IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alignment and dealership question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 12:39 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrocket
I had alignment problems with my 350 that caused the vehicle to drift to the right, I asked lexus to check it out and they said they fixed the problem, well they didn't and I took it back again and then again! it took seven (7) !!!! Visits to the dealer to get it fixed, they ended up swaping out all four dunlops for micheline pilots, the problem is fixed but now the steering wheel isnt centered, but they have had the car WAY to long for me to take it back for that, they ended up putting over 150 miles "road testing" the car before they fixed the problem. Im glad that they were as diligent as they were in fixing the problem, I just didn't know that when I bought the car that I would be sponsoring a test mule! My car wasn't the only 350 in for alignment problems either, I think they may have a more serious technical problem on there hands? factory specs may need to be revised.
i wouldn't say that having to take the car in 7 times was them working diligently. If they were working diligently they would have never returned the car to you if it wasn't fixed. That is BS for a 40k car IMO
Old 12-06-05, 07:08 PM
I<3MyIS350

The problem that I have is that my steering needs to be tilted about 5 degrees to the left to drive straight, the guy said its normal with all Japanese cars, is that true?
Old 12-06-05, 08:22 PM
berg7445
Rookie

If it was normal, wouldn't you think they would have realigned the steering wheel that five degrees in the first place? Definitely not normal and whoever told you that is probably blowing smoke.
Old 12-07-05, 04:31 AM
backghost
Driver School Candidate

Just got my IS250AWD back from the dealer ... It had the same issue .. it was out of alignment ..

First visit ... bad tires .... took two weeks to get tires The tires did not fix the issue ( of course )
Complained on dealer service survey ... got a phone call back with in 1 hour and was scheduled in for service on the next day.

2nd visit --- Had the car for 2 days / according to service manager the TECH was on the phone with Lexus for hours / in the end ... bad alignment settings in the alignment systems computer
New alignment with new setting = much better tracking.

Got the car back ... it is better , a whole lot better but it still drifts ever so slightly. Of course that may be just me being extra critical.
Old 12-08-05, 09:18 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default me too - and braking issue

Originally Posted by izzyracer
My car tracks straight even on high speeds. But it seem like my Steering wheel is about 2 to 5 degress off to the left. Is this an alignment issue? Do any other IS owners have this situation?
i had them check it and they said the tire pressure was low on one side. the car tracks straight like you say, but i swear that the wheel is STILL a couple of degrees to the left. i think they just dont want to fix it. i'll get them at 5k miles though. ALSO, when i brake, sometimes the car pulls to one side, kinda hard at times. anyone have that problem, or an explantion?
Old 12-15-05, 05:13 PM
BimmerFL
Driver School Candidate

don't feel to bad I have a 2005 BMW 330i and My steering wheel is off to the left about 3 or 2 degrees to the left. I have had it checked and have been told the same thing that its normal due to most of these cars being very sensitive to road crowns, which means that most roads here in orlando FL when driving down the road the lanes are higher from the left to the right even though it is not very noticable. now when i switch to some other lanes that the crown is the opposite with the crown being higher from the right to the left the steering seems of center to the right about 2 to 3 degrees also. but this is not the case very often since most crowns go down from the left to the right. does my car track straight with the wheel being off center? YES. the new IS models are designed to be close to what BMW has designed on the E46 model 3 series. now if your steering were 10 degrees of to any side and or if it pulls then it is an alignment issue. but for a few degrees of centered don't worry to much about it, performance cars have this a lot espically with lower profile tires.
Old 12-16-05, 11:39 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I<3MyIS350
I have a wheel alignment problem and I was wondering if the dealer will fix it for free, since it is kinda like a factory defect?
if you only have this for few days or few miles, take it back to them they should fix it. i had bimmer before and the day i drove the car home the steering wheel was tilted. i brought it back and they fix it.

but if you wait and they won't do it.

alignment is not factory defect. it's adjustable. if you hit something your alignment will go off.

i full day of race at race track your alignment will go off.

hope this help
Old 12-16-05, 02:19 PM
BimmerFL
Driver School Candidate

ya but 2 to 3 degrees is not a big deal esp if it doesn't pull.
Old 12-17-05, 01:48 PM
BimmerFL
Driver School Candidate

