IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Potential future owner - need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05 | 06:13 AM
Aridan
Driver School Candidate

Default Potential future owner - need some opinions...

Greetings everyone

I'm the current owner of a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT. I've had the car for just under two and half years. I originally meant to sell it towards the end of 2006, but due to financial circumstances (new house) I may now be forced to get a different car that will be a bit more economic on gas. I LOVE the car but it eats gas like there's no tomorrow (I guess that's what you get with a 3.5L 280HP engine )

Obviously, due to the reason I mentioned above, the IS350 is out of the picture, as it will probably eat just as much gas as my G. I was wondering if someone can give me some feedback about the IS250. Especially the AWD one (I live in the northeast and could use an AWD...).

I'm looking for the following information:
(please keep in mind that I never owned a Lexus before)

1. Overall impression of the car (as unbiased as possible )
2. Gas consumption (city/hwy %)
3. Cost of maintenance
4. POWER - very important
5. Handling in Dry/Wet/Snow weather (especially the AWD model)
6. Any other common reliability issues the car might have (doubt it, but just in case... )

TIA, much appreciated.
Old 12-01-05 | 09:27 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

1. The car overall outside is very nice. So far I had a ton of people turn their heads at it, then again not many IS350s are around. Interior is done nicely compared to some lexus vehicles in the past, it doesn't lose in comparison to the G35
2. I get about 340 miles a full tank. Roughly 35 bucks to fill it up when the light is on but I normall leave a quarter tank left so I spend about 25 at a time.
3. Maintenance, no idea yet, car is new
4. From switching back and forth with my Nissan 240sx with SR20 in it, this thing is amazingly fast for a luxury sport sedan. I've actually beaten a friend's EVO IX which was kinda weird because I would assume the evo would of killed me.
5. I dont have the sport package so the car is rather soft. Gotta take it into consideration that this car is still made for luxury and comfort. The summer tires package does make a big difference in the dry but tires are horribly expensive. I haven't tried it in the rain yet, hasn't rained so far.
6. Has a few things that people complain about. Head room and back seat room, but then again you're going from a G35 coupe that has a backseat for show pretty much, so it will be a big change in comparison. I'm 6'0" and I find the back seat pretty comfortable and headroom is adequate. I needs coin holders though lol.

hope that helps.
Old 12-01-05 | 12:02 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

kind of like the coin holder....I have a frivolous complaint.....I wish it offer one more cup holder in the front.....remember I said frivolous!
Old 12-01-05 | 12:15 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Aridan, you can compare fuel consumption between the G and the IS (and any other cars) here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/bymanuNF.shtml
Old 12-02-05 | 04:49 AM
Aridan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!
Old 12-02-05 | 05:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zephyr
1. The car overall outside is very nice. So far I had a ton of people turn their heads at it, then again not many IS350s are around. Interior is done nicely compared to some lexus vehicles in the past, it doesn't lose in comparison to the G35
4. From switching back and forth with my Nissan 240sx with SR20 in it, this thing is amazingly fast for a luxury sport sedan. I've actually beaten a friend's EVO IX which was kinda weird because I would assume the evo would of killed me.
How did you beat an EVO IX? Def wasn't from a stop, must have been on the hwy.
Old 12-02-05 | 06:36 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aridan
Greetings everyone

I'm the current owner of a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT. I've had the car for just under two and half years. I originally meant to sell it towards the end of 2006, but due to financial circumstances (new house) I may now be forced to get a different car that will be a bit more economic on gas. I LOVE the car but it eats gas like there's no tomorrow (I guess that's what you get with a 3.5L 280HP engine )

Obviously, due to the reason I mentioned above, the IS350 is out of the picture, as it will probably eat just as much gas as my G. I was wondering if someone can give me some feedback about the IS250. Especially the AWD one (I live in the northeast and could use an AWD...).

3. Cost of maintenance
6. Any other common reliability issues the car might have (doubt it, but just in case... )

TIA, much appreciated.
having owned a 2004 G35C 6MT before and just picking up an IS350 this week, I would say the Lexus is MUCH better quality--much better leather, great stereo/NAV, smooth operation, and lots of thoughtful touches, plus a usable trunk. The IS is as refined as the LS, no kidding. And oh, IS's HID just kills G35's. Styling is a wash--G35C may appeal more to your friends, although personally I find the IS's styling to be a good mix of sportiness, aggessiveness and simple elegance (looks much meaner in person). Handling (at least in the dry) probably goes to G35c, but comfort goes to the IS. I didn't test drive a 250, but I'd think it would be underpowered compared to a G35c. One way to sum up the IS--think G35 in a tuxedo.
Old 12-02-05 | 07:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlin101
having owned a 2004 G35C 6MT before and just picking up an IS350 this week, I would say the Lexus is MUCH better quality--much better leather, great stereo/NAV, smooth operation, and lots of thoughtful touches, plus a usable trunk. The IS is as refined as the LS, no kidding. And oh, IS's HID just kills G35's. Styling is a wash--G35C may appeal more to your friends, although personally I find the IS's styling to be a good mix of sportiness, aggessiveness and simple elegance (looks much meaner in person). Handling (at least in the dry) probably goes to G35c, but comfort goes to the IS. I didn't test drive a 250, but I'd think it would be underpowered compared to a G35c. One way to sum up the IS--think G35 in a tuxedo.

Did you get the Performance Package with your IS350? Just curious because you said the G35 handling seems better than the IS.
Old 12-02-05 | 04:33 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aridan
Greetings everyone

3. Cost of maintenance

TIA, much appreciated.
OK, don't everybody kill me at once, but if he wants both power and awd the IS250 is not the way to go. For performance to equal or beat a G35x you need an Audi A4 with the new direct injection 3.2V6 and 6-speed automatic.

I love our RX330 but when I recently went to look for something smaller with awd the IS250 impressed me as too slow to consider. Furthermore, our dealer was offering them at MSRP only, so it was also overpriced. I bought an A4 with the V6 and premium package, tech package, moonroof and navigation. It's a rocket even with the awd and the handling is phenominal. Still fewer than 1k miles but the computer says I have averaged 24.5 mpg 50/50 city highway-and I drive like gas is free. This is way better than a G35x and the interior is far better. The G's would shame an entry level Cobalt.

Again, don't hate. I tried to buy a Lexus first and would have if the IS350 had awd. We kept the Lexus for my wife, we both love it.