling, I think the new IS resembles the Saab 9-3 quite a bit from the side, just better.
Old 11-12-05, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The IS250/350 is not a big car, but I'm 5'11", 190 lb., & I don't feel cramped inside but still have room to spare both head & legs in fact. The back seats can be a problem though if you have a family, unless they are pre-teens, they won't be too comfortable there . . .
some people might be tilting the seat, and not lowering it. I think someone posted something about it before. If I was an sales guy, I would make sure customers know to press the middle of the lowering handle for lowering seat (up or down actually tilt the seat, not lower it).
Old 11-12-05, 04:24 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Reggie, what size are you? You didn't mention your height. Did you get in the backseat too?

Are you still gonna go back and test each one?

Also we both have SC's is it that much harder to get into& out of the new IS than the SC coupe?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 11-12-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 04:44 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 5' 10" and I had no problems at all sitting in the IS with plenty of room left.
Old 11-12-05, 05:03 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm 6'1 and I thought the IS250 was perfect for me. I dont care how small the back seat is. If people complain about it who sit back there they can drive themselves.
Old 11-12-05, 05:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

I am 5'10" and with proper seat adjustment, the interior size was perfect. I doubt even a person over 6 foot will have problems unless he/she weighs a lot.I hate overly large interiors on a performance sedan. If a sedan is built with luxury and performance aspirations, it should give the feeling of compactness to feel nimble and agile around corners when you toss it around on winding roads aggressively. For more interior room, Lexus has the GS300 to serve the purpose at the cost of sportiness.
Old 11-13-05, 06:57 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Reggie, what size are you? You didn't mention your height. Did you get in the backseat too?

Are you still gonna go back and test each one?

Also we both have SC's is it that much harder to get into& out of the new IS than the SC coupe?
I'm 6-2 and 270 lbs. That's not super tall but I have long legs, long as someone who is 6-4, my torso is shorter. So I need lots of leg room. Being 270 means I need supportive seats but they need a little width to accomodate my wide butt. I love being a big man but there are drawbacks. Airplane seats being one. Small sedans being another. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm a coupe man. They have larger entry openings because of the longer door. They usually have more leg room because the seat goes back further. There are exceptions but this is the norm.

No use testing the car further. Not interested in buying one. I love the look but only a coupe version would come close to working for me.

Besides, I got back home and there was my modded SC sitting there. Looking better than most cars on the road today. AND, I fit perfectly in it.
Old 11-13-05, 07:38 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I am 5'10" and with proper seat adjustment, the interior size was perfect. I doubt even a person over 6 foot will have problems unless he/she weighs a lot.I hate overly large interiors on a performance sedan. If a sedan is built with luxury and performance aspirations, it should give the feeling of compactness to feel nimble and agile around corners when you toss it around on winding roads aggressively. For more interior room, Lexus has the GS300 to serve the purpose at the cost of sportiness.
Although GS has larger interior dimensions than the IS, it doesn't feel significantly roomier (with perhaps the exception of rear leg room). Interestingly, IS has a larger trunk than GS.
Old 11-13-05, 10:44 AM
skynite
Rookie

Originally Posted by reggiek
The G35 is only 2 inches longer but I am very comfortable in it. I didn't think there would be this much of a difference...but it is. I guess this means there's no IS in my future...unless they make the coupe when I'm ready to buy. I actually wish it were a better fit, it seems like a great car...and I didn't even drive it yet.

Funny you mentioned the G35.... My G35 coupe, future trade-in for IS, has more leg room in the back then the IS. I'm talking about my G35coupe, COUPE!!, my coupe has more space then a 4-door sedan. I was shocked at the lack of space the IS actually had.

Hey reggiek.... what are your dimensions? BTW, I am not picking you up, happily married just want to compare....
I am 6'3" and about 300lbs (yes I can stand to loose a few lbs.), my coupe fits me perfect; my wife sometimes sits behind me with the baby in the back, no problem.

The IS, has plenty of room for me in the front, I finally found a car that I don't have to move the seat all the way back. I found myself moving up a little, because it felt weird having my arms stretched out all the way. Having said that, I don't think my wife could sit behind me comfortably. The seat doesn’t have room underneath to slide your feet. My only hope of getting the IS350, which I love, is to try to put the child seat behind me with the wife behind the passenger. I haven't tried this yet.

I am willing to sacrifice a little space to get this car. I like the looks, and the technology and gadgets inside it. I don't like bigger, heavier cars, so don't try to talk me into a GS. The IS is the car for me.... If only the back legroom was a little bigger.

I tried a TL, nice, but does not have the cool gadgets the IS has. The GS is a little pricey if you want it with performance. I don't car for the BMW, not enough power...

I don't know what to do.....
Old 11-13-05, 04:51 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Default Just buy a 330i or G35 sedan . .

Originally Posted by skynite
Funny you mentioned the G35.... My G35 coupe, future trade-in for IS, has more leg room in the back then the IS. I'm talking about my G35coupe, COUPE!!, my coupe has more space then a 4-door sedan. I was shocked at the lack of space the IS actually had.

Hey reggiek.... what are your dimensions? BTW, I am not picking you up, happily married just want to compare....
I am 6'3" and about 300lbs (yes I can stand to loose a few lbs.), my coupe fits me perfect; my wife sometimes sits behind me with the baby in the back, no problem.

The IS, has plenty of room for me in the front, I finally found a car that I don't have to move the seat all the way back. I found myself moving up a little, because it felt weird having my arms stretched out all the way. Having said that, I don't think my wife could sit behind me comfortably. The seat doesn’t have room underneath to slide your feet. My only hope of getting the IS350, which I love, is to try to put the child seat behind me with the wife behind the passenger. I haven't tried this yet.

I am willing to sacrifice a little space to get this car. I like the looks, and the technology and gadgets inside it. I don't like bigger, heavier cars, so don't try to talk me into a GS. The IS is the car for me.... If only the back legroom was a little bigger.

I tried a TL, nice, but does not have the cool gadgets the IS has. The GS is a little pricey if you want it with performance. I don't car for the BMW, not enough power...

I don't know what to do.....
I did my second test drive of the 350 again on Friday. Even the desk girl they sent on the test drive with me commented that my head was hitting the ceiling while driving (and yes, I did have the seat all the way down). Then I cracked my head while getting out of the car to go sit in the back seat (which is still too small-though a little better than the old IS, and you can't get your feet under the seats). As much as I wanted a 350 (damn the car is fast), it is officially out for me now.

Both the G35 and 330i have noticeably more head room for us tall guys (6 feet plus) plus you can definitely get people or car seats in the back seat.
Old 11-13-05, 07:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by skynite
Funny you mentioned the G35.... My G35 coupe, future trade-in for IS, has more leg room in the back then the IS. I'm talking about my G35coupe, COUPE!!, my coupe has more space then a 4-door sedan.
The G35 coupe has a long wheel base, I'm 5'11" & there's ample leg room for me back there, but the problem is the head room with the sloping roof line, my head has to be bent & pressed against the rear windshield, the back seats are not really designed for anyone over 5'5" max. to be comfortable . . . . .

Quick Reply: IS Thoughts