IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

vs. BMW 330i (yes, again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 08:01 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

For those worried about VDIM, you can quickly disable it when you start the car if your in the mood for having some fun.

1. Start the car with parking brake on
2. While p. brake is on, pump brakes twice and hold
3. Pump the parking brake twice and hold
4. Pump the brakes twice more and the VDIM system is disable for full control.

I've tried it and it works every time
Old 12-05-05, 08:26 AM
Penforhire
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One response to someone a page back, the IS350 seat is a noticeably more comfortable for a big fellow like me. The seats are softer and wider, versus both the regular and Sport-optioned 330i (sat in both, drove the regular). I wouldn't say the BMW was uncomfortable but it suffers by comparison to the Lexus.

As far as I can tell the 330i absolutely requires you to place the key fob in the dash. Now I believe one BMW advantage is in the memory system. It will adjust the a/c to each driver's temperature preference, including mode and zones. I don't recall the IS doing that. Am I wrong?

Yeah, I saw that disabling is an option and maybe I need to consider that. Interior design, heck even exterior, is just a taste thing so it doesn't make much sense to knock either car for that. I hadn't spent any time in the last generation 3 so to my eye the 330i interior is okay. You know, I'm coming from a Chevy so anything is a big step up.

I believe there is a magazine-writer bias toward BMW's in general. And you can't believe everything you read.

For the guy who likes i-Drive, why? What advantage do you see over the Lexus system? I was up-and-running in the Lexus much faster and the voice commands worked. I am a little wary of touchscreens (use 'em at work and they all wear out) but overall, in a 10 minute evaluation, I did like the Lexus control system better.
Old 12-05-05, 08:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Penforhire
As far as I can tell the 330i absolutely requires you to place the key fob in the dash. Now I believe one BMW advantage is in the memory system. It will adjust the a/c to each driver's temperature preference, including mode and zones. I don't recall the IS doing that. Am I wrong?
I don't have an IS but I'm 100% positive that the IS can do this too. It's just that the steps it takes to set it up aren't that obvious and it's best to refer to the owner's manual on this one.
Old 12-05-05, 08:54 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I personally don't see a lot of value in including the climate setting in the memory system--most people just leave it in Auto. Plus, even if there's only one driver, he is likely to change the temp setting from time to time; it'd be too much of a hassel to reset the memory every time the temp is changed. Technology is a good thing, but sometimes too much of it can be bad (think iDrive). And having keyless entry with push button start, but requiring the key fob in the slot would be another perfect example. Lexus's Smart Access and Keyless Start, on the other hand, are quite convenient--I never have to take the key/fob out of my pocket. Think of all the tense moments in horror films when the victim fumbles with the keys and couldn't get into or start the car--this changes everything.
Old 12-05-05, 09:58 AM
cooney
Rookie

I just went from an older (E36) M3 to the IS350. .I like the IS a lot, but it does drive differently. .Factors include:
  • M3 was more agile, perhaps because it weighed a lot less than the IS (but the 330i is bulked up a lot from the E36 version of 11 years ago)
  • there's more body roll in the IS -- I don't have the sport package, but intend to put on coilovers when they become available (Tein seems to be the most praised brand for Lexus, and one shop I spoke with recommended the Tein FLEX over their CS)
  • tires -- I think the Michelin Pilot Sport tires on the M3 are better than the Dunlops that come with the IS, but that's easy to fix which should improve handling and braking
  • steering feel is lighter and seems not as precise on the IS -- not sure why and doubt there's much to be done about this, nor am I convinced that there is a substantive difference in steering control
  • going from a manual to the automatic transmission on the IS is taking some getting used to for me -- if I back off on the throttle, the RPMs drop, so I need to spool it up again, which delays response and makes for sometimes jerky acceleration -- I'm trying to learn to keep light pressure on the throttle at all times, so the engine revs better match the speed of the car
  • OTOH, the automatic transmission, esp. in the "Power" mode, seems to be pretty good at picking the appropriate gear and holding it -- I don't use the paddles very much
  • I can't speak to the effect of the stability control system, as I'm still in the first 1000 km break-in period -- the BMW was made way before such things existed, but I never felt I was in trouble for not having them, even on some pretty quick runs on the ACH
These differences are not huge. .And will be made smaller with suspension mods and replacing the tires and probably the wheels (I didn't notice until after I got the car that the IS comes with painted steel wheels).

And I do look forward to having a vehicle that spends a lot less time in the shop.
Old 12-05-05, 10:15 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Went through this a while back shopping for new car for wife.

Picked 330i over IS350 (cost was much lower due to ED, BMWCCA rebate, and free maint.).

330i Sports handled much better than IS350. Less body roll and much better steering response. The brakes also feels more linear than IS350. Wife and I were very impressed by driving dynamic of 330i.

IS350 was a huge dissappointment for both wife and i. Steering was way overboosted. Suspension is too soft. The car has too much power for its chassis, steering, and suspension. Room is too tight. Overall, just a totally confused car. My wife totally dropped IS from consideration after test driving citing total lack of confidence in driving the IS350.

I-drive- I really like I-drive. Its very easy to use and you never have to take eyes off the road. Plus with I-drive you get voice control with it on the E90. The BMW voice control is by far the best out there.
Old 12-05-05, 11:53 AM
cooney
Rookie

I respect your decision and your opinions about all this, except:
Originally Posted by chiawei
The car has too much power for its chassis, steering, and suspension.
While there are some cars out there about which such statements can be rightfully made (the early Dodge Vipers come to mind), this sounds more than a bit defensive in support of the 330i over the IS350.

The IS350 has a lot of power, probably more than it needs to have, but too much, no way!
Old 12-05-05, 11:55 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I-drive- I really like I-drive. Its very easy to use and you never have to take eyes off the road. Plus with I-drive you get voice control with it on the E90. The BMW voice control is by far the best out there.
How do you not have to take your eyes off the road to use the iDrive? I would think the iDrive would make operating the controls more dangerous, since you have to go through layers of menu after menu to get to the option that you want. On the Lexus, the touch screen will get you where you need in just a couple touches, so you are distracted for less time.

Originally Posted by Agni88
And about the iDrive, it takes some getting used to, but it is the most intuitive system out there and one of the least distratcing. Allthough many people hated it at first, after getting used to it they are realizing that it is a great system, many car companies like infiniti, acura, mercedes and audi are copying the iDrive concept.
Why do people keep saying that other manufacturers are copying the iDrive? The Audi I test drove was one system that people say is an iDrive knockoff, but it was pretty different. Aside from a **** thing, it also has several buttons. What systems specifically are supposed to be based on the iDrive? Have you tried them, and are they really that similar? Based on the terrible reviews iDrive has gotten from almost all publications, I would think other companies would NOT be copying it. BMW is the benchmark, there's no doubt about it, but this is an area where other companies can differentiate themselves from the market leader in a positive way. Copying the iDrive would be marketing suicide!

Last edited by diablo1; 12-05-05 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 12:18 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

"IS350 has too much power for its chassis?" LOL, how about 330i has too little power for its chassis. I laugh when BMW owners get defensive and say that it's no big deal for IS350 to have power becausee Toyota resorted to a larger engine, while 330 uses ONLY 3 liters. Well, that's 87.4 hp/l for the IS and 85 hp/l for the 330i--who's got more technology. They also say wait till 330 becomes 350i or M3 ("my big brother is gonna beat you up!"). More power IS more power, doesn't matter how you get it (Corvettes have 5.7 L, and Viper even larger--and they can just about match the Italian and German sports cars in acceleration, at a fraction of the price).
Old 12-05-05, 12:21 PM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I don't have an IS but I'm 100% positive that the IS can do this too. It's just that the steps it takes to set it up aren't that obvious and it's best to refer to the owner's manual on this one.
I have an IS350 with the memory system. The only things it stores are your seat, steering wheel and side mirror adjustments -- none of the nav-panel settings (climate, radio preferences, Bluetooth phone selection, etc) are controlled by the memory system, as it was designed to be a standalone package with or without cars that include nav. (As far as I know, the only IS option that is actually integrated into the nav system is the Mark Levinson audio package -- and the ML+NAV option is actually a single option that is distinct from both the ML and the NAV options.)

