IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Hit or Skip
Hit
51.33%
Skip
48.67%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Hit or Skip?: Kinesis K59 (pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 07:27 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit or Skip?: Kinesis K59 (pic included)

These wheels are a three piece forged lightweight wheel. The rim sections are spun by computer operated,numerically controlled machines over tooling mandrels specifically designed for each rim size.

Each wheel is assembled by hand with forty aircraft quality bolts which are torqued by hand. All wheels are then checked for run out and concentricity on a test stand before being sealed and shipped.

The standard finish is shot peened and anodized and the outer lip is polished.

I think they are gorgeous, but they are also expensive. I think it would look awesome on my SGM IS350. Thoughts?

Old 12-03-05, 07:36 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're nice....Love the lips
Old 12-03-05, 07:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I hear, it's the best quality wheel out there. Even better than HRE. I don't know about all that, just something I've read on other sites....more than once.
Certainly has the right look. If you can handle the price, go for it.
Old 12-03-05, 08:11 AM
dennis250
Driver

IF you can afford them, by all means get them. They're hot. And they have lip. A wheel without lip is like a donut without a hole.
Old 12-03-05, 08:31 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across these in CL vendor marketplace. I think they look nice. I want some 20's thou. They have 20x8.5/9.5 +45offset, 3 inches lips too. They'll fit in our car perfectly with 245/30/20 F and 275/30/20 R.

JAZ TRINITY

Last edited by tim817; 12-03-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-03-05, 08:36 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

reminds me of the iforged Aeros. theres a set for sale in the classifieds. either way those are clean lookin wheels. hurry up and get them so we can see the pics.
Old 12-03-05, 10:28 AM
shox
Pole Position

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the bolts around the lip. Not my thing
Old 12-03-05, 10:59 AM
pita2go
Driver

hit...
Old 12-03-05, 02:27 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reggiek
From what I hear, it's the best quality wheel out there. Even better than HRE. I don't know about all that, just something I've read on other sites....more than once.
Certainly has the right look. If you can handle the price, go for it.
they are better than HRE quality-wise. recently HRE has has some build quality issues and people arent happy about it... if you do a little search you will hear rumblings about HRE not living up their standards

yes, the Kinesis wheels are awesome, and I think I am going to get them when my car gets delivered in Jan... I just need to sell my Kahn RSS wheels first (from my Audi S4)

Does anybody have any ideas as to where I could get a somewhat decent deal on Kinesis? A set of 4 of these cost ~$4400. If I could get them for high 3s or lower 4s I would be pretty happy
Old 12-03-05, 02:28 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shox
I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the bolts around the lip. Not my thing
Im generally not a big fan of rivets but I would make an exception in this case...
Old 12-03-05, 06:25 PM
pita2go
Driver

just remember to get tires with a lip to protect from curbage...
Old 12-03-05, 10:21 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Kinesis wheels are Super High End wheels used for road racing. The K59 is one sweet wheel. A good friend had those on his Supra back in the days. He drove on them everyday and tracked on weekends. Not to mention he lives in Chicago with their extreme pot holes, the K59 were cherry.

Expensive? Yes, but you know u will get quality for what ur paying.

-s-
Old 12-04-05, 07:39 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
they are better than HRE quality-wise. recently HRE has has some build quality issues and people arent happy about it... if you do a little search you will hear rumblings about HRE not living up their standards

yes, the Kinesis wheels are awesome, and I think I am going to get them when my car gets delivered in Jan... I just need to sell my Kahn RSS wheels first (from my Audi S4)

Does anybody have any ideas as to where I could get a somewhat decent deal on Kinesis? A set of 4 of these cost ~$4400. If I could get them for high 3s or lower 4s I would be pretty happy
I heard about some problems racers were having with HRE. I guess thats what happens when mass production becomes more important than specialization. HRE's originally catered to racers, now it seems they are shifting to getting rich.

Those Kinesis are only $4400? I thought they were more expensive than HRE. Definitely in the big leagues, though.
Old 12-04-05, 07:50 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I'm going to say go for it. I've always been a fan of the classic 5 spoke. IMO you can't go wrong
Old 12-04-05, 05:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy

This is incorrect information. A while back, there was some bad publicity about a wheel that broke. If you read the various threads, it was in fact a Kinesis 5-spoke wheel that broke, not an HRE. That's not to say an HRE wheel has never had an issue, but ANY wheel can break given the wrong conditions.

I've personally spoken to Peter Stacy (the owner of Kinesis) about the fatigue failures they had, and they have traced and rectified the problem. Bottom line: you'll never break a newer Kinesis or HRE wheel by driving it on the street (but the rims can be bent, as with any wheel).

One further thought: I would stay away from the anodized finish for a street car. Anodizing is not UV (UltraViolet=sun) resistant, nor it is colorfast when certain cleaners are used on it. They WILL fade and change color after a while. Don't use and harsh chemical cleaners on the anodized finish (many carwashes use harsh wheel cleaners); the finish can become etched and stained easily if improper chemicals are used.

End of the day, I like the K58R, especially on a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Hit or Skip?: Kinesis K59 (pic included)