IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Getting IS350 in hours.. or weeks! Pics no=NO 56K

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 06:03 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I have the answer for you, buy a 250 in your 2nd color choice and a 350 in your first color choice. Problem solved. Tell the dealer you'll take both.

haha.... I cant wait for my car to get here... im hoping for late Jan
Old 11-20-05, 09:53 AM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckb
better than black

Thanks for posting the pics of the SGM after prepping!! It re-affirmed my decision on the SGM 350 that I have on order! My only advice on your decision to choose SGM or Black Onyx would be to trust your intial gut feeling. You can't go wrong with either one....
Old 11-24-05, 12:20 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all, sorry for the delay here. Well, my black onyx came in today and I must say I was HUGELY let down. There were very fine scratches all over the entire car. Of course many may not notice it, but having read a few posts about TRULY detailing a car, I am slowly learning what to look for. These scratches were NOT swirl marks, rather narrow straight lines in many cases. The car was shipped from another dealer it only has 14 miles on it, but I fear SOMEONE did a poor wash on the car. The dealaership has agreed to "buff out" the car, but I'm not sure it's gonna make much of a difference, they already tried a portion of it, and say they need a wool buff pad to truly do it right? Anyway, for those of you who bought black, when you FIRST bought it, did you notice very fine scratches throughout the car's exterior? Is this just an example of Lexus' single stage paint with the clear coat built in? I ALSO noticed similar scratching on an '05 black SC430 in their showroom, but the scratches weren't nearly as bad.

I REALIZE scratches are inevitable, but this is my first new car, and I would have thought buying a NEW car meant the scratches are slim to NONE!?

Man, I'm actually leaning toward the SGM, just so I don't notice the scratches as much, but BLACK ONYX is really in my heart!? Any suggestions, advice? I really don't know if I can wait 2 months for another black on black that hasn't yet been dealer prepped!

For now I'm waiting to see the car after they give it a buff, guess the wait continues... Of course I'm hoping for the best!
Old 11-24-05, 05:40 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Hey all, sorry for the delay here. Well, my black onyx came in today and I must say I was HUGELY let down. There were very fine scratches all over the entire car. Of course many may not notice it, but having read a few posts about TRULY detailing a car, I am slowly learning what to look for. These scratches were NOT swirl marks, rather narrow straight lines in many cases. The car was shipped from another dealer it only has 14 miles on it, but I fear SOMEONE did a poor wash on the car. The dealaership has agreed to "buff out" the car, but I'm not sure it's gonna make much of a difference, they already tried a portion of it, and say they need a wool buff pad to truly do it right? Anyway, for those of you who bought black, when you FIRST bought it, did you notice very fine scratches throughout the car's exterior? Is this just an example of Lexus' single stage paint with the clear coat built in? I ALSO noticed similar scratching on an '05 black SC430 in their showroom, but the scratches weren't nearly as bad.

I REALIZE scratches are inevitable, but this is my first new car, and I would have thought buying a NEW car meant the scratches are slim to NONE!?

Man, I'm actually leaning toward the SGM, just so I don't notice the scratches as much, but BLACK ONYX is really in my heart!? Any suggestions, advice? I really don't know if I can wait 2 months for another black on black that hasn't yet been dealer prepped!

For now I'm waiting to see the car after they give it a buff, guess the wait continues... Of course I'm hoping for the best!
brand new car being buffed up by dealer= they will pay their $6 an hour car washer to F up your car more. don't do it. get a different one.
Old 11-24-05, 05:51 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3

if you are gonna look THAT close to notice scratches on a brand new car (come to think of it, I forgot to check my wife for blemishes before I married her), get the SGM. But seriously, we ALL want the car's finish to be in PERFECT condition, FOREVER. In reality, it never lasts very long, what with road debris, chips, bird dropping, and oh yes, that first ding--now that's gonna hurt. After that, life goes back to normal again.
Old 11-24-05, 11:34 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

I say get the SGM. If the scratches bother you that bad NOW, they will only drive you CRAZY later. I have had 3 previous black cars and you can see what I went with when I bought my IS. I personally will never own another black car because it seems after the first real wash after its been dirty it won't come out nearly as clean and it just looks dirty all the time unless you garage it. That is always how I felt with my other cars. And its not long before the tiny hair line scratches start to show. Good luck on your purchase, and just be patient.
Old 11-24-05, 11:35 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
if you are gonna look THAT close to notice scratches on a brand new car (come to think of it, I forgot to check my wife for blemishes before I married her), get the SGM. But seriously, we ALL want the car's finish to be in PERFECT condition, FOREVER. In reality, it never lasts very long, what with road debris, chips, bird dropping, and oh yes, that first ding--now that's gonna hurt. After that, life goes back to normal again.

It may sound like I'm being overly scrutinizing here, but shouldn't a brand new car be just that: brand new? Of course I know perfection in paint doesn't last forever, unless you maybe have this:
http://www.benzworld.org/news/news.asp?id=254
But still, the prep/paint does seem a bit faulty.
Old 11-24-05, 11:49 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Michael,
Follow your destiny!! (get the sgm) You know it to be true!!!!!
Old 11-24-05, 12:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Hey Maximus. What's funny is I completely had my mind made up about going with the SGM afer I saw it in daylight, then I saw it in the shade next to a black onyx... and the SGM just looked kinda drab, like a dirty black, still a great color, but less pizazz, if you will. That said, I'd be happy with either color, but if they can't get the scratches out of the black onyx... I believe the SGM WILL beccome my destiny!
Old 11-24-05, 02:19 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just think how many scratches you will be able to see later if you get the black. Nothing shows scratches better than black.
Old 11-24-05, 03:03 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

You're right. The thing is I feel like I don't mind if I put scratches on the car later, it's almost the principal of buying a new car... it just shouldn't have scratches on it.

Regarding black cars, there's just something formal about it. No disrespect to SGM, as the metallic is unlike ANYTHING I've ever seen. As appropriately put by another black owner. You wouldn't rent a smoky granite mica tuxedo, ya know? Of course you can dry clean a tux without swirl marks.
Old 12-21-05, 12:17 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default HELP! An update!

I must be cursed, my 2nd black IS350 came in
today I saw it at the dealership LATE after work,
there was some dirt around the driver's side front
wheel well, I looked closer and felt a scratch,
I tried to photograph it, sorry it was dark and out of focus.
I'm SO bummed, what do I do? Should I have them
sand it and paint it? Should they paint the whole bumper?
Am I overreacting? Should they just use the touch-up paint?

Sorry for the blurry pics, it was late and my point and
shoot has little ability in darkness.

Old 12-21-05, 06:44 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I used to have a car similar to that color, then after that i had the same exact
car in jet black, i defiantly liked the jet black better...
Old 12-21-05, 08:14 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Ha, yeah, park assist but no sport package

Flipside, you'd probably pick black onyx over SGM, didn't you say you felt SGM was kind of boring?

if any part of your brain says no to this color then you shouldn't get it.. nothing wrong waiting cuz you are not paying cheap price for it..
Old 12-21-05, 11:55 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Well I put a call into the dealer today and told them I noticed the scratch, they didn't call me back but I went back tonight late after work and it looks better, tons of "swirl marks" under my headlights, but no scratch. Guess that means they touched it up and waxed it? Sux, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm SO tired of waiting, I actually put the deposit down on this car in October!? I'm leaning toward just getting it and throwing a clear bra on it and enjoying it already. Maybe I can get them to throw in a 10k service or something.

Quick Reply: Help! Getting IS350 in hours.. or weeks! Pics no=NO 56K