Also, despite what every salesman told me while I was shopping for the car, the IS *does* allow you to link your smart key to a memory profile -- it's just not immediately obvious unless you read the manual. Once you configure the link, the car will set that profile anytime the linked key is used to unlock the driver's door, either by pushing the remote button or touching the handle.

For the OP -- I wrestled long and hard with the same decision you're making, and in the end, the IS350 won out over the 330i for the simple and practical reason that I'm not a kid anymore. I can enjoy the performance of a great car, but for day to day driving, even in winding mountain roads, the Lexus just offers a smoother, more comfortable ride. And the electronics package is far and away better than the abomination that is iDrive. (The salesman at the BMW dealership actually bragged about how many submenus there were. Guess he's never driven on a freeway with distracted maniacs scrolling through their cell phone options at 90mph.)

My personal opinion, having played with both cars a fair bit, is that the only people who will consistently engage VDIM on public roads are those who shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place. The system is pretty damn forgiving unless you're really throwing the car around in ways that are seriously dangerous to everyone around you -- it will even let you do some drifting if you're gentle on the approach. And for days on the track, you can always disable it, in any case. But I'd rather have to consciously deactivate it than skid out in an accident wishing I had it.

Just my two bits, for whatever they're worth.

Last edited by Cypren; 12-05-05 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Oops. Forgot the memory system stores mirror settings too. Guess my "memory" isn't working too well.
Old 12-05-05, 01:14 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cooney
I respect your decision and your opinions about all this, except:While there are some cars out there about which such statements can be rightfully made (the early Dodge Vipers come to mind), this sounds more than a bit defensive in support of the 330i over the IS350.

The IS350 has a lot of power, probably more than it needs to have, but too much, no way!
No, I stand by my comment on the IS350. The rest of chassis, steering, and suspension does not measure up to the powertrain. The power is great if you can control the dynamic of the car. But with such a vague steering response and excessive body roll, it is much easier to lose control when power arrives.

The IS350 power is excellent as well as it transmission. But the rest of setup is too far behind that great powertrain.
Old 12-05-05, 01:29 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by diablo1
How do you not have to take your eyes off the road to use the iDrive? I would think the iDrive would make operating the controls more dangerous, since you have to go through layers of menu after menu to get to the option that you want. On the Lexus, the touch screen will get you where you need in just a couple touches, so you are distracted for less time.
No true.

I-drive screen is up on the dash, while the lexus screen is further down. So driver does not have to take eyes when inputing. The I-drive **** is basically used for direction, turn left or right, and click. It's like a mouse. I don't think anyone looks at their mouse when using it.

Touch screen is nice, but you still have sub menu within the menu. Since the screen sits further down, and you have to physically see which button you are using. Therefore it is more of a driver distraction.

The layer of screen and buttons to push between Lexus/BMW are quiet similar.

On lexus/toyota. You choose destination, click on address, enter address.

On BMW you choose navigation, choose new address, enter the address.

The difference is that on BMW system, you simply move the i-drive and you can see all the movement on the screen right next to you instrument, and since I-drive screen sits so high, you can still pay attention to the road. On lexus, you have to move your eye downward and see each button you need to press.

Originally Posted by diablo1
Why do people keep saying that other manufacturers are copying the iDrive? The Audi I test drove was one system that people say is an iDrive knockoff, but it was pretty different. Aside from a **** thing, it also has several buttons. What systems specifically are supposed to be based on the iDrive? Have you tried them, and are they really that similar? Based on the terrible reviews iDrive has gotten from almost all publications, I would think other companies would NOT be copying it. BMW is the benchmark, there's no doubt about it, but this is an area where other companies can differentiate themselves from the market leader in a positive way. Copying the iDrive would be marketing suicide!
The problem with magazine is that they don't spent enough time with I-drive. I-drive is extremely easy to use. The only difference between Audi's MMI, and Mercedes new command is that they have menus build in with buttons, in which BMW does not have buttons for each main category.

