IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$6grand discount on 350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 05:12 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How it could be true

It is possible (although unlikely). First off any dealer starting to drop prices on IS's this early in the game is an idiot. If you have to drop the price to sell it in the 1st 6 months of it's release you are in the wrong business, OR you don't care about gross profits and you just want to push volume so you can say you are the "highest volume dealer" big deal...just means you ho' out the cars and you don't care about the company or other dealers around you...yeah they are your competition but Lexus builds in GP so that the dealers can make money too. In NY/NJ/CT for example, the dealers with the lower overhead are usually the 1st to cut prices...why? they can afford to.

The other way and this is a bit shady, but many dealers sell to leasing companies, and they get "volume discounts", and maybe this guy worked for or was related to someone at one of these leasing companies. But even as an employee - at my wife's dealership, no employess are allowed to get cars that are "new releases" until all customer orders/waitlists are filled first.
Old 11-13-05, 06:31 PM
jeffyee123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 350, premium with 18" wheels for $37,700 out the door (taxes, licensing, etc...) Glendale Lexus... if you buy one from them, say I sent you so I can get an ipod Nano! I bought 2 weeks before their promotion began, but they said if i sent someone their way I could get one =)
Old 11-13-05, 07:46 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

I am not buying a demonstrator no matter if it's $3k off. I drove one, and I saw 3 other people drive it. ,
Old 11-13-05, 10:36 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

IS350 (Premium Package, 18" wheels, Preferred Accessory Package):

MSRP: $38,040

Invoice: $33,384
Holdback: $709

Dealer cost: $32,675

Dealer gross profit: $5365

In any case, that guy is claiming that he got the car for a few hundred less than dealer cost. Doesn't make much sense, unless he was an employee or the car was a demo or slightly damaged.
Old 11-14-05, 05:54 PM
IS 350
Driver School Candidate

i just talked to 3 different dealer, they still want me to wait 45 - 90 days( from the first day IS hit the dealer) to get my employee discount, and i am getting 3-4% under invoice, so 6k off is not impossible, is just about the timing, if the owner of that dealership is his buddy, there is nothing impossible, other than that, i really don't know, coz they are not even giving discount to employee at this moment
Old 11-14-05, 06:04 PM
Onyx-IS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS 350
i just talked to 3 different dealer, they still want me to wait 45 - 90 days( from the first day IS hit the dealer) to get my employee discount, and i am getting 3-4% under invoice...other than that, i really don't know, coz they are not even giving discount to employee at this moment
If you're a toyota employee you recieve employee pricing, but you are supposed to order through TMS (Not go to a dealership) and all orders going through TMS take 3-4 months...What is your affiliation/employement with toyota?
Old 11-14-05, 06:56 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

If he got the discount, I'm thinking it's ONLY because this car wasn't loaded. Dealers are at least CURRENTLY having a hard time getting in totally or ML/NAV loaded 350's.
Old 11-14-05, 07:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS 350
i just talked to 3 different dealer, they still want me to wait 45 - 90 days( from the first day IS hit the dealer) to get my employee discount, and i am getting 3-4% under invoice, so 6k off is not impossible, is just about the timing, if the owner of that dealership is his buddy, there is nothing impossible, other than that, i really don't know, coz they are not even giving discount to employee at this moment
Well, nothing is impossible. I think most are just saying any Joe Schmo from the street will find it extremey difficult to be able to walk into a dealership and get $6k off an IS350. If there are other circumstances, then who knows but supposedly this person says there is no special conditions.

If this was really the case, I think I might be convinced to buy an IS too.
Old 11-14-05, 08:13 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

without knowing any more about the situation, one of the ways dealers can finagle with the numbers is by giving you way less that market trade-in price on your trade in . . .
Old 11-14-05, 08:15 PM
LexFather

I don't think they can get that much off the IS b/c that is about the figure for the employee discount on a car priced in the GX/GS range.

They don't give the same discount to cheaper cars, like the IS/ES.
Old 11-14-05, 08:55 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Onyx-IS350
If you're a toyota employee you recieve employee pricing, but you are supposed to order through TMS (Not go to a dealership) and all orders going through TMS take 3-4 months...What is your affiliation/employement with toyota?
That is totally correct!
Without knowing the background or his affiliation with lexusI I cant say for sure
BUT it is possible to get 20% if you know the right people and like OnyxIS350 said it cannot be ordered through the dealership only delivered to the dealership of your choice. I know this for a fact because I am lucky enough to have a good friend thats hooking me up with a 20% discount. Im not at liberty to say too much. I dont want to get in trouble or bring attention to my friend.
Old 11-14-05, 09:36 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Erick G
That is totally correct!
Without knowing the background or his affiliation with lexusI I cant say for sure
BUT it is possible to get 20% if you know the right people and like OnyxIS350 said it cannot be ordered through the dealership only delivered to the dealership of your choice. I know this for a fact because I am lucky enough to have a good friend thats hooking me up with a 20% discount. Im not at liberty to say too much. I dont want to get in trouble or bring attention to my friend.
Is the 20 percent discount regardless of WHICH options you get and whether you get the 250 or 350?
Old 11-14-05, 09:42 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

The problem with this guy is that he said that there were no conditions. Meaning, he isn't an employee and he doesn't know anyone that can pull certain strings for him. He walked into a dealership and was able to negotiate 6K off the car. That is complete and utter BS and I don't buy it for a second. If he knows someone, maybe. If he is an employee, perhaps. But not knowing anyone and getting 6K off the car at this point in the game is a lie. It will be hard enough to get 6K off the car in 2 years, nevermind only 1 month after the car was released.

Let this thread die because it just doesn't add up.
Old 11-14-05, 10:14 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Erick G
That is totally correct!
With the employee discount that you are getting do you pay invoice or below invoice?

My g/f's good friends husband works for Toyota Corporate in Torrance, CA and she asked me awhile ago if I wanted a discount or not. I really didnt take it seriously because I wasnt in the market for a new car.

But anything near 20% is huge. I might have to let my g/f know to give him a call.
Old 11-14-05, 11:24 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Is the 20 percent discount regardless of WHICH options you get and whether you get the 250 or 350?
I can get any model from lexus I just want an IS
As far as is being before or after invoice i dont have the details
I just assumed it was 20% off msrp.

ShooExpert you are correct.. not knowing anyone and from a dealership 6k sounds ridiculous.

Quick Reply: $6grand discount on 350?