IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why buy the IS over the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 01:22 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Mercedes & Chrysler are now divisions/subdivisions of a larger corporate entity - Daimler Chrysler, so I guess a Mercedes is a Chrysler & a Chrysler is a Mercedes ?

Same for Ford with Aston Martin & Jaguar etc ,etc. . . .
Daimler Chrysler came about because of a merger. Hardly the same thing.
Old 12-17-05, 01:27 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Ah, nevermind, if it's made by Toyota, it's a good thing.
Yes it is a good thing. Again, whatever makes you feel better about your car. I'm done with the Lexus isn't a Toyota discussion because it is.
Old 12-17-05, 01:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

It' doesn't matter whether it's a merger or not , it's under the same corporate entity, & you know the 300c is based on the old E class right ? I still won't call it a Mercedes . Plus it's already been announced that Chrysler & Mercedes will share more parts too,but even then they are still two different brands, by the same corporation.
Old 12-17-05, 01:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
Yes it is a good thing. Again, whatever makes you feel better about your car. I
I don't feel better about my car because it's called a Lexus, if I care about the name, I would be driving a Mercedes already.
Old 12-17-05, 02:58 PM
LexFather

Yes it is a good thing. Again, whatever makes you feel better about your car. I'm done with the Lexus isn't a Toyota discussion because it is.
You are so mistaken. Yes, Lexus is owned by Toyota but they are clearly, FAR from TOyotas. They ahve been a Lexus made to be a Lexus since day 1 in 1989. Only in Japan, were they rebadged as Toyota.

Hell even in 1997, the IS 200 debuted in Europe, while in Toyota it was the Altezza.

Lexus continues to differentiate from Toyota. Different management, style, philosophy, etc.

So its not that anyone feels better calling it a Lexus. It is. And begining this year, there is no more Toyota rebadged cars.

So a Lexus is a Lexus.

Hell VW, owns AUDI and LAMBORGHINI and has shares in PORSCHE. You don't all call them VOLKSWAGONS do u??

Originally Posted by dreamin350
I see that a lot of people state that FWD can not be fun, but in the recent C&D comparo, the TL was the second fastest car (behind the IS350) 0-60, had the fastest lane change and highest skidpad numbers. Not to mention it was the second lightest car in the comparo behind BMW. I am in a similar position on what car to go with. I really really LIKE the TL and can buy it now, but I LOVE the IS350, but can't afford/justify at this time. My decision is to idle until I can afford either and see what improvements follow that gives one the edge. Best of luck to you, but I think there is not a wrong choice with these two cars!

Welcome to CLublexus. Do not confuse speed with sporty. You can get a Chrysler minivan to do a 10 second 1/4 mile, that is not a sporty car.
Old 12-17-05, 03:19 PM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to CLublexus. Do not confuse speed with sporty. You can get a Chrysler minivan to do a 10 second 1/4 mile, that is not a sporty car.
I digress from my previous post in this thread. I made it about an hour before I went to the dealer and tested a 6 speed manual IS 250 (previously I had only driven an automatic).

The IS is clearly sportier than the TL (see my post here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191858)

I am sold on it. Placing an order when I get back from vacation in about a month.
Old 12-17-05, 03:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by fastball
I digress from my previous post in this thread. I made it about an hour before I went to the dealer and tested a 6 speed manual IS 250 (previously I had only driven an automatic).

The IS is clearly sportier than the TL (see my post here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191858)

I am sold on it. Placing an order when I get back from vacation in about a month.
Old 12-17-05, 04:02 PM
brian92873
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastball
And there are twice as many happy and satisfied TL owners on honda-acura.net. I understand no car is perfect.

Also, I am comparing the TL to the IS 250, not the 350 (mainly because you can't get a manual transmission on the 350, and I will not own an automatic). The 350 is more aimed at a BMW 330, where as the TL and IS 250 are aimed at the BMW 325.

I'm not here trying to defend Acura, I just think some of you don't give it the credit it deserves. You take the dealer experience out of the equation (which I always do - so long as I get the car for the right price, I could care less if the dealers are ****** or give me hot cocoa and a back rub every time I have the oil changed) and Lexus vehicles are ahead of Acura, but not by such a wide margin.... they aren't Cadillacs

Seems like some of you are putting Acura in the same boat as Cadillac..... and I think we'd all agree that's not the case.
Fastball, i was responding to the initial thread, posted by unit74, who said he was looking at a 350 and a TL. He asked for an opinion and as a person that spent a year researching the acura TL, I gave it to him. I don't need "cocoa and backrubs" either but it doesn't take long to find some pretty horrible feedback about the overall Acura experience. Some people on that forum are afraid to even have their cars washed by the dealer (a complementary service when you have your car in for servicing) because a lot of the times they come back with swirl marks. Additionally, the TL is stocked with **** tires that everyone complains about for the amount of you pay for it.

I noted on several occassions that the TL is still a fine car and a tremedous value. so relax. If anything, as a person who is looking at a TL i'd take my post as informative. Most people who take the time to read and contribute to these forums do their homework before purchasing a car. I was merely contributing some "facts" i learned about the TL that bothered me. If you're looking for rah rah about acura, visit your closest dearlership. geeesh.
Old 12-18-05, 02:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are so mistaken. Yes, Lexus is owned by Toyota but they are clearly, FAR from TOyotas. They ahve been a Lexus made to be a Lexus since day 1 in 1989. Only in Japan, were they rebadged as Toyota.

Hell even in 1997, the IS 200 debuted in Europe, while in Toyota it was the Altezza.

Lexus continues to differentiate from Toyota. Different management, style, philosophy, etc.

So its not that anyone feels better calling it a Lexus. It is. And begining this year, there is no more Toyota rebadged cars.

So a Lexus is a Lexus.

Hell VW, owns AUDI and LAMBORGHINI and has shares in PORSCHE. You don't all call them VOLKSWAGONS do u??

it's ok, no need for further discussion. he's not going to admit what's happening now anyway. like he said, it's done he probably can't fight you back anyway mike

anyway, this is OT
Old 12-18-05, 10:07 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SoCal gets rain and the drivers here aren't the brightes when it rains. Remember, it's not so much how well you or your wife drives, more-so how the people around you drive. Defensive/evasive maneuvers are a must here on wet roads. Unless you're considering the AWD 250 I'd get the TL for your wife.

Sounds like you're the who has their heart set on the IS. You said your wife prefers the TL and that she will be the primary driver. I trust that both of you have test-driven both vehicles already. So again, yes, in SoCal, knowing how people here drive in the rain I would get the TL for your wife. Now stop being selfish and get your wife what she really wants

One last thing that's worth mentioning again, The back seat in the new IS is worthless for adults; it's just as bad as my 1st gen (the TL has more room in the back). Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase. They're both very good cars.
I don't know how big you are, but I'm 5'11" 180lbs and i can fit decently
in the back seat.. My knees are just barely clearing the back of the front seat,
but saying "its worthless for adutls" is kind of a stretch , don't ya think?