IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 07:14 PM
neko82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Assist

Hi! It's my first time posting here, so hello everyone!

I just got my IS350 last week and I'm loving it. One regret though is not getting the park assist, since I'm a lousy parker and the car feels kinda high.

So my question is, can I still install the park assist now after I have the car?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-01-05, 07:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure at all, but I don't believe so. It appears to be well integrated so if you're talking about yourself or at the dealership....

Park Assist is only cool, that's about it. I can't see it being used to actually park in a tough spot in the real world. After decades or parking normally, I can't trust it fully...not yet. And don't think I will ever.

It is for "assisting" but the front sensors are not a good as the back because the center sensor is missing and for whatever reason, things in the camera appear to be farther away than they really are...to my eyes. I still park as usual but what does come in handy is the audible warnings that let you know you are coming close to something. Now that to me is worth the $$$$.
Old 12-01-05, 08:02 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

I can't see Park Assist helping that much as well. Until the new car feel wears off, I doubt I'll be parking too close to anyone. I'd be more concerned with getting the rim too close to the curb. There's not a worse sound than hearing a rim scrape on the concrete.
Old 12-01-05, 08:50 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

My dealer told me they weren't going to order any more cars with park assist. Ithink its pricey at $500 for what it does, but I rarely have to parallel park.
Old 12-01-05, 09:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good for pulling into your garage closely. I place a box right where I want it off to the side and I can pulling straight into my garage and stop just inches from the box which pulls the rear inside just enough to let the garage door down automatically while I am still in the car (don't have to get out and check). Of course this can be accomplished other ways. Otherwise, that's about it other than a cool rear camera.
Old 12-01-05, 09:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, Park Assist is a factory installed option. It cannot be added and integrated into the Lexus system after production.

There are however aftermarket parking sensors that would audibly signal (slow to loud beeps) if you are about to hit something. They are not integrated into the Lexus system like that of the factory installed option, but rather a little attached device such as a light meter of sorts. You would need to get them professionally installed as it needs to be drilled into the bumper of your car.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-01-05, 10:09 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Unfortunately, Park Assist is a factory installed option. It cannot be added and integrated into the Lexus system after production.

There are however aftermarket parking sensors that would audibly signal (slow to loud beeps) if you are about to hit something. They are not integrated into the Lexus system like that of the factory installed option, but rather a little attached device such as a light meter of sorts. You would need to get them professionally installed as it needs to be drilled into the bumper of your car.

Good luck with your search.
You couldn't be more wrong!

(1) You can get dealer installed Lexus brand parking sensors.
(2) Don't require drilling.

Last edited by TimboIS; 12-02-05 at 08:32 PM.