Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 06:09 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with Steve from Xenon Depot.
He has been most helpful!

He finally saw the issue that I brought up earlier about using the homedepot's grommet.
He is tying to come up with solutions.
For those whose XD kit does not come with rubber grommet and want to install, please check back on this thread.
I will try to post his answer - or knowing Steve- I bet he will post too.

Below I attached a picture of the issue.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES-grommetproblem_small.jpg  
Old 08-01-06, 06:01 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Hello all

I have also bought the H11 kit from Steve, and its due to be delivered tmr....hopefully with the grommet. In any case, if it doesn't, I would purchase a grommet in the pic that will cause the least amount of space between the wires as it goes through. Once that is chosen, I think it might be easier to just use a sharp knife to cut the grommet. This way, you wont have to get a grommet that will have to fit the connector heads thru....you just prise the grommet and get all 4 wires in. If you are really after a 'tighter' fit, you can buy those wiring loom covers (like those used in the engine bay) that audio places use to make all the wiring in the engine bay look oem.

Even with the grommet that was meant to be supplied, i doubt it would be super airtight anyways. But with a bit of black silicon on the outside of the grommet after you cut it, you can make it airtight.

hth

Originally Posted by SugarRush
STEVE, i went to 2 of my local homedepot stores and asked for various kind of grommet that they have. But nothing is close to similar to the grommet of the XD kit.

I asked the ppl who worked at homedepot and even show them the picture of the rubber grommet that suposedly included with the Xenon Depot kit. They say the only thing they carry is the thin ones. (see pictures). I went to another homedepot stores, and they told me the same: only thin ones.

I have the XD kit since last Tuesday and have been scratching my head how to overcome the 'no grommets' included with this kit issue. Help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-01-06, 06:44 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by b3dlam

I have also bought the H11 kit from Steve, and its due to be delivered tmr....hopefully with the grommet. In any case, if it doesn't, I would purchase a grommet in the pic that will cause the least amount of space between the wires as it goes through. Once that is chosen, I think it might be easier to just use a sharp knife to cut the grommet. This way, you wont have to get a grommet that will have to fit the connector heads thru....you just prise the grommet and get all 4 wires in.
True, but you still need to drill 1" hole to run the wire AND the wiring harness (the white harness and the grey harness) through the dust cap right? So now you have a small grommet and a big hole. How does that work?

Steve from XenonDepot told me to disassamble the white harness. That I know how to do thanks to the earlier post of this thread. But the for the 2 grey bulb harness, he is trying to figure that one out. He says the connector is a bit tricky.

If you are really after a 'tighter' fit, you can buy those wiring loom covers (like those used in the engine bay) that audio places use to make all the wiring in the engine bay look oem.
I agree. Kind enough to tell me where to find those?

Even with the grommet that was meant to be supplied, i doubt it would be super airtight anyways. But with a bit of black silicon on the outside of the grommet after you cut it, you can make it airtight.
With silicon sealant, yes it will give a tight seal.
The supplied grommet have much smaller gap covering the hole so that using the silicon sealant in addition to grommet will be practical.
Old 08-01-06, 07:03 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

They grey bulb connectors can be removed! The big one is not tricky at all. The smaller one is definitely trickier. I managed to get it off once and failed to get it again. Still working on it.

I have pictures of how to remove the larger grey connector already. If you need them please email me info@xenondepot.com

On another note, I just spoke to somebody at Canadian Tire (like pep boys or autozone) and they said that they have something. I will go over there shortly to see what they have.

Will keep you guys posted.

Steve
Old 08-01-06, 07:31 AM
b3dlam
Driver

True, but you still need to drill 1" hole to run the wire AND the wiring harness (the white harness and the grey harness) through the dust cap right? So now you have a small grommet and a big hole. How does that work?
true. I didnt think of that.

Whilst dismantling the grey and smaller connector would be ideal, maybe we could cut out a shallow 'u' shaped section from one of the edges of the cover? it would 'minimise' the void space since you can just slide the wires thru.

I agree. Kind enough to tell me where to find those?
This isnt going to really help since you're not in oz, but here it is:
http://www.narva.com.au/Terminals_17.html
A car audio or even radioshack would have something similar i think.

With silicon sealant, yes it will give a tight seal.
The supplied grommet have much smaller gap covering the hole so that using the silicon sealant in addition to grommet will be practical.
yeah...that would be ideal. Hope you find a solution or workaround!

cheers
Old 08-01-06, 09:02 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

OK!! I have pictues of how to remove the small grey connctor as well. This way ou can use a very small grommet as you will only be running the metal terminals through the grommet and dust cover. You can reinstall the grey connectors after you have fished the wires through the grommet and dust cover.

Steve
Old 08-01-06, 09:39 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Would it be easier to just send out the garments that come with the kit. I just dont want to break the connectors trying to take them apart, then I would be totally screwed
Old 08-02-06, 03:49 AM
b3dlam
Driver

oh crap!!!

I received my HID kit today from DHL. After opening the box, i saw that one of the bulbs was badly damaged!!! major bugger!!!! The damaged bulb wasnt in the clear casing like the other one...sigh....

Emailed you Steve...i hope i can get a replacement bulb soon.. Was really looking forward to having the kit installed tonight!!

Old 08-02-06, 05:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Just Emailed you..

Was the DHL box damaged at all?
Was there no twist tie holding th ebulb in place??
Old 08-02-06, 07:08 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Just Emailed you..

Was the DHL box damaged at all?
Was there no twist tie holding th ebulb in place??
hello steve,

the box appears intact and undamaged. There was a twist tie holding the bulb, but it was relatively loose. But I think the tape holding the flat back (black plastic which the twist tie is holding on to) to the clear case became unstuck and allowed the bulb to be 'unprotected'...

sorry...i'll take this offline until it gets resolved so it doesnt mess up the thread!

thanks for your help steve.
Old 08-02-06, 07:54 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

I found that on mine too, the sitcky part holding the plastic together (bulb case) was unstuck and i thought it had been opened or something but i dont know. Waiting on the garment pics or resolutions to try lights
Old 08-02-06, 11:06 AM
alonedrift
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie question!

I just had somebody installed Xenon HiD for me and it looked great. I have one concern about it tho. When my HID headlight is on and also my daytime light is on. Is that normal? I also thought that when you turn on your headlights, your DRL goes off? Any input will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-02-06, 11:25 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alonedrift
I just had somebody installed Xenon HiD for me and it looked great. I have one concern about it tho. When my HID headlight is on and also my daytime light is on. Is that normal? I also thought that when you turn on your headlights, your DRL goes off? Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

your drls should be off when your hids are on..are you sure youre not seeing the parking lights on with the hids? (they are the really small 194 bulbs that are in the headlight housing next to the drls)
Old 08-02-06, 11:31 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alonedrift
you mean it looks something like this ??? Then that is normal

Old 08-05-06, 10:59 PM
tbs2
Driver School Candidate

Just installed MTEC 6000k on my IS250. And I found the window control is out of order.

On driver's window control panel
-All 4 automatic down are out.
-The little green light on driver's window button is blinking. (The other 3 are solid green)
-Still can hold the driver window button for up and down. But no able to control other windows at all.

On passenger and 2 rear wondow controls
-Auto down and up are out
-Only can hold to for up and down
-Green lights are blinking

Is there anything I did worng on the installation or it's some else happened? I worry if I can bring back to the dealership. Cuz they probbaly would say it's my fault and the factory warranty would not cover that.

Please HELP!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES