IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is there a recall on the IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 07:45 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 250 AWD, if something needs to be done do I need to contact my dealership or will they contact me if something comes up?
Old 12-18-05, 07:55 PM
Josh Combs
Driver School Candidate

if there is a recall you will recieve a mailer in the mail. If this was a immeadiate problem you may even get a call from Lexus dealerships.

Ohh I can not wait to fix this problem at work I was told about it by a salesman on friday, but still haven't seen any tsb's on it.

-Joshua
Old 12-18-05, 09:21 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Payam
All I have to say is that I hate BMW salesmen. before I bought my 350, I went to a BMW dealership. I walked the lot for about 30 minutes without anyone coming out to see if I needed anything. Then I figured I'd go inside the dealership and see where all the sales people were. I walk inside, there are about 10 salesmen there and only 2 customers that I saw. Not one person said a single word to me. So I wandered around for about 20 minuted playing with their computers and looking at the cars inside, still nothing. Finally I hear the receptionist say excuse me sir, so I turn around, and she's like oh, not you. Then I left there and went down the street to Lexus. Nicest people in the world.

Yeah that's bad. I'm really young-looking too, almost high school, (even though I happen to have a pretty solid income, especially for my age) so I don't get taken seriously anyway. However...

They were trying to sell my friend a 330i with an MSRP of just under $43,000 for what equated to being about $52,000 after taxes, bringing it to $47,000. They said they couldn't take $1200 off that price. Give me a break. That's still $4000 over MSRP, and the 330i isn't really a NEW, new car (been out since about the 2006 GS's came out).
Old 12-19-05, 12:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kensteele
Lexus just cares enough to do something about it [officially] but holding up sales druing the Season is pretty big unless they have a fix in a day or two.
Lexus cares more about safety and quality related issues than sales. That's why Lexus actually would issue a moratorium on all IS shipments just to fix this problem.

The point being that the problem would be fixed before it reaches the customer.
Old 12-19-05, 12:05 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

By the way, sorry for driving this thread off the rails...

Again, I think this is still the 250 AWD only
Old 12-19-05, 06:14 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

All I have to say is that I hate BMW salesmen. before I bought my 350, I went to a BMW dealership. I walked the lot for about 30 minutes without anyone coming out to see if I needed anything. Then I figured I'd go inside the dealership and see where all the sales people were. I walk inside, there are about 10 salesmen there and only 2 customers that I saw. Not one person said a single word to me. So I wandered around for about 20 minuted playing with their computers and looking at the cars inside, still nothing. Finally I hear the receptionist say excuse me sir, so I turn around, and she's like oh, not you. Then I left there and went down the street to Lexus. Nicest people in the world.
I just had to comment on this.
I bought a GX470 last year and was impressed by the people at Lexus dealerships.

I am going to buy an IS350 but decided to test the competition. I went to two separate BMW dealerships to try the 3 and 5 series.

They both took a while to help me out. In one case, I had to ask the receptionist to get me help since nobody paid attention to me outside.
I'm 32 yrs old BTW.

Each sales person from each dealership asked me what type of car I drove within the first 20 words that came out of their mouths. They also wanted to know what I did for a living, what my wife did, and my bank account numbers and retirement funds - well okay, maybe not the last two items but I can feel they would have if they had the chance LOL.

Man, they really size you up to see if you are good enough for a BMW and NOT if a BMW is good enough for you.
-okay, this is from my personal experience at the dealership. I did not say that the sales people were not helpful once they got to helping me, it was just the subtle interrogation of my finanaces that I find annoying. This happened at two dealerships, same experience.

I also went to Lexus to try the IS350 and a GS300. The sales people were really great. They mainly wanted to talk about the car and not what you have or if you can afford the car like in BMW.

Last edited by lexus27; 12-19-05 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 07:26 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus27
I just had to comment on this.
I bought a GX470 last year and was impressed by the people at Lexus dealerships.

I am going to buy an IS350 but decided to test the competition. I went to two separate BMW dealerships to try the 3 and 5 series.

They both took a while to help me out. In one case, I had to ask the receptionist to get me help since nobody paid attention to me outside.
I'm 32 yrs old BTW.

Each sales person from each dealership asked me what type of car I drove within the first 20 words that came out of their mouths. They also wanted to know what I did for a living, what my wife did, and my bank account numbers and retirement funds - well okay, maybe not the last two items but I can feel they would have if they had the chance LOL.

Man, they really size you up to see if you are good enough for a BMW and NOT if a BMW is good enough for you.

