IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05 | 06:16 AM
Dr C
Driver

You can use voice dialing through the car system. If I press the "phone" button on the steering wheel and say "Dial by name" (after stoing the name in the car system), it goes to a second menu. At the second menu, I say dial sprint. Then I think that I get a 3rd menu at which time it will dial Sprint, which in my case means that it dials my Voice Command and I then dial by name through Sprint's system. If I had other names already entered into the 6 spots for Speed Dialing, I could dial one of those using the car's voice dialing system. However I don't think that you can dial any more than the 6 speed dialing numbers using voice dialing. I believe that your entire phone book is available if your car is stopped but talking when I am stopped, or stopping to dial, defeats the advantage of having a cell phone in the car.

I said before in this forum that I think that Verizon offers voice dialing similar to Sprint's voice command. I know one of the other major cell phonce companys does offer it. I just wanted to keep Sprint as my carrier because we have had decent service from them and because their world headquarters is just about one mile from my home and 1/2 mile from my office (although I suspect that a lot of their corporate stuff has moved to be closer to Nextel now). I also have no use for a $600 or $700 cellphone that has dozens of great features on it. To me it's an appliance that I use to make phone calls. Not a computer or a daytimer/palm pilot. Just a cheap phone that makes calls for me. But, I do realize that people spend tons of money on fancy cellphones these days. Just not me.
Old 12-22-05 | 06:25 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr C
I don't think that you can dial any more than the 6 speed dialing numbers using voice dialing. I believe that your entire phone book is available if your car is stopped but talking when I am stopped, or stopping to dial, defeats the advantage of having a cell phone in the car.
This is not correct. I've voice-dialed contacts by name that are not on my speed dial..contacts who I had previously recorded their name in the car phonebook.
Old 12-22-05 | 08:26 AM
Dr C
Driver

I stand corrected. That's good to hear. If you want more than two numbers for the same person (e.g., wife at home, wife at work, wife on cell phone), how do you do that? Wife1, Wife2, and Wife3? Just wondering. With Sprint Voice Command, I just say, "Wife at home," "wife on cellphone," and it dials it for me.
Old 12-22-05 | 09:07 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr C
I stand corrected. That's good to hear. If you want more than two numbers for the same person (e.g., wife at home, wife at work, wife on cell phone), how do you do that? Wife1, Wife2, and Wife3? Just wondering. With Sprint Voice Command, I just say, "Wife at home," "wife on cellphone," and it dials it for me.
Unfortunately I think you can only have one voice command per contact, even though the contact can have multiple phone numbers. It seems they should have chosen either one # per contact or multiple voice commands per contact- the combination just doesn't make sense.