IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

has anyone purchased extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 12:03 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone purchased extended warranty?

Hi everyone, I don't have an IS yet, I'm waiting until next year since they don't have sports pkg here yet. Anyways, was any of you offered extended warranty? i heared they wanted about $1500 more for 7yr/100,000 miles. I've nver owned a lexus, but i know they're very high quality. I currently own a 95 BMW M3 and although it's a blast to drive, it has whole bunch of reliability issues. Also, the IS is a brand new car (new design), do you guys recommend getting extended warranty? or is that a waste of money? With all these new technology in the car, I'm just afraid that there will be more things to break later on!
Someone in the forum mentioned about the new BMW's 4 year maintenance all covered, IMO that's just marketing gimmick. Although they claim that, they also changed the time when certain things should be replaced. Remember before, they said to change oil every 3 thousand miles? well, now it's pushed back to something like 10K b/c of synthetic oil. but a lot of the stuff are recommended to be replaced AFTER the 4 years free maintenance period. So it's not what it seems. just my $.02
Old 12-04-05, 03:35 PM
United #10
Pole Position

I did. I paid $1,575 for 6yr/100,000.
Old 12-04-05, 03:44 PM
nois3504me
Rookie

Hi Chubbymike,

in my experience, i dont think you need to. my family have owned toyotas for about 6 years and have not had to take any of them in to the dealership for any type of repairs. we currently own. 2004 corolla, 2005 Toyota Tacoma, 2005 Scion Xb, 2006 Lexus IS350, 2004 Honda Accord. previous vehicles were 1999 Lexus GS300, 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 2002 Toyota Tacoma prerunner 4 door, 1996 Toyota Tercel(used). Before this we use to buy General Motor cars. god the GM stuff are a pos!
I had a 1996 Chevy Tahoe that broke down after only having 30 miles on it. check engine light came on and ran really rough. had to have it towed back to dealer cause it was so bad. took them a month and a half to fix it. I've owned other gm cars with irritating problems. I cant say anything about other cars like BMW, or Mercedes since ive never owned one. BTW i could have gotten a 2006 Corvette for the price i paid for my IS 350. but it was a no brainer for me
Old 12-04-05, 03:45 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chubbymike
Hi everyone, I don't have an IS yet, I'm waiting until next year since they don't have sports pkg here yet. Anyways, was any of you offered extended warranty? i heared they wanted about $1500 more for 7yr/100,000 miles. I've nver owned a lexus, but i know they're very high quality. I currently own a 95 BMW M3 and although it's a blast to drive, it has whole bunch of reliability issues. Also, the IS is a brand new car (new design), do you guys recommend getting extended warranty? or is that a waste of money? With all these new technology in the car, I'm just afraid that there will be more things to break later on!
Someone in the forum mentioned about the new BMW's 4 year maintenance all covered, IMO that's just marketing gimmick. Although they claim that, they also changed the time when certain things should be replaced. Remember before, they said to change oil every 3 thousand miles? well, now it's pushed back to something like 10K b/c of synthetic oil. but a lot of the stuff are recommended to be replaced AFTER the 4 years free maintenance period. So it's not what it seems. just my $.02
trust me its worth every single dime. this could possibly save u 6000 and a new motor. suspention parts or anything that goes wrong after 4/50
Old 12-04-05, 04:13 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
trust me its worth every single dime. this could possibly save u 6000 and a new motor. suspention parts or anything that goes wrong after 4/50
They are generally a waste of money in my experience, especially with the already stellar quality of Toyota/Lexus vehicles.. Plus, koolaidman, powertrain is already covered 6/70k
Old 12-04-05, 06:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before my car accrues 12,000 miles on it, my insurance company GEICO has something called Mechanical Breakdown Insurance or MBI. For like $80/year, it basically will extend the manufacturer's warranty to 100,000....same terms.

I used it once before on my previous vehicle with a claim. Pay the $200 deductable and get some expensive part repaired at 80,000 miles on the odometer, no problem.
Old 12-04-05, 06:43 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by United #10
I did. I paid $1,575 for 6yr/100,000.
What does this cover?? I heard that there are different types of extended warranties. Is this bumper to bumper? So say anything that break in the car, interior, mechanical, electrical, emissions, etc. They still cover it?? What is your deductable if you take your car in??
Old 12-04-05, 09:20 PM
United #10
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
What does this cover?? I heard that there are different types of extended warranties. Is this bumper to bumper? So say anything that break in the car, interior, mechanical, electrical, emissions, etc. They still cover it?? What is your deductable if you take your car in??
This is a Lexus Platinum warranty. It covers all original patrs installed by manufacturer. (of course no including rotors, tires etc.) $0 deductible
Old 12-05-05, 07:07 PM
bigperm
Driver School Candidate

I payed around 1200 for the 6 year 100,000 mile, it just doesn't make sense to spend so much money on so much of a car and not have some sort of protection from what you can't control.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-06-05, 09:58 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

interesting but you do not have to buy the extended warranty until 6 months before the factory warranty will expire. That way you don't pay for something you might not need. Say the car is totalled or sold for some other reason.
Old 12-06-05, 10:13 AM
emissivity

$1500 is pretty good for 6yr/100k considering the IS350 is a first release model. I know Toyota/Lexus has a great track record in reliability, but $1500 is a small price to pay. I'm going to buy it when I pick up my IS in Feb.

On the otherhand if you plan to add aftermarket parts and electronic gizmos to the car then you will void the warranty.
Old 12-06-05, 10:45 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

interesting but you do not have to buy the extended warranty until 6 months before the factory warranty will expire. That way you don't pay for something you might not need. Say the car is totalled or sold for some other reason.
Old 12-06-05, 11:26 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Would getting aftermarket tints on the car void the warranty?
Old 12-06-05, 06:25 PM
emissivity

Originally Posted by brewkp4
Would getting aftermarket tints on the car void the warranty?
An example... if the tint ended up peeling off while rolling down the windows and caused it to malfunction/jam and burned out the window motor, then yes it would void it.

Another example is adding HIDs. Someone hooks it up wrong or it's defective and destroys the car's electronics...then yes it would void the warranty.

Pearl85 - Yes waiting after the initial 6-month factory warrant and then getting the ext war. is a good idea.
Old 12-06-05, 06:42 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Before my car accrues 12,000 miles on it, my insurance company GEICO has something called Mechanical Breakdown Insurance or MBI. For like $80/year, it basically will extend the manufacturer's warranty to 100,000....same terms.

I used it once before on my previous vehicle with a claim. Pay the $200 deductable and get some expensive part repaired at 80,000 miles on the odometer, no problem.
Pretty close on this but I'll fix where I can... I was an agent with GEICO for about 7 years....

Mechanical Breakdown is a 7 year 100,000 mile insurance policy on the vehicle... it's a stated exclusion policy, so where a dealer warranty will show you what it covers and if it's not on the list it's not covered, the MBI policy is the opposite... from the last info I have on it from when i left GEICO it excludes

Standard Wear/Tear Items
Rust
Intentional Abuse

For all you manual transmission IS250 people this means that your clutch is covered (yes I know that for a fact) and you will be hard pressed to find that in many other warranty contracts.

The deductible is $250, and as a heads up many insurance companies go to Auto-X events, car shows, drift competitions, street races, troll message boards, etc. and look for their policyholder's cars. If they can find any evidence that you've used your car to race either legally or illegally they will likely deny the claim. I've seen Subaru WRX and Mitsu Evo warranties being voided in a similar manner...

Quick Reply: has anyone purchased extended warranty?