I also went to Lexus to try the IS350 and a GS300. The sales people were really great. They mainly wanted to talk about the car and not what you have or if you can afford the car like in BMW.
Interesting. I visted Ralph Schomp BMW in l.ittleton, CO before getting my Lexus. The salesman seemed pretty nice. He was patient with me and helped me test drive a 325xi as well as a 330i. Of course, the man who helped me out also assisted my dad in getting a 530i last year, so he probably was trying to be extra nice.

I found it funny when he called me two weeks later to see how I was doing and to also tell me they have more 330i's in stock. I told him I appreciated the call but that I ended up getting a Lexus IS350. There was a short pause over the phone and the tone of his voice changed. He replied, "Oh...that's a pretty nice car too I guess ". LOL
Old 12-19-05, 09:40 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

i've commented on this before, but i'll say it again....how the hell does BMW get brought into every friggin' thread on this forum ?!?!....if it's some sort of comparison thread, i can see it, but this thread is about a Lexus recall

it just makes Lexus owners sound really insecure when they can't talk about their cars without comparing them to BMW
Old 12-19-05, 10:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus27
Hmm, I think it's unfair to generalize all BMW salespeople negatively. When I considering the 6 series this past summer, the salespeople I dealt with at BMW were great...very knowledgable, polite, and friendly (at SD BMW and Santa Monica BMW).

FWIW, one of my worst sales experiences was at a Lexus dealership. When I was looking for my GS, I had the misfortune of running into some very aggressive and annoying salespeople.
Old 12-19-05, 11:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
it just makes Lexus owners sound really insecure when they can't talk about their cars without comparing them to BMW
What is brought up it's about BMW salesmen, nothing to do about the feeling about the cars.

I agree BMW salesmen is OT in this thread though, as well as your post, & of course mine too
Old 12-19-05, 11:41 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
due to the possibility that the gas pedal could get jammed by the carpet mat and the driver would have unintended acceleration. This only applies to the AWD IS250 and there are not any similar issues with the IS350 or IS250 RWD's. The fix will be to install a pad beneath the pedal to stop this from occuring. We haven't had any owners reporting any problems but Lexus sees this as a serious safety issue on a new model and has issued a moratorium on sales and delivery until the fix can be applied. We currently have only two AWD's in stock but they only arrived two days ago. It is by far the most popular version of the IS here in the East and we are often sold out including any demonstrators.

When Lexus ships their cars to the dealerships there is a lot of protective packaging. Most of the interior is wrapped in plastic. The front footwells are shod with cardboard pieces that can slide and interfere with the pedals if the cardboard rotates so I can understand how a carpet mat could get jammed if it is out of position. There are anchors that hold the mat in place and occasionally they can get knocked loose or slip off. It is a good idea to check them periodically to make sure they are in place. There are rubber teeth under the mat that also keep it from creeping. Lastly if you like to place a rubber mat for the Winter or wet weather then you should take the carpet mat out first. We have customers who pile 2 or 3 mats on top inorder to protect the original mat. This can lead to similar problems if there is not enough clearance at the gas pedal. Lexus sells their own rubber mats that are cut to fit the footwells correctly. Just remember to take the carpet mats out first.

Rock
thanks for the tips
Old 12-20-05, 05:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default About 3,500 IS250 AWD's...

will be affected by the Special Service Campaign. The culprit is a plastic piece under the stock carpet which if it is too thick can interfere with the gas pedal linkage and therefore the return of the gas pedal. ( It's not the carpet mat ) So far the problem has been reported twice. There weren't any accidents or anything. Those owners who have the affected IS250's will get a letter this month to come into the dealership and get the new piece installed and the gas pedal linkage replaced. The labor time should be about an hour. Thanks for your patience.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 12-20-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:25 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarification and to further confirm, you've heard NOTHING about any problems with the 350, right?

On another note, have you heard anything about a thumping noise in either the 250/350 when fully turning the front wheels?
Old 12-20-05, 03:17 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
A person is a person, if he or she happen to be a BMW, Lexus or Hyundai salesperson. You will find a jerk in every bunch. IIRC, there was a member here complaining about a salesman at Longo..
i know a lot of people that complained about salesman at Longo, even me.

even my girl's friend at longo wasn't getting better deal or better in any way...
Old 10-24-06, 07:44 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Rockville.... is this you Ki ??? lol im from rockville are anyhow if ur not who i think u r...

Quick Reply: is there a recall on the IS350??