My Homemade Xm Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 07:10 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Homemade Xm Install

Hi Everyone:

I have been without satellite radio for about 3 weeks and it was killing me. The latest on the availability of satellite radio kits for the new IS is anywhere between 1 and 3 months. Even if the kit was available, I really was having a problem justifying the projected $1000 between parts and installation charges.

Anyway, since I had a few Best Buy gift certificates laying around, I decided to get a Roady XT and take advantage of the AUX input available in our cars. Interestingly, a noise filter/ground loop isolator (which I got from Radio Shack) was an absolute must. As you can see, the unit fits snug inside the center console. What I need to get now the remote which is sold separately. Otherwise, I have to continue to manually change stations (which I've programmed using presets 1 through "10"). In any event, here's the final product:
Attached Thumbnails My Homemade Xm Install-dsc01202.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 07:16 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Another Pic

Here's another one with the lid closed.
Attached Thumbnails My Homemade Xm Install-dsc01216.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 07:19 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Aux In Screen On Navi

Here's a pic of the Audio Aux In screen
Attached Thumbnails My Homemade Xm Install-dsc01199.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 09:20 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice! I miss my old XM setup (Pioneer HU with XM box) in my Galant. I have a SkyFi2 unit and an iPod Nano unit which I'm trying to figure out how I want to install it into the center console. How did you deal with the antenna?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-16-05, 07:27 AM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Antenna

Good question. Right now, I still have not figured out where to permanently mount the antenna. Most likely, it will go behind the rear seats, against close to the rear glass. Right now, it's just laying on the rear seat. In fact, I noticed I was able to pick up certain stations Without even connecting the antenna! (It must be close to some repeater).

M-
Old 12-16-05, 10:59 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's cool.
Old 12-16-05, 11:09 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmartinace
Good question. Right now, I still have not figured out where to permanently mount the antenna. Most likely, it will go behind the rear seats, against close to the rear glass. Right now, it's just laying on the rear seat. In fact, I noticed I was able to pick up certain stations Without even connecting the antenna! (It must be close to some repeater).

M-
Cool. I'm in the Seattle area so there are terrestrial repeaters all over the area (my XM in my client's windowless office even works). I'm going to try to do your set-up in the center console, but with a larger SkyFi2 unit. *Crosses Fingers*. Thanks again and nice job!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-16-05, 11:10 AM
Cypren
Driver

What power adapter did you wind up using? It looks like your adapter is at a right angle from the AUX socket so that you can still close the armrest with it in place. I've been looking for a DC power converter that I can use like that to run my MP3 player, but haven't found anything; all the ones I've looked at extend too high.
Old 12-16-05, 11:27 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cypren
What power adapter did you wind up using? It looks like your adapter is at a right angle from the AUX socket so that you can still close the armrest with it in place. I've been looking for a DC power converter that I can use like that to run my MP3 player, but haven't found anything; all the ones I've looked at extend too high.
He has a pivoting Radio Shack adapter that a lot of people have been using for XM and iPod's, etc:

12VDC Accessory 2-Outlet Adapter
Old 12-16-05, 01:15 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Dc Adapter

yes, that's right. The Radio Shack pivoting adapter works like a charm.
Old 12-26-05, 02:25 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Sweet install, I don't have my IS yet, but I am wondering, where you installed it, does it block the other cup holder? I can't really tell from the picture.

Thanks
Old 12-26-05, 06:42 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Cupholder

Yes, if does block it but I have the other one (the one located on the hard surface section below the shifter).

I'm with Kermee on this one; giving the availability of a factory aux-in and cigarette lighter (both available close to each other), and with complete satellite units for as little as $30 after rebates, it makes more sense to go this route than to spend close to the anticipated $1000 for a dealer installed module.

Eventually, in a couple of years, you will be able to buy these modules for a couple hundred bucks from the usual lexus parts websites and, maybe at that point, I will switch to the factory option, if anything, to get the cool display of information on my navigation screen. Until then, I guess this is the way to go, unless you have a grand burning in your pocket

Cheers,
Martin-