Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a great resource which shows you speaker location is www.marklevinsonlexus.com
Old 06-22-06, 09:37 AM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by blk06is350
so the non levinson system does not have the grille in the dash? Does the non levinson system still have the factory
Originally Posted by blk06is350
subwoofer location? And do all other speaker locations remain the same. i.e. same door panels same deck, pillars, etc...?

The non-Levinson system does have a grill in the dash, just no speaker.

The changes in speaker sizes and locations for the Levinson are:
  1. ML adds one 2½" center channel speaker in the dash;
  2. ML adds two rear deck-mounted 2½" rear channel speakers;
  3. ML subtracts two speakers in the rear doors, changing the stock 3-speaker setup (6¼", 2½" & 1") to two speakers, 3.9" & 1"
So the Levinson nets out one more speaker total.

cooney

Old 06-22-06, 01:27 PM
islandsnow
Driver

percey, so now some 6 months has passed since your first review of the ML system on an IS. i thought you were going to do a comparison of the IS ML with IS stock system? don't tell me your area still doesn't have any IS with stock stereo because of some recall? i'm sure i'll know the answer to this, but i just wanted to reaffirm that the $1,000 i spent upgrading to the ML system was worth it, coming from an "average" person.
Old 06-22-06, 02:50 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pumper
Debunking the Myth of "Speaker Break-in"

A few choice quotes:

I don't think there is any reason to believe that car speakers are different in this respect.

pumper
So you are saying I can take the word or Mark Sanfilipo the Senior Loudspeaker Engineer for the prestigious Audoholics website who has hundreds of HIGH END installs under his belt or the word of that little Danish speaker manufacterer Dynaudio...Hmm let me see , Okay I've made choice...I'll go with Dynaudio. 'Nuff said.

With all due respect to Mr. Sanfilipo (and you too pumper)!

Last edited by CRB; 06-22-06 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 03:43 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

thanks cooney, that was the info i was looking for, so are the rear door panels between the 2 models different?
Old 06-23-06, 01:00 PM
Airwolf
Driver School Candidate

Default Standard audio in IS350

I have been following this thread and as an electrical engineer, I'm able to keep up, though I don't have the golden ear some of you have.
My problem is that I think CDs sound fine as does FM radio but (GASP), I listen to AM Talk Radio to and from work and it sounds like a 4 transistor walkie-talkie.
I went back to the Lexus dealer and we listed to several other cars with the standard audio system and they all sound like crap.
Sure, I can modify the sound by playing with the equalizer but it just modifies the noise on top of the muffled sound.
So, other than ripping the POS out of the car, getting XM, or not listening to AM, do anyone of you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-23-06, 01:30 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with your ears Airwolf, even the AM in my ML IS350 does not sound as good as in our Sienna

More money was spent on FM, CD and DVD audio and features.
Old 06-24-06, 08:45 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

Is the ML system really that better than the stock Pioneer system with 13 speakers?? How much power has the Pioneer system got? I found them quite good already.
Old 06-24-06, 08:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I think stock has something like 175-195 watts, the ML has 300 something watts

Originally Posted by Airwolf
I have been following this thread and as an electrical engineer, I'm able to keep up, though I don't have the golden ear some of you have.
My problem is that I think CDs sound fine as does FM radio but (GASP), I listen to AM Talk Radio to and from work and it sounds like a 4 transistor walkie-talkie.
I went back to the Lexus dealer and we listed to several other cars with the standard audio system and they all sound like crap.
Sure, I can modify the sound by playing with the equalizer but it just modifies the noise on top of the muffled sound.
So, other than ripping the POS out of the car, getting XM, or not listening to AM, do anyone of you have a suggestion?
bring a CD to the dealer to try out both systems, a CD that you know what it sounds like in your current vehicle

using the radio to test audio quality is a bad test as over the air radio quality isnt that good to begin with
Old 06-24-06, 06:37 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Percy, everything is relative. ML system is OUTSTANDING compared to other stock stereo systems elsewhere. You should not generalized that everyone who has ever said that the ML is excellent is an "average" listener...and not worthy of your "audio guru" status.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE. You're comparing the ML system to your HOME system. Granted, the LS430 ML system is great...and i doubt that any ML system will match it...until the next LS comes out. Bottom line, the LS430 ML is excellent because it is in Lexus top executive model costing twice that of IS. IT SHOULD BEAT ALL OTHER ML SYSTEM! I would bet my left nut that the next LS460 ML system will beat the current system. You get what you pay for.

Name me 2 other OEM systems (besides Lexus) that beat the IS350 system...you cannot. And you get it for $1000.

