AT vs. MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 10:52 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb AT vs. MT

What should I get?

Driving Automatic verses driving stick shift has always been a dilemma but in the past was really an easy choice for anyone that had the skill and ability to drive a manual. Since it was superior in almost every way imaginable:

Manual Transmission: Traditionally...

Faster: More HP to the wheels (less eaten up by the tranny) Faster launches, etc.
Control: Shifts when you want it to...never in the middle of a turn.
Cheaper: $1,000-$2,000 less than the automatic option.
Maintenance: Manuals have less parts to break and are cheaper to fix when they do.
Extra Gears: 5 or 6 gears
Better Gas mileage: For various reasons including being in neutral when not moving.
More fun to drive: More driver input equals more fun.
Driver Prestige: Men, and especially Women that drive a stick often get kudos for having a skill that many people lack, not to mention that if there is a situation where you need to drive someone else’s car you actually can.

But, recent trends are showing that automatics are catching up and will soon be the rational choice…and market research shows that it is unprofitable for a lot of manufacture’s to offer a manual option which means that there may soon, not be a choice at all.

So as for the IS, its a hard call!

Automatic Transmission:

Speed: The IS350 doesn't come with a manual so if I want speed, I need to get an AT.
Control: Tiptronic being almost standard on all automatics now, but really only gives driver’s limited control to what gear they’re in (kind of like giving a child a task but making sure each step of the way that he doesn’t mess up) plus the 2 second lag is also standard.
Cost: Should I save the $6,000 a get an Manual?
Maintenance: Manuals will always have less parts to break and be cheaper to fix, period.
Number of Gears: The IS350 comes with a 6spd AT.
Gas Mileage: The Automatic actually gets BETTER milage than the stick!
Driving Fun: Tiptronic is only fun for the first 5 minutes, but with new paddle shifters I can have a little bit of fun when I want and not have to row the boat upstream in traffic.
Driver Prestige: Driving stick is quickly becoming a lost skill and is becoming more and more rare…so driver prestige will continue to grow. And saying that you can drive stick, even though you’ve never actually owned a manual car does not count.

I always thought that I would drive a stick shift car and always have and even now that I drive an LS400 automatic daily, I still have a second car that’s a manual car that I drive on weekends and during my free time.

I am planning to buy the new Lexus IS…but it’s a dilemma. Do I buy the IS350 that has 306hp, paddle shift, and all the options I want available (navigation, wood trim, heated/cooled seats, etc). Or do I save $6,000 and settle for the IS250 so I can get a 6spd manual, and try to special order one with the options I want. It’s a hard call but I am happy that it still a choice that I have available to make.

Can I even order the IS250 Manual with the Luxury Package and Navigation?
Old 12-05-05, 11:05 AM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caffeine

Yep. I am still debating on ordering a MT with sport and nav. If i could get the is350 with MT I would have already special ordered or bought it.

I honestly despise driving a sporty car that is an automatic. I guess I just do not find them fun without a clutch pedal.

Luxury and lack of driver involvement = Automatic.

Sporty and enjoyable = Manual transmission.
Old 12-05-05, 11:14 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stick or Auto?

Originally, we were going to get an IS250 with manual 6 speed, because my wife also felt the same way about driving a car with manual trans. We ended up getting an IS350 and she does not miss the manual trans at all now. She even wants to keep the car after the lease is over.
Here is a pic of her car......
Old 12-05-05, 12:14 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you answered your own question. You have more pros in manual than auto.
Old 12-05-05, 12:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

And what control do you lose with AT again? And 2 seconds lag? It seems to me you didnt drive the car yet :-).
Old 12-05-05, 12:40 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Actually the manual is250 isnt faster than the auto is250.
Old 12-05-05, 12:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I always prefer manual in a sporty car, but I'd still get an IS350 with auto over an IS250 manual, the big difference in power more than make up for it IMO, if price not an issue.
Old 12-05-05, 12:49 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

I have been owning and driving stick cars for the past 13 years. I really like it for its sportiness and, as mentioned by Caffeine, its "prestige". However, with the following 4 reasons, I'm giving it up when I get my next car (probably an IS). The reasons are: heavier peak-hour traffic (someone else can have all the "prestige" when comes traffic jam), more usage of cell phone while driving (if I don't get the Bluetooth option), the need to sip my coffee every 5 minutes, and last but not least important, the instinct to hold my girlfriend's hand with my right hand while driving... Yes, I know.. DUH!!!!
Old 12-05-05, 12:56 PM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by caffeine
Yes, you can. My dealer has already placed the special order for an IS250 6MT with luxury package, navi/ML, and 17" wheels.
Old 12-05-05, 01:21 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by paeko73
and last but not least important, the instinct to hold my girlfriend's hand with my right hand while driving... Yes, I know.. DUH!!!!
haha don't we all know how that is like...

and...tough call on the MT. I would personally say, if price is not a problem, go with the 350 because of the extra speed and power- it will def make you quickly forget about the perks of driving a MT....just my opinion...

Last edited by brewkp4; 12-05-05 at 01:24 PM. Reason: want to add one more thing
Old 12-05-05, 01:25 PM
pita2go
Driver

actually that is one of the things.. i am giving up driving stick.. my mom doesn't like me driving stick at all.. she is strictly against it.. so i am getting an auto.. which kind of bites.. i mean why can't we get some DSM auto like audi
Old 12-05-05, 05:11 PM
caffeine
Rookie

You just made my decision 10x harder. Its cool that Lexus lets you get the 250 with all of the options of the bigger engined car. Although I do wish they would have given us the MT option as well.

Originally Posted by vwong
Yes, you can. My dealer has already placed the special order for an IS250 6MT with luxury package, navi/ML, and 17" wheels.
Old 12-05-05, 06:12 PM
jeffyee123
Rookie

have you driven the 350, compared to the 250? the 350 in an auto is still far superior, IMHO. If you were comparing a 250 mt to a 250 at, then I'd see more of a pull for the mt, but if you can afford the 350, you can't go wrong.
Old 12-06-05, 09:31 AM
caffeine
Rookie

After looking at the MPG ratings I've decided to just go with the IS350. I would kick myself in the butt everytime I filled up if I was getting the same mileage in a car with 100 less hp just so I could drive the manual....I guess technology has gotten so advanced that manuals no longer get better mileage than ATs...or at least in this case.

IS250 AT
24 mpg city/32 mpg highway

IS250 MT
20 mpg/29 mpg highway

IS350 AT
21 mpg city/28 mpg highway
Old 12-06-05, 09:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Good decision

Quick Reply: AT vs. MT