IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is there a recall on the IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 10:47 PM
oodesoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a recall on the IS350??

I went to the dealer today in NYC (Lexus of Manhattan), looking to test drive the IS350 they had on hand, one of the sales people then comes over to tell me they are not letting people test drive the IS350 because of a possible "accelerator " problem that Lexus just contacted them about this past Thursday. Anyone hear about this??? He said it was an issue occurring ONLY on the 350's and it might lead to a possible recall of them.
Old 12-17-05, 11:01 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta be kidding me? For real? What, it's not April 1st, is it? Would Lexus give us a loaner if that were to be the case??
Old 12-17-05, 11:03 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

They better not have a recall on our cars!!!!
Old 12-17-05, 11:09 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Well if it is ANYTHING, I bet it's not a big deal, bet it's fixed at the dealer rather quickly...
Old 12-17-05, 11:26 PM
erock901
Rookie

Nope...not yet at least. I was at my Lexus dealership today and asked them about this because I read a similar post on another forum. There are no Toyota/Lexus TSB's for the IS350. However, I have read (on another forum) that Lexus may reposition the accelorator pedal in the IS250 AWD due to it's proximity to the "bump" in the footwell. Hopefully, there won't be anymore reason to fuel the rumor-mill. I would hope that Lexus would inform us (the actual owners of the IS350) of any issues before we read about it in a forum.

My bad, there actually is 1 TSB for the IS350. It involves the tire sensors.

Last edited by erock901; 12-17-05 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 12:45 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

One Lexus dealer told me that they are holding all the new shipments because of some issues with the car...
Old 12-18-05, 05:09 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There will be a recall on all IS250 AWD's...

due to the possibility that the gas pedal could get jammed by the carpet mat and the driver would have unintended acceleration. This only applies to the AWD IS250 and there are not any similar issues with the IS350 or IS250 RWD's. The fix will be to install a pad beneath the pedal to stop this from occuring. We haven't had any owners reporting any problems but Lexus sees this as a serious safety issue on a new model and has issued a moratorium on sales and delivery until the fix can be applied. We currently have only two AWD's in stock but they only arrived two days ago. It is by far the most popular version of the IS here in the East and we are often sold out including any demonstrators.

When Lexus ships their cars to the dealerships there is a lot of protective packaging. Most of the interior is wrapped in plastic. The front footwells are shod with cardboard pieces that can slide and interfere with the pedals if the cardboard rotates so I can understand how a carpet mat could get jammed if it is out of position. There are anchors that hold the mat in place and occasionally they can get knocked loose or slip off. It is a good idea to check them periodically to make sure they are in place. There are rubber teeth under the mat that also keep it from creeping. Lastly if you like to place a rubber mat for the Winter or wet weather then you should take the carpet mat out first. We have customers who pile 2 or 3 mats on top inorder to protect the original mat. This can lead to similar problems if there is not enough clearance at the gas pedal. Lexus sells their own rubber mats that are cut to fit the footwells correctly. Just remember to take the carpet mats out first.

Rock
Old 12-18-05, 09:51 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Seems to me lots of different cars and manufacturers could have this same problem with the carpet and the accelerator. I think many of us have once driven a car where something was jammed underneath and when you took your foot OFF the accelerator, it didn't retract and the car didn't fully slow down. While the brakes will override, you have to reach down and pull hard...you usually found this out right away at slower speeds so it's not like you're on the freeway jammed at 90mph. Lexus just cares enough to do something about it [officially] but holding up sales druing the Season is pretty big unless they have a fix in a day or two.
Old 12-18-05, 10:41 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

So is this REALLY just for the 250's? Was oodesoo misled?
Old 12-18-05, 10:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
. . . Was oodesoo misled?
We all know that some car salesman can be quite clueless
Old 12-18-05, 10:53 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
We all know that some car salesman can be quite clueless

Yes, indeed.

Does this apply to the GS300 AWD also? I'm asking this in the wrong forum, I know, but maybe someone knows? I haven't heard anything yet
Old 12-18-05, 11:48 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

There was another thread about this earlier where 2 IS350 owners were told the same thing... that thread was here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191965

I have yet to see any TSIB info on this through NHTSA or internal websites and haven't heard from my dealer about it either. If I hear anything other than the IS250 AWD issue I'll make a note of it.

Any other IS350 owners heard anything? It would make sense that dealers were told there was an issue with the throttle getting stuck on the IS series and they would have to check the cars as it wouldn't affect all of them, although it would have been easier just to be told "it only affects AWD IS250s"... so perhaps it's not just AWD specific.
Old 12-18-05, 12:57 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I read the bulletin from Lexus HQ's....

and it only is affecting the IS250 AWD's which have a different arrangement then the RWD's. We'll just have to get through this. Hey, take it easy on the Sales Guy bashing, OK? I try my best...

Rock
Old 12-18-05, 01:20 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockville
and it only is affecting the IS250 AWD's which have a different arrangement then the RWD's. We'll just have to get through this. Hey, take it easy on the Sales Guy bashing, OK? I try my best...

Rock
Never had a problem with a Lexus salesperson, but man the BMW guy my friend was dealing with yesterday...
Old 12-18-05, 02:33 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

All I have to say is that I hate BMW salesmen. before I bought my 350, I went to a BMW dealership. I walked the lot for about 30 minutes without anyone coming out to see if I needed anything. Then I figured I'd go inside the dealership and see where all the sales people were. I walk inside, there are about 10 salesmen there and only 2 customers that I saw. Not one person said a single word to me. So I wandered around for about 20 minuted playing with their computers and looking at the cars inside, still nothing. Finally I hear the receptionist say excuse me sir, so I turn around, and she's like oh, not you. Then I left there and went down the street to Lexus. Nicest people in the world.

Quick Reply: is there a recall on the IS350??