Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05 | 01:10 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Wait for the new LS...
Old 11-26-05 | 01:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

That's gonna cost a whole lot more than the IS350 !
Old 11-26-05 | 03:48 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xravexboix
It's simply a "LINE IN" jack that connects to the headphone (or LINE OUT, if your mp3 player has it) jack. The sound quality can only be so good when being passed post-amp. Line-out are pre-amp, which lowers the noise floor... but not very many mp3 players out there have line out jacks. Granted I haven't tested it out myself, but, based off the facts, that's how I'm guessing it to be. The convenience factor is awesome though =P

I'm also trying to choose between an IS 350 ML/Navi/Sports PKG vs 2004+ LS (small sports vs ultimate luxury). It's a hard choice since the price point is about equal. But, like the main theme of the thread, it depends on your needs and wants.
I was referring to the head unit's ability to decode MP3, which none of the other Lexus models can do currently.
Old 11-26-05 | 03:55 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by digital_b
where do people get these stupid ideas about the age you should be to drive a car? gotta be complete ignorance. I have an ultra lux LS and I really like it but what I have found is that I am getting more and more to enjoy DRIVING a car instead of just cruising which is what an LS is for. if you have highway driving to do,say more than 40 miles in a stretch you cant beat an LS. its like a private plane for short-medium travel. and yes morons will gawk at your car. yikes. the IS just seems to be so much more fun. man I know that the LS is if you care about such things the ultimate ride but what is that really worth if you enjoy other things about driving? my wife always says when I tell her how much I like the IS 'but I love this car...' . well she can enjoy her rx 330. I am pretty certain I will be getting an IS because it is an envigorating car.
It may be stereotyping, but every car manufacturer targets certain demographic with each model (age, gender, income, etc). Yes, there can be exceptions and outliers; just as there are grannies driving Porsches in bikinis. It's not wrong, just PERCEIVED by others as being "off."

Last edited by jlin101; 11-26-05 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-26-05 | 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xravexboix
It's simply a "LINE IN" jack that connects to the headphone (or LINE OUT, if your mp3 player has it) jack. The sound quality can only be so good when being passed post-amp. Line-out are pre-amp, which lowers the noise floor... but not very many mp3 players out there have line out jacks. Granted I haven't tested it out myself, but, based off the facts, that's how I'm guessing it to be. The convenience factor is awesome though =P

I'm also trying to choose between an IS 350 ML/Navi/Sports PKG vs 2004+ LS (small sports vs ultimate luxury). It's a hard choice since the price point is about equal. But, like the main theme of the thread, it depends on your needs and wants.
huh? IS can read mp3's directly from cd/dvd... It does not need an mp3 player, although it has line in for one...
Old 11-26-05 | 04:20 PM
Jayson
Advanced

If it were me, I would have to go for the LS430. I would never buy new, so a CPO LS430 with NAV and sport suspension would be the better choice. Hey just think, when you take your LS in for servicing next year, just request an IS250 as your loaner and presto, best of both worlds!

(Yes, I know the 250 is not like the 350)
Old 11-26-05 | 07:04 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

OH SWEET! You used the picture of my IS! I knew that pic looked familiar, haha.. I don't know much about the LS, but I love my IS. So I say you should take that one.. But not the one in the pic, that one is mine

PS. Don't really use post as a factor. I personally haven't experienced the LS so I don't know what it's like.

Last edited by AgBlue; 11-26-05 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-27-05 | 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
I was referring to the head unit's ability to decode MP3, which none of the other Lexus models can do currently.
this has been mentioned few thousand times before, but here it is again - IS's head unit can decode mp3's .
Old 11-27-05 | 11:52 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The LS has already depreciated and the IS will be much more lost in the long run.
Old 11-27-05 | 09:06 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

I just recently sold my LS400. A decision I now regret. My colleague at work put it best: "Now that you're spoiled with the LS, no other car will Measure up" and boy was he right. Go with your heart on this one and test drive both(with your girlfriend).
The idea of comparing the two is not as far fetched as some people may think; others compare cars they like by price also.
I should point out however that after having test driven the IS350, I would be at a crossroads too.
Old 11-28-05 | 10:07 AM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Don't get the LS!
I'm sorry, but despite the moral-anti-superficial-factor, etc.—age DOES matter. A young person driving a "mature" lux car looks niave and pretentious to those with any intelligence. It's like trying too hard to look wealthy and smart, which just makes you look rich and dumb.

