IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The mysterious IS coupe mule- There is hope !

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 07:29 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The mysterious IS coupe mule- There is hope !

I found this informative article on carspyshots.net and more pictures of the supposed IS coupe from different angles. I think this is really going to happen and LEXUS is working on it. Remember the AUTOWEEK article that had one or two pictures and people said they were chops, well there are more photos. And its real, its only a matter of when now. Lexus bring it on please .

At the Geneva Motor Show 2005 Toyota debuted with the replacement for the Lexus IS compact sedan. Now the Japanese car maker is working on a high performance coupe version, according to rumours dubbed IS 500. Most likely it is powered by a 4.3 litre V8 32 valve engine delivery approximately 300 HP. This car is set to become a rival against models like BMW M3 and Mercedes CLK 55 AMG.

Toyota sells a huge range of cars in Japan from small economy models to high-end luxury sedans. But only lately has it introduced the Lexus name in the Japanese home market where even luxury cars have previously carried the Toyota name. As part of the new brand’s introduction, the company is coming out with a wide range of new models over the next few years to carry the Lexus name both at home and abroad. Recent new Lexus models have shown the company’s direction towards high performance while still offering high levels of luxury.

The test vehicle in the photos is an early prototype built using the production body panels of a current Japanese market model, the Toyota Crown Royal. Note that the car has right-hand drive, typical of vehicles sold in Japan. The Crown Royal makes a perfect mule for development of a high-performance model since it already has a V8 engine and offers a choice of rear or all wheel drive, so all these vital powertrain pieces fit easily. Next the body was shortened, bringing it down to the length of its future coupe configuration. Note the section just behind the car’s B-pillar, in which several inches of length were cut out of the rear doors and the roof. Shortening the car’s platform down to the length of the final car allows high-performance driving tests to be done with the car’s correct wheelbase and weight distribution.

Also note the numerous modifications that indicate high-performance nature of the future model, including the quad exhaust pipes, rear deck spoiler and the sporty alloy wheels shod with very low-profile tires.

Old 12-10-05, 08:01 PM
saleem
Pole Position

umm this thread is going down down down. Would someone like to sticky this so people can view it before it disappears. fourty something views and no comments yet .
Old 12-10-05, 08:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the extensive post.

The mule looks ok, reminds me of the old S-class style coupe. I'd love to see the IS coupe with 4x exhausts.
Old 12-10-05, 08:38 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This test mule was spotted half a year ago I believe, but not as many pictures were posted at the time and they were not of such a high resolution, so thanks a lot for these new pictures of this old test mule. And yes there is hope more than ever.
Old 12-10-05, 09:05 PM
saleem
Pole Position

You are all welcome. I love this forum very much its a good place for enthusiasts and I love to share anything I come across that you guys would enjoy. Im very excited to see more pictures of this beast, it is DEFINITELY packing heat judging from those tires the roofline the weird arching tape in towards the back . very exciting.
Old 12-10-05, 09:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
uhhh...can I get those rims??!! Those are pretty nice.

Looking forward to seeing this IS coupe if they ever make it.(just give it a manual in the bigger engine and that would put the biggest smile on my face )
Old 12-11-05, 03:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
uhhh...can I get those rims??!! Those are pretty nice.

Looking forward to seeing this IS coupe if they ever make it.(just give it a manual in the bigger engine and that would put the biggest smile on my face )
Rims look like BBS.
And the IS coupe looks HOT!!!!
Old 12-11-05, 06:04 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

It looks like a chop to me because of the LFA wheels and rear bumper, but it looks pretty nice.
Old 12-11-05, 07:59 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the IS photo is a chop. That's okay, though. The more these rumors continue the more likely we actually will get this car. It will completely blow away any other compact/luxury/sport car out there in terms of success.

LEXUS.....PLEASE BUILD THIS CAR!
Old 12-11-05, 08:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

If they make an IS coupe, I hope they'd give the rear seats at least as much leg room as the sedan . . .
Old 12-11-05, 08:39 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
If they make an IS coupe, I hope they'd give the rear seats at least as much leg room as the sedan . . .
AHA...thats a good one, but something that we should be concerned about. If not for putting people back there at least for storing stuff in back. My guess is it will be smaller, ...lol...the size of a Celica backseat.
Old 12-11-05, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
. . . My guess is it will be smaller, ...lol...the size of a Celica backseat.
I hope not, & it isn't necessary for them to make it shorter.
My G35 coupe actually have pretty good leg room at the back, even for me( I'm 5 ft. 11 ). The problem is the headroom with the sloping roof, which is not good for anybody over about 5 ft. 5. But at least an average size female can be quite comfortable back there.
Old 12-11-05, 10:27 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

that is def an IS350 caliper I see in that mule car

Last edited by Skulinex; 12-11-05 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-11-05, 11:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I hope not, & it isn't necessary for them to make it shorter.
My G35 coupe actually have pretty good leg room at the back, even for me( I'm 5 ft. 11 ). The problem is the headroom with the sloping roof, which is not good for anybody over about 5 ft. 5. But at least an average size female can be quite comfortable back there.
The G35C does have decent rear room but it is smaller than the sedan. Coupe is 182 inches and sedan is 186. Hopefully Lexus doesn't do that with the ISC, the sedan is already too small to reduce the length at 180 inches. They would have to completely delete any rear legroom if they shperten the coupe.
Old 12-11-05, 02:00 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusls430
It looks like a chop to me because of the LFA wheels and rear bumper, but it looks pretty nice.
umm I dont know which LF-A spyshots you have seen. but those wheels a bit different and the tires were even more hardcore.

Quick Reply: The mysterious IS coupe mule- There is hope !