I really fail to see why this is a problem. BMW provides a menu button that once pressed will take you back to main screen, and you can use the directional control to select 4 main category, climate, communicaton, navigation, ent. On the MMI, you have buttons for each main category. In other word you are only saving once directional movement.

I-drive concept is excellent, and the design has come a long way since 2002. The I-drive on E60 and E90 are much better than E65.

I have been using I-drive for over a month now on my M5. It is easy to use and really does not distract from driving. Also, I-drive voice recognition is much better than toyota system. It can actually program voice dialing even if you did not program your bluetooth phone for voice dialing. I-drive will search your address book and find the closest match and dial for you. For example, I can say dial steve. It will locate an entry in my address book and dial steve for me, even though I did not program voice dialing for steve on my phone.

Go and play with the I-drive especially the voice recognition ones. You will be suprised on easiness of use.
Old 12-05-05, 02:11 PM
cooney
Rookie

No, I stand by my comment on the IS350. The rest of chassis, steering, and suspension does not measure up to the powertrain. The power is great if you can control the dynamic of the car. But with such a vague steering response and excessive body roll, it is much easier to lose control when power arrives.

The IS350 power is excellent as well as it transmission. But the rest of setup is too far behind that great powertrain.
Sounds like you need a Lexus 3.5 liter engine for your BMW.
Old 12-05-05, 02:28 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

No true.

I-drive screen is up on the dash, while the lexus screen is further down. So driver does not have to take eyes when inputing. The I-drive **** is basically used for direction, turn left or right, and click. It's like a mouse. I don't think anyone looks at their mouse when using it.

Touch screen is nice, but you still have sub menu within the menu. Since the screen sits further down, and you have to physically see which button you are using. Therefore it is more of a driver distraction.

The layer of screen and buttons to push between Lexus/BMW are quiet similar.

On lexus/toyota. You choose destination, click on address, enter address.

On BMW you choose navigation, choose new address, enter the address.

The difference is that on BMW system, you simply move the i-drive and you can see all the movement on the screen right next to you instrument, and since I-drive screen sits so high, you can still pay attention to the road. On lexus, you have to move your eye downward and see each button you need to press.

The problem with magazine is that they don't spent enough time with I-drive. I-drive is extremely easy to use. The only difference between Audi's MMI, and Mercedes new command is that they have menus build in with buttons, in which BMW does not have buttons for each main category.

I really fail to see why this is a problem. BMW provides a menu button that once pressed will take you back to main screen, and you can use the directional control to select 4 main category, climate, communicaton, navigation, ent. On the MMI, you have buttons for each main category. In other word you are only saving once directional movement.

I-drive concept is excellent, and the design has come a long way since 2002. The I-drive on E60 and E90 are much better than E65.

I have been using I-drive for over a month now on my M5. It is easy to use and really does not distract from driving. Also, I-drive voice recognition is much better than toyota system. It can actually program voice dialing even if you did not program your bluetooth phone for voice dialing. I-drive will search your address book and find the closest match and dial for you. For example, I can say dial steve. It will locate an entry in my address book and dial steve for me, even though I did not program voice dialing for steve on my phone.

Go and play with the I-drive especially the voice recognition ones. You will be suprised on easiness of use.
Those car magazine testers must be idiots who don't bother to read the owner's manual. Every long-term/four season review I've read ends the same way--great handling, so-so reliability, and "please get rid of iDrive." I'm glad you find it easy to use; but keep in mind you've got a greatly simplified version of the beast BMW created in the 7 series, which has also received the revised, and more user-friendly setup due to poor reception from owners.
Old 12-05-05, 02:30 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

The whole idea of the iDrive is controlling everything with a single ****. No buttons or touch screens. So saying that "the Audi system is the same except it has buttons" isn't really saying that much IMO. I can see how the iDrive would be useful for navigating menus - it's like a mouse, like you said. But there are some times when it really just makes more sense to have dedicated buttons. Radio presets come to mind, for example. That's why I think the iDrive isn't a great idea. Sure, there are some things you need to fish around in menus to find. But some things should just be available with the push of a button.

Last edited by diablo1; 12-05-05 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: vs. BMW 330i (yes, again)