Despite your already 5 year relationship (hopefully monogamous), an LS is not going to attract the honies... unless you're thinking old honey. hehe Besides... if you're a sensible person, you're not going to go after a girl who is more concerned with your car than she is your intelligence, character, etc.

Some thoughts:
- Few outside of Lexus fanatics understand what an LS means... it's just a big asian luxury car, that looks like an oversized Hyundai... which leads to the next point:
- The LS is ugly as hell.
- It's a grandpa car... wait until you have a sensitive prostrate the size of a basketball... hemorrhoids... and frequent surgery before you choose long-trip smoothness over smooth, luxury sport.
- IS is fast.
- IS is WAY more sophisticated, it really is Lexus's first vehicle that edges into sophisticated design and styling. (Thank you BMW influence)
- '06 IS is higher-tech than an '04 LS.
- New > Used, Sure, driving a brand new car off a lot is typically a $5-10k dollar experience, but it is probably worth it.

Okay... I've got to stop. LOL... it's amazing how reading through a thread like this can annoy me enough to get rally-up enough opinion to waste my time writing a response like this.

Just get the IS already.
Old 11-29-05 | 12:13 PM
ISsupergrl
Driver School Candidate

Hi new member here
I'm looking to purchase a new IS soon. (debating which color to get!) From a girl's perspective, the IS is sexier! Yes, like the other members said, the LS does seem like an "older person" car. It makes me think of an a VIP executive in his 40s plus. My friend's parents has an LS, and it is very quiet and roomy and cozy, but I still vote for the new IS.
Old 11-29-05 | 02:06 PM
caffeine
Rookie

Default Hard Call.

I'm 24 and drive a LS400 and am thinking about getting an IS350...so I'm kind of on the same boat as you. And even though a 04 LS430 is a lot nicer and newer than my 95, its the same idea.

The reason that I am getting the IS350 is because it has all the luxury I need (with the premium package, navi/heated/cooled seats) I almost never have people in the back seat and when I do its never more than 2 people which can sit in the back of an IS without a problem. The IS is also not only faster, but also uses less gas.

The IS being a new model, will actually get you more looks than the LS430 especially since it is due for a remodel. So bottom line.........even though the LS430 is a bigger, better, more plush car.....I would defintely get the IS350.
Old 11-29-05 | 04:29 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AgBlue
OH SWEET! You used the picture of my IS! I knew that pic looked familiar, haha.. I don't know much about the LS, but I love my IS. So I say you should take that one.. But not the one in the pic, that one is mine

PS. Don't really use post as a factor. I personally haven't experienced the LS so I don't know what it's like.
First off I have to give big ups to AgBlue for allowing me to use the pic of his sweet ride. Thanks!

Ok, So I went to the Lex dealer over the weekend. (and yes I brought my monogonus girlfriend with me). They had an IS350 demo model there that I was able to poke around without getting hassled by a salesperson (belive it or not). Let me tell you that is one sweet looking ride. Interior is nice, really nice. My only concern is that the car is very small, I mean when I sat in the drivers seat I did not feel cramped (like the Mercedes C320) but I didnt feel that there was all that much room. My only gripe, I loved everything else.

I did not have a chance to look at the LS430, but the GS300 did catch my eye. This car has the sweet new styling that the IS has and it is bigger but still sporty and "young".

So this is what Im thinking, and please give me all the feedback you can. The new GS came out as a 2005 model, so... if I sit on my car for a few more months these cars should start popping up in the market used. It would have low miles and have already burned through the new car depreciation. My only problem is my ES is getting very old to me, I have had the car since 1999 and its really time for something new, but If I stick in there I can have a big, new, GS. That wait could be up to a year though.

what do you all think?

I still need to go test drive these things, lol.

Here is something to drool over:

Last edited by Nixsun79; 11-29-05 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-29-05 | 04:50 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

One more thing just to show how byist this poll is. I made the same post in LS forum. Check the stats, LOL.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188981

Quick Reply: IS350 -vs- LS430 Purchase?