IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I am freakin' out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 05:43 PM
Kailua250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am freakin' out!

So I wake up from a nap today (yes it's aloha Friday) and take a look out the window. Low and behold my windows are down and the moonroof is open. I think to myself, "That is odd, I didn't drive the car today and it has been raining." I continue, "Maybe it was my roommate who has been playing with my keys." A minute later, when I come back from the bathroom, I open my drawer in my room and there are my keys. No one would have been able to open the windows/moonroof.
A feling of shock and horror go through my body. First, how did the windows get open? Did the car do it on its own? Is there someone who has some sort of electronic device that can learn the car's code? Just how did it open?
Secondly, did it rain since I went to sleep and the windows opened? I run down to the living room and interigate everyone. No one has a clue. I go out and investigate. Thankfully there isn't a drop of moisture in the car. Then I close her up.

Does anyone know what might have happened? Has anyone else had this happen to them? Should I call the dealer and se what they say? What if my car ends up being stolen? Like the title of this thread states: "I am freakin' out!"
Old 11-18-05, 06:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax. You just forgot LOL.
Old 11-18-05, 06:22 PM
Mickeyc001
Driver School Candidate

I feel you man. I had the happen w/ my RX300. It freaked the poop out of me. Come to find out, if you hold down the unlock button on the remote for a few seconds, all the windows start rolling down and the sunroof opens. I'm not sure if it's the same for an IS3500. I'm due to get mine Wednesday..so I can't try it out for you.
Old 11-18-05, 08:40 PM
Kailua250
Driver

I know that it works if you hold the unlock down but I know I didn't do that. Oh well. I will just hope it doesn't happen again. I called my dealer and told her to report it to the service department to see if there were any other similar reports. Of course she told me it was impossible for it to happen on it's own.
I can only hope I blacked out and forgot, HA!
Old 11-18-05, 10:01 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

You know, I've heard of this happening to Audi's and VW's w/ their remote window feature. Some people would wake up to find their windows and moonroof's open. Maybe just "stray" signals.....I dunno? I don't think that it is "impossible" though, the car has A LOT of electronics!
Old 11-19-05, 03:32 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default those who of us who don't yet own a 2nd gen IS...

Ok, for those of us who don't own a second gen IS...yet...

how do you roll up the windows & close the moonroof? do you have to start the car? Not owning one I don't understand all the can/cannot's with the start / stop button.
Old 11-19-05, 05:06 PM
plgtx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knox_sport
Ok, for those of us who don't own a second gen IS...yet...

how do you roll up the windows & close the moonroof? do you have to start the car? Not owning one I don't understand all the can/cannot's with the start / stop button.
Holding the unlock button on the remote can open the windows/moonroof. Using the key in the door can close them. I don't own one yet either, but it is the same on my Accord.
Old 11-19-05, 05:32 PM
Kailua250
Driver

like plgtx said, you can use the key in the door to close everything but that requires that you pull out your standard key, pry off the plastic cover over the lock, insert your key, and turn and hold the key in the lock position. Too much effort if you ask me. I don't roll my windows down remotely unless I am going to get in her and drive. Otherwise you can get in, do not press the brake, push the start button twice (this puts you in ig-on mode), then you can close everything without starting the car. Push the start button again to turn her off again.
Old 11-19-05, 05:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Report it to the Servco Lexus dealer and have them physically check it out. More than likely they will not find anything wrong though. However, if it does happen again in the future and something does get stolen or rain damage to the interior because of the open moonroof/windows, you now have a paper history of this problem at the dealer and maybe can get some compensation.
Old 11-19-05, 09:01 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened in our GS. husband was at work and came out and was shocked to find all windows open, when he never leaves them down. but he did have the key in his pocket all day and maybe sat on it the wrong way to depress the unlock button. i think that is the only way it could happen.

now he's aware and more careful, and it hasn't happened since. i think you can have this feature disabled if you are paranoid about it. hopefully it won't happen to you again though
Old 11-19-05, 10:18 PM
350ISRYDER
Pole Position

Whoa, I'm glad I was reading your post! Now I know that my car can be doing this to me too. I think I should go test this out on my car. Funny you mentioned this though. Last night when I was inspecting my car, I had a hard time with the outside courtesy lights. It was doing some weird things. I approached the driver side it wouldn't go on, but then when I approached from the passenger side it came on. This kept going on for like 5-10 minutes and then magically the driver side started coming on consistently. These electronic gizmos are really funky. Well, hope your problems were solved. I'm gonna go to Servco tomorrow to ask them about that light thing and also...did your front bumper come with pre-drilled holes in them? I was kind of disappointed about them drilling straight into the bumper and not having some kind of bracket holder for the license plate!