IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 10:05 PM
evren
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: I learnt to read the manual, p . 132.

One can program 20 numbers into the phone:

1: Touch "Voice Rec."
2: Select the phone number and touch "REC" to record a voicetag
3: Touch "PLAY" to play the voicetag (if you want to delete it, touch "Delete" and "OK"
Old 12-19-05, 10:20 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The car works as a BT headset. So if you're phone supports voice dial, and voice dialing through a headset, then it should work.
Anyone else tried this out? Do you first have to import stored names from your phone into the car? Or can you simply use the car's blue tooth connection/mic and speaker system/ to communicate with the voice dial name and phone book in your phone?
Old 12-20-05, 04:00 AM
Dr C
Driver

I'm using Spint's Voice Command exclusively. Once I installed the phone (bluetooth), all I have to do is press INFO, TELEPHONE, SPRINT and I am connected to Sprint's voice dialing. All changes are made over the internet. I did not have to import any phone numbers or mess with the interface between my phone and my car. I set up one number in speed dialing (# , TALK) to access Sprint.

When I switched to a new phone that was bluetooth compatible, there was nothing to do because all of my names and numbers are stored at Sprint. Sure does make the system user friendly. Took me maybe five minutes to switch from my BMW to my Lexus and to switch cellphones. My phone and my car are never out of sync and it doesn't matter whether I moving, standing still or have my phone out of my car.

I have 155 names in my phone with up to 4 number each, all accessible by voice dialing. No delay in connecting. No echo. And people understand me just fine. Phone was $70 from Sprint.

Disclaimer: I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in Sprint. But, I have used a cellphone for a very long time -- probably close to 20 years so I hate mickey mouse with my phone. Just want to be able to press a button and talk.. And, if I want to dial a number that isn't in my system, I just say the number and voice command dials it.
Attached Thumbnails Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature-speeddialsm.jpg  

Last edited by Dr C; 12-20-05 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:19 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Anyone tried bluethooth in their IS250/350 with a Cingular phone??
Old 12-20-05, 10:46 AM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't know how the Lexus phone system works technically. All I'm saying is the Lexus registers with my phone as a BT headset. And with any BT headset I can voice (name) dial my Sony Ericsson. You need the Lexus to pass the voice stream to the phone, and not intercept and try to interpret the voice stream. Maybe it's not supported?
It's not a Bluetooth headset, it's a Bluetooth hands-free. The two are similar, but distinct profiles in the Bluetooth specification, but many cell phones will show the same icon for them. Hands-free systems do not support open-channel audio like headsets do -- which is why you can't use your phone's internal voice dialing with this car.

Voice dialing systems like Sprint's Voice Command work just fine, because what you're actually doing is placing a call to your cell carrier, and their computer system is handling the voice recognition and phone book lookup.

Originally Posted by ES3
Yes, I've paired a Sony-Ericsson T610 and Z600 (both on Cingular service) without any problems.
Old 12-20-05, 11:38 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Sony s710a from cingular works perfect
Old 12-20-05, 01:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dr C
I'm using Spint's Voice Command exclusively. Once I installed the phone (bluetooth), all I have to do is press INFO, TELEPHONE, SPRINT and I am connected to Sprint's voice dialing. All changes are made over the internet. I did not have to import any phone numbers or mess with the interface between my phone and my car. I set up one number in speed dialing (# , TALK) to access Sprint.

When I switched to a new phone that was bluetooth compatible, there was nothing to do because all of my names and numbers are stored at Sprint. Sure does make the system user friendly. Took me maybe five minutes to switch from my BMW to my Lexus and to switch cellphones. My phone and my car are never out of sync and it doesn't matter whether I moving, standing still or have my phone out of my car.

I have 155 names in my phone with up to 4 number each, all accessible by voice dialing. No delay in connecting. No echo. And people understand me just fine. Phone was $70 from Sprint.

Disclaimer: I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in Sprint. But, I have used a cellphone for a very long time -- probably close to 20 years so I hate mickey mouse with my phone. Just want to be able to press a button and talk.. And, if I want to dial a number that isn't in my system, I just say the number and voice command dials it.

I do work at Sprint so I'm biased when I say Voice Command is awesome for this.
Old 12-20-05, 11:51 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by terp05
Sony s710a from cingular works perfect
Are you able to use voice dialing through your phone without any importing? Or did you have to store voices in the car in order to dial by name?
Old 12-21-05, 04:34 AM
Dr C
Driver

ES3:

That's the beauty of Sprint's Voice Command (I think that Verizon has a similar system but I have never seen the Verizon system in action). You add, change and delete phone number (up to 5 per name, I think, but I have a max of four numbers per name) over the internet. The names and numbers are stored at Sprint so you can access your info from any phone registered for your account. I usually leave my cellphone in my car - preferring not to be readily accessible at all times. Any time I turn my phone on, if I press * Talk, it goes to Voice Command. In my Lexus, I have speed dial number 6 (see my picture posted yesterday) which is preprogrammed in the car to dial Sprint. Everything from there on is by voice. I swear by it. It took me longer to register my new bluetooth compatible phone to Sprint than it did to access my names and phone numbers. I have 155 names with up to four numbers each. No mickey mouse. No waiting. Good, clear connections.