You are being extremely bias in your review, Percy. In the past, you have slammed Lexus ML systems because they cannot match your home system or your $10K system in your car. WTF?! Who the hell can?! No one is crazy enough to spend over $10K on a car system...except you. Are you trying to justify your system by slamming Lexus ML's system, costing barely $1K?!! Totally ridiculous.

Lexus ML system is top-notch for OEM industry. It is relatively cheap...the performance of the ML system canNOT be matched by aftermarket parts IF you stay within the price range of the ML system. Period. End of discussion.
There is always room for more improvement and refinement. Audiophile levels of audio quality can be created in a car. It's an engineering challenge but it can be done and it can be offered at a reasonable pricepoint.
Old 06-24-06, 07:23 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
percey, so now some 6 months has passed since your first review of the ML system on an IS. i thought you were going to do a comparison of the IS ML with IS stock system? don't tell me your area still doesn't have any IS with stock stereo because of some recall? i'm sure i'll know the answer to this, but i just wanted to reaffirm that the $1,000 i spent upgrading to the ML system was worth it, coming from an "average" person.
I've had mixed reviews from even the salespeople over at my local lexus dealership. Asked them off the record...would they have it, even if it was a near freebie option. The ones that I've talked to said that the ML wasn't worth it, but that's to them. Now I have to ask, if you've listened to both, was it worth it to YOU?

My recollection of the stock system...it's adequate for the "average" ear. But then the average ear will think the Bose systems sound superb. Even the little clock radio ones.

For those that have the option of listening to both, do it. Then decide.

Haven't had the time for anymore reviews. Priorities have changed within the last few months. It's warmer now and all the 19-22 year old young ladies have been completely pestering me to work on their portfolios. Mostly swimsuit, clubwear, some nudes. I only work with the ones that are higher than Playboy/Maxim caliber. Don't have time to waste.

Percy
Old 06-24-06, 07:27 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
There is always room for more improvement and refinement. Audiophile levels of audio quality can be created in a car. It's an engineering challenge but it can be done and it can be offered at a reasonable pricepoint.
Perfectly said. One of the members, Nate, had donated a ML amp for me to tear apart. To say that the internals are crap would be understating it. Retrodrive and others on the CA/CE board also took a look and he cringed. Low end aftermarket amps would completely better the ML amp BY FAR.

The overheating issue is of concern. You're talking over 30 bipolar devices (not even a mosfet!) sharing the same heatsink...and cooled by a little fan. Not surprised that the thing goes thermal.

Percy
Old 06-24-06, 07:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think cars of today are getting a lot better nowadays, equipment-wise. Hell, the Ford GT comes with a stock McIntosh MX406. Though I don't see why a car like a Ford GT needs such a nice equipment if the car is gonna be loud
Old 06-25-06, 06:46 AM
gmeardi
Rookie

Thumbs up Mark Levinson: outstanding!!!

First of all I'd like to thank Percy (and you all) for the in-deep and "knowledgeable" reviews of the IS audio system.
I received (finally!!) my new IS 220d (Lux + NAV/ML) last week, and I'm trying the audio stuff.

I'm not an absolute 'audiophile' (I mean, my home equipment is below $20k ), but I think I've built up a reasonably good multi-channel system @ home, that I'm now using to listen at the differences with the new ML system (mainly jazz and classic to test).
This is my home 'chain': Pioneer DV-868 AViS (SACD-DVDA player), Rotel RSP-1066 (preampli), Rotel RMB-1066 (mchannel ampli), Dynaudio Audience (mchannel speakers, 122 series).

I'm actually starting to compare DVD-Audio disks, and I'm finding out that - to MY ears - the ML system sounds outstanding, even comparing to my home one, that's not so cheap...
But I'm looking to more DVDA disks, as actually my best ones, at home, are in SACD format (therefore unreadable in 'high-definition').
(btw I'm really sad that DVDA and SACD disks are not selling well as expected... and so disks are hard to find. In my opinion the differences are really remarkable)

I'll post more 'impressions' as soon as I can. Not as... "lucky" as Percy's main job, but... still very busy at work .
In the meantime I can say to be VERY HAPPY (for the Mark Levinson system, but even for the excellent IS!)
Gianluca
Old 06-27-06, 11:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Default MP3 DVD playback?

Hi guys. I'm too lazy to search the entire thread for the answer to this question, but it's simple enough.

I notice that the Mark Levinson system comes with DVD support, and I'm wondering what all that entails: DVD movie playback? MP3 DVD playback? Both?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...