Ok I have a Buddy of mine that works at an alignment shop that I was talking to about the few degrees off on the steering wheel to go straight. he said that is BS. he put my car up on the alignment rack and had me sit in my own car. as soon as he raised up the car and unbolted the front end tierods he told me to center the wheel where i wanted the car to go straight. my steering wheel used to be towards the left a few degrees to go straight. so i centered my steering wheel to the right a few degrees. as soon as i told him i centered it he bolted everything back down. as soon as i drove my car away from the shop Guess what, My car now steers down every road with my steering of to the right a few degrees exactly like i set it. Now it is confirmed that it does not matter about road angles and crowns. as long as the car is going straight they should be able to center the steering wheel perfectly centered or of to the left or right where you want it to be when driving down a straight road. PS try to find a alignment shop that will align your cars with you sitting in the drivers set , that way the car will be aligned with your exact weigh as if you were driving it and make sure you have a full tank of gas. I hope this helps everyone.
Old 12-17-05, 02:35 PM
swixo
Driver School Candidate

My NEW IS 250 had this alignment problem. The dealership would not return it to me until it was fixed, although only partially. Here are the details.

It tracks to the right. On the freeway, let go of steering and it starts to exit. Steering wheel is also not centered when straight ahead. (BTW fixing the steering wheel is a trivial adjustment for any car).

The dealership after looking at the issue confirmed it and found a service bulletin explaining that this problem can usually be resolved with new tires - and in some cases a part needs to be replaced -- but that this part is not available for the IS yet. The part adds adjustment to the alignment where it is not adjustable now.

The new tires worked, and my dealership (Lexus Stevens Creek) is ordering the adjustment part and will have it for me if I need it. They corrected the steering wheel off center problem too. The car performs very well now. All of this under warranty of course.

s
Old 12-17-05, 11:26 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by roadrocket
I had alignment problems with my 350 that caused the vehicle to drift to the right, I asked lexus to check it out and they said they fixed the problem, well they didn't and I took it back again and then again! it took seven (7) !!!! Visits to the dealer to get it fixed, they ended up swaping out all four dunlops for micheline pilots, the problem is fixed but now the steering wheel isnt centered, but they have had the car WAY to long for me to take it back for that, they ended up putting over 150 miles "road testing" the car before they fixed the problem. Im glad that they were as diligent as they were in fixing the problem, I just didn't know that when I bought the car that I would be sponsoring a test mule! My car wasn't the only 350 in for alignment problems either, I think they may have a more serious technical problem on there hands? factory specs may need to be revised.
Strange, I wonder if this "pulling to the right" issue is common among the 350? I took my 350 into the dealership today for the EXACT same problem. They had it for a few hours and said that the left rear wheel as well as both my front wheels had the toe setting off. They've set it correctly and supposedly it's fixed. I couldn't really tell because it started snowing here on the way back to the dealership. Once the snow melts I'm going to see if it made a difference.

From what I've read here, it might be the summer tires that come with the 350 that could be the issue. If so, I'm not that worried because I was planning to get all-seasons in the next few weeks anyway.

I really hope this alignment isn't a big issue. The main reason I gave up my Nissan 350Z was because of chronic alignment problems
Old 12-18-05, 04:25 PM
IS350PSK
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with the car pulling to the right. So I took it into Pohanka Lexus in VA this afternoon. They told me that I will be needing new tires and an alignment. Im hoping that this fixs the problem. Also it is covered by Lexus, so I guess I will have to just wait and see till tomorrow.

Got a ES 330 as a loaner, was hoping for a GS.
Old 12-19-05, 08:38 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I tried it today now that the snow has melted off the roads. Unfortunately the pull is still kinda there. It's not nearly as bad as it was before, but I still notice it.

I'm going to wait a few more weeks and if gets worse or still bugs me, I'm going to take it into the dealership. I'm just puzzled as to why Kuni Lexus in Littleton never mentioned getting new tires for me, because it seems like that's been the solution for most of everyone else's problem.
Old 12-19-05, 01:36 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have just looked it up earlier... but:

ST004-01 - Vehicle pulling to one side
Updated 10/5/05 to include ALL 2003-2006 MY vehicles.
Covered 12 Months/20,000 miles from date of first use.
*Warranty application is limited to correction of problem based on a customer's specific complaint*

Basically, if you complain about it, they will check it out. If the problem is duplicated, they will cross rotate tires/align/possible replace tires if they are causing the pull. Not ALL vehicles are affected, but it is a possibility.

No other SSC/TSBs are found at this time (besides internal/PDI stuff).