Before I leave for the hospital in the morning, I enter names and numbers on my computer before I leave the house -- then I can dial those people using voice dialing so I don't have to take my eyes off the road of my hands off the wheel (I have to press Info, Telephone, Sprint to initiate Voice Command). If it's been a busy day, I may do the same thing on the way home. Or, Voice Command allows straight voice dialing by just saying the number that I want to dial (in the event that the computer has not been previously programmed for that name) which is something I'm pretty sure that the phone in the car won't do.

Besides, I figure that Sprint literally makes their living off of phone calls. No phone calls -- no Sprint. WHereas, voice dialing is not a priority for Lexus. Not a put down to Lexus, just a reality.

Last edited by Dr C; 12-21-05 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-21-05, 07:54 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Are you able to use voice dialing through your phone without any importing? Or did you have to store voices in the car in order to dial by name?
Had to store voices in the car
Old 12-21-05, 08:35 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dr C
ES3:

That's the beauty of Sprint's Voice Command (I think that Verizon has a similar system but I have never seen the Verizon system in action). You add, change and delete phone number (up to 5 per name, I think, but I have a max of four numbers per name) over the internet. The names and numbers are stored at Sprint so you can access your info from any phone registered for your account. I usually leave my cellphone in my car - preferring not to be readily accessible at all times. Any time I turn my phone on, if I press * Talk, it goes to Voice Command. In my Lexus, I have speed dial number 6 (see my picture posted yesterday) which is preprogrammed in the car to dial Sprint. Everything from there on is by voice. I swear by it. It took me longer to register my new bluetooth compatible phone to Sprint than it did to access my names and phone numbers. I have 155 names with up to four numbers each. No mickey mouse. No waiting. Good, clear connections.

Before I leave for the hospital in the morning, I enter names and numbers on my computer before I leave the house -- then I can dial those people using voice dialing so I don't have to take my eyes off the road of my hands off the wheel (I have to press Info, Telephone, Sprint to initiate Voice Command). If it's been a busy day, I may do the same thing on the way home. Or, Voice Command allows straight voice dialing by just saying the number that I want to dial (in the event that the computer has not been previously programmed for that name) which is something I'm pretty sure that the phone in the car won't do.

Besides, I figure that Sprint literally makes their living off of phone calls. No phone calls -- no Sprint. WHereas, voice dialing is not a priority for Lexus. Not a put down to Lexus, just a reality.
Thanks for the info! If only Sprint had decent reception in my area! I've got friends with it who drop more calls than they do girlfriends!
Old 12-21-05, 08:37 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Had to store voices in the car

For you or anyone else... to make a call without voice activation, do you also have to store the number in your car, then select dial from the nav screen? Or can you dial the number on your phone, to have the blue tooth function of your car automatically make the connection?
Old 12-21-05, 10:21 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
For you or anyone else... to make a call without voice activation, do you also have to store the number in your car, then select dial from the nav screen? Or can you dial the number on your phone, to have the blue tooth function of your car automatically make the connection?
You can choose to do either- the bluetooth connection to the car is basically no different than if you had a bluetooth headset on your ear or in even simpler terms a wired headset plugged in. It will pipe all of the sound to the "headset", which in this case is the car. Also fyi if you have a bluetooth headset and are talking on it when you get in the car, the car doesn't override the previous connection- at least my phone didn't....not sure if this is phone specific though
Old 12-21-05, 11:28 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

You can choose to do either- the bluetooth connection to the car is basically no different than if you had a bluetooth headset on your ear or in even simpler terms a wired headset plugged in. It will pipe all of the sound to the "headset", which in this case is the car. Also fyi if you have a bluetooth headset and are talking on it when you get in the car, the car doesn't override the previous connection- at least my phone didn't....not sure if this is phone specific though
But to clarify, you can NOT push the voice dial button on you phone, and say the name into the car mic, for voice dial, you need to FIRST store a voice in your car system? Unless you use Sprint?
Old 12-22-05, 05:48 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
But to clarify, you can NOT push the voice dial button on you phone, and say the name into the car mic, for voice dial, you need to FIRST store a voice in your car system? Unless you use Sprint?
I actually have never tried that- I want to say 'no' because its the car software that opens up the channel between the two..I might be wrong however- will try this immediately when i leave work today

Quick Reply: Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature