IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 12:06 PM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I sign a contract for a car, I ALWAYS get a copy of the invoice from the dealer, even it it is faxed to me, that lists ALL of the standard and optional equipment. That protects both sides. If you signed a contract that did not specifically list the rain sensing wipers and the HID, I doubt that you will get anything out of the dealer. My 250 AWD is something like my 36th car so I'm getting pretty experienced at this (22 were purchased new).
Old 12-03-05, 12:18 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

A deposit does not guarrantee a car or a price. It only guarrantees a order. A deposit/order can be cancelled by either party. Verbal agreements are always shaky so it's always a good idea to get it in writing from the sales manager, not the salesperson. Just list the options and agreement price on a piece of paper with a signature, not the sales contract, which does not detail options. An invoice would not exist before a car is sent to dealership, it arrives a week after the car comes in.
As far as salespeople go, he could have made a honest mistake in telling you what he thought was available. It happens more often than not. Now if he's a jerk about it, switch to another more knowledgable salesperson. It is after all, your money and you should give it to whomever you want.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 12-03-05 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 06:06 PM
Dr C
Driver

I just looked at the contract that I signed 3 weeks before my 250AWD came in. It has the VIN number for my car and it lists every option with a price next to it. I don't know why you would need any more than that. I would not sign a blank contract or a contract that did not list the options. Wouldn't make any sense to do so. Might as well sign one with no prices on it.
Old 12-03-05, 08:37 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Oops, forgot contracts are different in every state. Unfortunately California ones do not list one single option on them.
Old 12-03-05, 08:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A deposit works both ways. If you leave a deposit on a car and the salesperson is approached by someone with cash on the spot and they would sell your car out from underneath you, your deposit didn't hold anything in particular...you should be able to get your money back if you're not getting what you asked for...same way.

If you try to hold a dealership to a verbal agreement, they can hold you to a verbal agreement, too.

But there are no verbiage contracts when it comes to car sales. A vehicle requires a written contract in most states and that written contract will in most cases supercede any verbal agreements, especially the conflicts. When I bought my is350, not only did I sign a written contract, but I also signed this other piece of paper that said the dealer and I didn't make any verbal contracts. Verbal contracts on cars are no good....for anyone.

Look it up, it's called the Statute of Frauds.

Cal.Civ.Code §1624
Old 12-05-05, 09:15 PM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

There was no official contract because the car wasn't available, it wasn't even on their incoming cars list. Due to this i signed a paper that just had the lease term and monthly payment on it and gave a 1,000 deposit. I was even told the price may change in december when the car arrived.

After going to the dealer about 4 times asking if they had any updates on where my car was, the promised 2 week time promised by a manager and 3 tops promised by the salesman became one and a half month and this is on top of the whole HID and rain sensing wiper mistake. I last went in there and i was pissed and started really complaining to my salesman telling him i was unhappy with the service and if he could discount the car or do anything to raise my customer satisfaction. I was told he was going to get a manager to come speak to me. He came back 5 minutes later and tells me they are all to busy to come talk to me but they have agreed to return my $1,000 deposit becuase they would rather loose me as a customer then have me fill out a bad survey when i recieve my car which supossebly could cost them millions. This is obserd instead of offering me some extra discounts or at least free maintance for the life of the car or something to make up for all this they tell me a manager is to busy to speak to me and that they basically dont give a **** if i buy a car somewhere else?

Unfortunatly there are no other dealerships around here who are able to get this car for me within this month and i want the car bad enough that despite the mistakes, cocky attitudes, lack of attention, and just overall horrible service im gonna purchase this car. It's a shame that this car is in such high demand that they think they can get away with treating people like this.

With all this aside i just cant wait to get my car at the end of this month. hopefully nothing else goes wrong.
Old 12-05-05, 09:18 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

what dealership was this at?
Old 12-05-05, 09:25 PM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

JM Lexus in SoFla... City called Margate. Zip is 33063
Old 12-06-05, 09:53 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

use an auto broker
Old 12-06-05, 09:55 AM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

What is that? How does it work?
Old 12-07-05, 03:53 PM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

look in the yellow pages under auto broker. They do all the negotions for you and usually their fee is in the out the door price. You can usually shop their price also