IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 06:37 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 in winter

Does anyone own a IS 350 and drive it around in the snow yet? I would like to buy the 350, but it is only RWD. I am forced to the 250, but would like to hear any experiences from people who have driven in the snow with it.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-19-05, 07:15 PM
sajonf
Driver

I have searched all over this site and others on this topic, and there's not much information out there yet. I guess there hasn't been much snow yet this winter.

I am also very interested in how this car will get around in the white stuff with snow tires. I have a deposit on a 350 that will be here next week and am also purchasing a set of G-spider accessory wheels with Blizzaks at the same time. I think someone else on this site has the same setup.

If anybody gets a chance to try out the 350 in the snow within the next few days, please post your experience - it might help me decide whether or not to buy the snow tires or save that $$ for a 4WD beater. Everything I have heard and read leads me to believe that snow tires make a RWD sports sedan such as the IS or a BMW very capable in the snow. The many electronic safety gizmos in the car will probably help as well.
Old 11-19-05, 07:39 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sajonf
I have searched all over this site and others on this topic, and there's not much information out there yet. I guess there hasn't been much snow yet this winter.

I am also very interested in how this car will get around in the white stuff with snow tires. I have a deposit on a 350 that will be here next week and am also purchasing a set of G-spider accessory wheels with Blizzaks at the same time. I think someone else on this site has the same setup.

If anybody gets a chance to try out the 350 in the snow within the next few days, please post your experience - it might help me decide whether or not to buy the snow tires or save that $$ for a 4WD beater. Everything I have heard and read leads me to believe that snow tires make a RWD sports sedan such as the IS or a BMW very capable in the snow. The many electronic safety gizmos in the car will probably help as well.
Not sure where you are in MO but in Kansas City, we don't get too too much snow.

I thought about the same for my 350 and I have decided on the winter or all-season tires. And probably the wheels, too.

The beater I just couldn't rationalize it. On average, how much would you expect to spend on a reliable beater that you might drive a week or two per year?
Old 11-19-05, 07:52 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Blizzaks or Dunlop M3s will get the job done. A true snow tire such as those make an unbelievable difference. Combine that with VDIM and you should be fine
Old 11-19-05, 07:53 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Not sure where you are in MO but in Kansas City, we don't get too too much snow.

I thought about the same for my 350 and I have decided on the winter or all-season tires. And probably the wheels, too.

The beater I just couldn't rationalize it. On average, how much would you expect to spend on a reliable beater that you might drive a week or two per year?

I'm in KC too.. Good to know that there is a fellow Kansas Citian here. I know what you mean about not getting much snow around here but it's the few good snowfalls that we get every year that concerns me. Not just the day it snows but the several days afterward that the streets are still snow covered or icy.

I had an 01 IS300 that I couldn't even get out of my completely flat driveway when it snowed but that was with the stock summer tires. I didn't know at the time that snow tires would make as much difference as people say they do or I would have tried them. I agree with you on the beater also, I would hate to have to maintain it, pay property taxes, tags, etc. just so I could get around in the snow a couple of times a year.

Hopefully someone will come on here soon and tell us all how great their new IS got around in the snow with snow tires and VDIM.
Old 11-19-05, 08:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there some other alternative to a true snow tire? What about all-season tires? Is it a good idea to run on snow tires when the roads are dry? Yes the 5 times it really snows hard here, snow tires would be ideal but I can't see putting them on and taking them off more than 2 times per winter. Can we put on some good all-season tires in late December and run them all winter until end of February? Or can Blizzaks really go on dry roads....
Old 11-19-05, 08:26 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Is there some other alternative to a true snow tire? What about all-season tires? Is it a good idea to run on snow tires when the roads are dry? Yes the 5 times it really snows hard here, snow tires would be ideal but I can't see putting them on and taking them off more than 2 times per winter. Can we put on some good all-season tires in late December and run them all winter until end of February? Or can Blizzaks really go on dry roads....
I ran my Dunlop M2s (now replaced by the M3) from December to mid March. They are fine on dry roads and I was able to get 3 winters out of my first set. Use them on dry roads.. if you are worried call Tirerack and ask to be transfered to Luke or Gary (they are well known there) and ask them what they think.
Old 11-19-05, 11:41 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The snow is the reason I'm not taking delivery until March
Old 11-20-05, 06:20 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry, no snow yet.

I am the owner with the G Spiders with snow tires waiting to go on the car.

Here is another picture of the wheel/tire combo.

A lot of the reason for running snows is improved handling on the cold and wet roads experienced in winter. These tires run great on dry roads (no noise).

Regarding the Dunlop M3, the folks at Tirerack mentioned that the 225 width in an 18 inch tire would be hard to come by this season so I went with LM -25s.

I also started out the purchaing process with an IS250 AWD in mind but afet driving the two cars, no way was I getting the 250.
Attached Thumbnails IS 350 in winter-is350-010.jpg  
Old 11-20-05, 08:32 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Sorry, no snow yet.

I am the owner with the G Spiders with snow tires waiting to go on the car.

Here is another picture of the wheel/tire combo.

A lot of the reason for running snows is improved handling on the cold and wet roads experienced in winter. These tires run great on dry roads (no noise).

Regarding the Dunlop M3, the folks at Tirerack mentioned that the 225 width in an 18 inch tire would be hard to come by this season so I went with LM -25s.

I also started out the purchaing process with an IS250 AWD in mind but afet driving the two cars, no way was I getting the 250.

Same for me, I started off intending to buy an AWD 250 but after after driving both there was no question that the 350 was the car I wanted.

Let us know how it goes when you encounter some snow with your Blizzaks (I'm sure you would have anyway, but I will be eagerly awaiting as I will have the exact same setup)

Thanks!!
Old 11-20-05, 02:32 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-21-05, 01:02 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Folks .Check out this thread on the GS forum on what VDIM does in the snow.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=vdim+snow
Old 11-21-05, 04:14 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Ah, good posting. I will test drive both cars December 8th. Why did you guys opt out of the 250 when you drove the 350? Is there that much of a power difference? I am spoiled in my 400h with its power
Old 11-21-05, 04:58 PM
NEEDanIS
Driver School Candidate

Reading Rockvilles testomonials made my day. I have been concerned about the prospect of driving a RWD car in Chicago winters, but he seems to have full confidence in the VDIM system. I hope this Lexus employee is telling the honest truth, instead of trying to sell the VDIM system to us potential buyers.
Old 11-21-05, 05:11 PM
Karlos72
Driver School Candidate

Same here NEEDanIS.

I have an IS250AWD+LUX+NAV on order because I thought I was making the sensible choice for the winters here in central IL. Now, after a month of waiting for my car and still no idea when it might arrive, I am going to pull my order tomorrow and jump on the IS350 bandwagon.

Look forward to hearing some reports of the IS350+VDIM in the snow.