IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brakes or paddle shifters to slow down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05 | 08:28 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Question Brakes or paddle shifters to slow down?

Which is preferred? Also, if you are using the paddle shifters, what rpm should you downshift?

Last edited by Scooter24; 12-10-05 at 08:32 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 12-10-05 | 09:40 PM
erock901
Rookie

I prefer to use the brakes. I figure brakes are cheaper to replace than a transmission. Plus, what I've experienced is if you're going too fast, the paddle-down shift won't happen immediately. The computer will wait until the engine RPM is at a safe speed before the down shift is executed.
Old 12-10-05 | 10:42 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Yeah, I agree. Brakes are definitely cheaper to replace than transmission or clutch (if you're driving a manual). My understanding is that you brake to slow the car down and downshift is to put the car in the right gear to accelerate out of the corner. my reference is "Going Faster" by the Skip Barber Racing School...so i think they know what they're talking about although i only read a few chapters...
Old 12-11-05 | 10:45 AM
mhiggi02
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by erock901
I prefer to use the brakes. I figure brakes are cheaper to replace than a transmission. Plus, what I've experienced is if you're going too fast, the paddle-down shift won't happen immediately. The computer will wait until the engine RPM is at a safe speed before the down shift is executed.
I traded in a 2003 325i on my IS 250. The BMW had a built-in safety feature where it would automatically up shift at red line if in manual mode. Does the IS do the same?
Old 12-11-05 | 11:14 AM
erock901
Rookie

Originally Posted by mhiggi02
I traded in a 2003 325i on my IS 250. The BMW had a built-in safety feature where it would automatically up shift at red line if in manual mode. Does the IS do the same?
I haven't taken it to redline yet...I'm still in "new car" mode. I got pretty close to 6K rpm in 2nd gear one time and it held it until I shifted. Maybe someone who has a fully broken in IS can answer your question.
Old 12-11-05 | 12:53 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mhiggi02
I've taken my to red line quite a few times, and until you up shift, it will just bounce off the rev limiter. So to answer your question, nope.
Old 12-11-05 | 02:22 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
I've taken my to red line quite a few times, and until you up shift, it will just bounce off the rev limiter. So to answer your question, nope.
OK, thanks all.
Old 12-11-05 | 04:29 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by erock901
....Plus, what I've experienced is if you're going too fast, the paddle-down shift won't happen immediately. The computer will wait until the engine RPM is at a safe speed before the down shift is executed.
Ya, i accidentally downshifted when i was suppose to upshift, but it didnt let me downshift and it made a beeping noise
Old 12-11-05 | 09:48 PM
pita2go
Driver

brakes... but on my manual.. it's automatic that i downshift... i don't know..
Old 12-12-05 | 05:33 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scooter24
Which is preferred? Also, if you are using the paddle shifters, what rpm should you downshift?
use the brakes--the only time you should down shift to slow the car is coming down on a long slope to avoid constantly riding on the brakes.
Old 12-12-05 | 06:32 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

One thing that I noticed that's different from other cars while in "S" mode is that the IS250 doesn't downshift (automatically) to 1st gear once stopped if you were in a higher gear. On a lot of Acura cars, this is done automatically so that when you take off, you're in 1st gear again.

Lex
Old 12-12-05 | 07:37 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR LEX
One thing that I noticed that's different from other cars while in "S" mode is that the IS250 doesn't downshift (automatically) to 1st gear once stopped if you were in a higher gear. On a lot of Acura cars, this is done automatically so that when you take off, you're in 1st gear again.

Lex
So If you are in third, and you come to a red light, you must remember to paddle shift down twice into first gear? I would think it would do it automatically once you stop or come close to stopping, even my mom's Volvo does it automatically when in manumatic mode, and that car is 6 years old

I'm interested because my parents are probably heading to the Lexus dealer this weekend to take a good look at an AWD IS250.
Old 12-12-05 | 08:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Guys, slightly OT and I'm not sure if this applies to the IS (hopefully none of you find out, or are in a safe place to test it) but when I used the e-shift in my GS in snow to slow down in snowy / icy conditions, the wheels would sometimes grab / lock up and slide a bit.

Kind of goes contrary to what you'd expect... in my old manual car, I'd use gearing instead of brakes to slow myself down in slick conditions, but the e-shift auto didn't work nearly as effectively.
Old 12-12-05 | 08:13 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR LEX

Lex
it DOES automatically downshift to 1st when you stop--just change the LCD display to current gear and you'll see. The digital display next to "S" merely indicates the highest gear available at the time.
Old 12-12-05 | 04:11 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
it DOES automatically downshift to 1st when you stop--just change the LCD display to current gear and you'll see. The digital display next to "S" merely indicates the highest gear available at the time.
Yeah, what he said....
If you are in sport mode with the gear set at "3" and you come to a stop light, the car will go to first then shift to second but it will not pass third gear until you upshift again. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Brakes or paddle shifters to slow down?