IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's so nice about the luxury package?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 12:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's so nice about the luxury package?

It would appear to me from all the people who have entered and exited my 350 w/luxury package, after seeing the Nav, movies on the ML, very well lit dash, park assist rear view camera, nice trim, wheels, overall look, etc. the four things they are most impressed with, they have the most comments about, that they think are the most impressive, unique, or best about this sporty Lexus are in this order:

1.Lighted door sills: Lights up even in the daytime, obviously the first thing they see when entering, not the first vehicle with them but it is easily noticed and it's good they chose Lexus instead of IS or IS350, gives a little bit of luxury feel to an otherwise aggressive sedan.

2.Push button start: Keyless entry is not a big deal, been there done that. But when you get inside and push the button to start, gets them every time. Found on all the IS's, you probably get questions like "how does it know.." or "What happens if..." and finally "That's very cool."

3.Rear view camera: As soon as you go into reverse, you don't even have to say anything because the Navi is so big and bright and in your face. The camera comes in really clearly and if there is a lot of activity behind you when backing....so it's gimmicky but it's done right. Most passengers are surprised by it altho I think this has been done before, too. They want to know "where's the camera?"

4.Rear sunshade and nice leather seats: Adds a touch of class and luxury. Again, if you are not into a fine luxury automobile, these probably don't make much difference to you. First, the leather is much nicer and much softer than traditional leather seats and second passengers always comment how comfortable they are and how much nicer the seat leather feels. Finally when you demostrate and operate the rear sunshade...you know what I'm trying to say.

At first I was concerned that the luxury package was not very "luxurious" and was basically wood vs metal trim found in the sport package. I wanted the sport package because I thought the performance might not be there without getting that package; luxury might roll alot, too soft of a ride. But I'm finding the luxury performance to be pretty good. I'm glad I got the luxury package, for the luxury extras that aren't so easy to "upgrade" to. In the future, if I need performance upgrades, lowering, etc. I can pay the money and have it done I guess. I still think I like the silver trim over the wood, but other than that, I wouldn't trade luxury for sport.

*Been off work on vacation all last week...still gone up until Jan 9, so I got some free time on my hands.
Old 12-17-05, 01:11 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, having the factory HIDs and power telescoping wheel are also key aspects of the luxury package.
Old 12-17-05, 01:33 PM
TNGreg
Driver School Candidate

Pretty weird huh??? Such similar posts so close together. That was my post here .

The points you made in your post are almost exactly the issues I'm trying to decide on.

But here's a BIG hypothetical question, and maybe you can't really answer it. If someone offered you a FREE IS, but you had to choose between the luxury package or the Nav system, which would you go with? No way possible to have both, and you must choose only one. Hard to answer, but it sure would be nice to have such a problem!!

Thanks!
Old 12-17-05, 01:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TNGreg
Pretty weird huh??? Such similar posts so close together. That was my post here .

The points you made in your post are almost exactly the issues I'm trying to decide on.

But here's a BIG hypothetical question, and maybe you can't really answer it. If someone offered you a FREE IS, but you had to choose between the luxury package or the Nav system, which would you go with? No way possible to have both, and you must choose only one. Hard to answer, but it sure would be nice to have such a problem!!

Thanks!
If it were one of the other ONLY, then I'd look for another car, but that's just me. I looked at a lot of cars out there, and the IS Sport is virtually the only one that met my criteria:
- 300HP
- absolutely NO wood trim
- good Nav (so this excludes any German cars)
- reliable (again this excludes German cars)
- <$65K
Old 12-17-05, 02:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Thanks!
I have to have Navigation, so this would be an easy one for me.
Old 12-17-05, 02:37 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
The wood will grow on you in time. I use to think the same thing. Still getting around find in the snow?
Still ok in the snow and the icy/snow patches still around in parking lots. The wood is OK but I'm curious to see if someone comes out with a quick inexpensive easy way to mix and match or swap back and forth. If not, all is good.
Old 12-17-05, 07:52 PM
dennis250
Driver

Thanks!
Lux. I've never had nav so although i would like to have it, i wouldn't miss it. IMHO, everything that comes with the lux is more usefull than the nav when i usually know where i'm going. Other than the map, the rest of it is cool but kinda gimmicky. But that said, i'm still want both if I can afford it.
Old 12-17-05, 08:20 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Thanks!
I would probably go with the Nav. After getting my first car with Nav, I'll never know another car without it. It comes in handy all the time, even when you're in places you know well. However, it'll be tough to pass on luxury "basics" like HIDs and memory seats.
Old 12-17-05, 11:16 PM
3erbeatsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
I have to have Navigation, so this would be an easy one for me.
I pick up free maps from the travel center.
Old 12-17-05, 11:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like LS features in sports sedan IS.