Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 10:42 AM
amw896
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow!

Turning this off is the best thing ever! Anyone else notice a huge difference in steering feel!? If it's not just in my head then the VDIM is an incredibly intrusive system because I feel that the 350 now feels similar to the 250 in terms of steering input.
Old 08-18-14, 11:41 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by amw896
Turning this off is the best thing ever! Anyone else notice a huge difference in steering feel!? If it's not just in my head then the VDIM is an incredibly intrusive system because I feel that the 350 now feels similar to the 250 in terms of steering input.
I'm not sure about steering feel but I noticed that when VDIM is fully activated, it can fight against your desired steering input by keeping the car straight with understeer, even when you increase the turn angle of your steering wheel. This is to prevent any potential oversteer but it can be intrusive when wanting to drive spiritedly.
Old 08-18-14, 11:52 AM
amw896
Rookie

Originally Posted by redspencer
I'm not sure about steering feel but I noticed that when VDIM is fully activated, it can fight against your desired steering input by keeping the car straight with understeer, even when you increase the turn angle of your steering wheel. This is to prevent any potential oversteer but it can be intrusive when wanting to drive spiritedly.
This - yes!
Old 08-18-14, 07:44 PM
papajawn
Driver School Candidate

I've tried MANY MANY MANY times and I dont know if im getting it right?

There is a "TRAC OFF" button already on my 06 IS350.
Do i press that button so it already shows the skid icon?

Or do i make sure it doesnt show the skid icon before i try?

I did the dance with it off and for some reason the icon never turns on?

I start the car on with its E brake down.
then foot brake, foot brake (holding it down)
e brake release, e brake back down

and repeat...

still nothing?

help the newb lol
Old 08-19-14, 12:57 PM
amw896
Rookie

Originally Posted by papajawn

and repeat...

still nothing?

help the newb lol
Keep repeating the cycle. Mine for some reason does not work until the 3rd rotation.
Old 08-19-14, 04:05 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by papajawn

and repeat...

still nothing?

help the newb lol
Start the car with both brakes applied. During the procedure, you will always have at least one of the 2 applied. Once the car starts, tap the brake twice, finishing with the brake applied. Now do the same with the E brake, release, engage, release, engage (finishing once again with it applied), now take your foot off the brake and press it twice (finishing with it applied again.... starting to see a pattern). Keep doing this back and forth until the light comes on. Sometimes I get it quickly, sometimes I have to repeat it a couple times.
Old 08-19-14, 05:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For ISx50 2006, you need to do the pedal dance. Start the car with BOTH brakes applied, while holding the parking brake, press the brake twice or 3 times from top to bottom. Next, hold the brake and press the parking brake 2-3 times from top to bottom. Repeat this until the skid light turns on.

If you do it right, it should be on in the 2nd time of the cycle above. If not, turn off the car and do it right again.
Old 08-19-14, 05:48 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amw896
When i turn it off during autocross, I feel the same too. The steering becomes a bit lighter but MORE accurate, more crisp, and more RESPONSIVE to your input. It doesn't fight against you but it let you turn anywhere you want.

On top of that, I feel like my car took a big diet or something lol. It is so feather lightweight I have tossed my IS350 and drift it around the autocross and shreaded so much tires lol
Old 08-20-14, 04:38 AM
amw896
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
When i turn it off during autocross, I feel the same too. The steering becomes a bit lighter but MORE accurate, more crisp, and more RESPONSIVE to your input. It doesn't fight against you but it let you turn anywhere you want.

On top of that, I feel like my car took a big diet or something lol. It is so feather lightweight I have tossed my IS350 and drift it around the autocross and shreaded so much tires lol
LOL - couldn't have described it better myself!
Old 08-20-14, 06:23 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Have you 06 owners considered updating your Skid Control ECU to an 07+ version? That way, you won't have to do the pedal dance every time you want to turn off VSC. I'm not sure if it's 100% plug n' play but if it is, I would seriously consider that mod (especially when used units go for less than $100 on eBay).
Old 08-20-14, 08:40 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Have you 06 owners considered updating your Skid Control ECU to an 07+ version? That way, you won't have to do the pedal dance every time you want to turn off VSC. I'm not sure if it's 100% plug n' play but if it is, I would seriously consider that mod (especially when used units go for less than $100 on eBay).
What's the part number? I know it is in a thread somewhere but can't seem to find it.
Old 08-20-14, 11:03 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by getafewliv
What's the part number? I know it is in a thread somewhere but can't seem to find it.
According to what someone had posted on another thread, the part number for the 2007 Skid Control Module is 89540-53290.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS350-ABS-Skid-Control-Module-8954053250-8954053251-8954053290-/300872241520?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIS350&hash=item460d621170&vxp=mtr#ht_454wt_1124
Attached Thumbnails Wanna turn off VDIM? :)-skid-ecu.jpg  
Old 08-20-14, 01:26 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Straight up Contra code lol
Old 09-27-14, 04:21 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned mine off one night coming home from the gym. Wanted to get a little drift going around a corner, ended up going down the street sideways for about 1/32 of a mile. Probably should have a little more respect then I did on a public road.

Learned 2 lessons

-wait until tires warm up
-probably better when asphalt is warm as well
Old 09-28-14, 08:53 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navarachi
I turned mine off one night coming home from the gym. Wanted to get a little drift going around a corner, ended up going down the street sideways for about 1/32 of a mile. Probably should have a little more respect then I did on a public road.

Learned 2 lessons

-wait until tires warm up
-probably better when asphalt is warm as well
I disagree with your lessons learned. I think the real lesson learned is you need to find a big empty parking lot and practice your power slides. Then you can lay down a precise drift warm or cold to impress the ladies!

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)