IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 11:29 AM
evren
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature

I have a 350 w/ ML and obviously Bluetooth capability (which works wonderfully of course). I was wondering if anyone happens to know if there is a way to access the voice-dialing feature of my phone, i.e. speak names of people in my phonebook and have them dialed. I know I have a bluetooth headset that lets me do this, so presumably its feasible. Can it be done? Do I have to reprogram the sounds of the people in my phonebook directly into the car or should they have been transfered when I zapped my phonebook into the car?

cheers.
Old 12-19-05, 11:36 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evren
I have a 350 w/ ML and obviously Bluetooth capability (which works wonderfully of course). I was wondering if anyone happens to know if there is a way to access the voice-dialing feature of my phone, i.e. speak names of people in my phonebook and have them dialed. I know I have a bluetooth headset that lets me do this, so presumably its feasible. Can it be done? Do I have to reprogram the sounds of the people in my phonebook directly into the car or should they have been transfered when I zapped my phonebook into the car?

cheers.
i think it's better you re set up the voice setting on your car.. not sure if the car will recognized the voice on your phone...
Old 12-19-05, 11:42 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Doeas anyone with a i870 know if you can transfer the whole phone book at once or if you have to do one name at a time?
Old 12-19-05, 11:42 AM
Cypren
Driver

I was wondering if anyone happens to know if there is a way to access the voice-dialing feature of my phone, i.e. speak names of people in my phonebook and have them dialed. I know I have a bluetooth headset that lets me do this, so presumably its feasible.
Without knowing the specfic model of your phone, I can't say for certain, but on 90% of Bluetooth phones, this kind of "open channel" voice dialing (i.e., the audio device opens a microphone link directly to the phone without a call in progress) is only possible with devices that support the Bluetooth Headset profile. The Lexus system uses the Bluetooth Hands-Free profile, which does not support this feature.

Do I have to reprogram the sounds of the people in my phonebook directly into the car or should they have been transfered when I zapped my phonebook into the car?
You will need to record a voice command for each person in the car phonebook that you wish to dial. (You can do this from the phonebook settings menu while the car is stopped.) This really isn't a bad thing, as the acoustic conditions in a car cabin with a microphone placed a couple of feet from your face are substantially different from those recorded in your phone's memory, where you were speaking directly into the handset. The phone would likely have a very hard time reconciling the two sounds, so it's better just to have two sets of voice samples for the two situations.
Old 12-19-05, 11:49 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe it's possible. It seems like it would have been a rather simple addition to the software since the bluetooth profile supports this, meaning its a standard not specific to individual phones (this is why headsets can do it). Perhaps the solution would also cut down in the time it takes to voice dial...aka "after the display has updated press the ... switch and say the name of the person you wish to dial"- something I find very annoying.
Old 12-19-05, 12:05 PM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by terp05
Perhaps the solution would also cut down in the time it takes to voice dial...aka "after the display has updated press the ... switch and say the name of the person you wish to dial"- something I find very annoying.
GAH! Yeah, that drives me absolutely nuts. What's even worse is that while you can turn off the initial prompt ("after the beep, please say a comand..."), you can't disable that stupid instruction in the phone book! Whoever designed the voice dialing system for this car obviously was only thinking about the technophobe users who need their hand firmly held through every step of any process involving transistors, no matter how many times they've done it before.
Old 12-19-05, 12:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closest I think of is every Sprint phone has built in voice command by dialing * TALK. So if you can just dial the star (*) key, you can access all the names in your phonebook directory.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...csVoiceCommand
Old 12-19-05, 12:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The Lexus Nav system recognizes certain voice commands, but no one has yet posted them. Go to the Help screen to get a list of commands. Then post them here, please.
Old 12-19-05, 02:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
Dr C posted them. Don't remember where though. I know there on here somewhere.
If you did a search to find the thread, you'll see that he DID NOT post any phone commands.
Old 12-19-05, 03:28 PM
Cypren
Driver

The only phone commands that I know of (from the help screen in the car) are "dial by name" and "dial by number".
Old 12-19-05, 09:21 PM
evren
Rookie

So if I understand correctly while I cannot use the recorded names that are already in my phone, I can teach the car the names of people? That would be more than sufficient, thanks!
Old 12-19-05, 09:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

So if I understand correctly while I cannot use the recorded names that are already in my phone, I can teach the car the names of people? That would be more than sufficient, thanks!
The car works as a BT headset. So if you're phone supports voice dial, and voice dialing through a headset, then it should work.
Old 12-19-05, 09:45 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Payam
Doeas anyone with a i870 know if you can transfer the whole phone book at once or if you have to do one name at a time?
I have an i870, and no you can't. It works just like any other motorola phone, one number at a time.
Old 12-19-05, 09:45 PM
evren
Rookie

TimboIS: You're contradicting terp05. If nothing else, assuming it was possible to do what you're saying, how would one even get the car to tell the phone it is transmitting a name? If one presses the 'talk' button in the phone menu they will only get the option to dial by number, which works crazy good btw (you speak a 10-digit number totally naturally and it will just about always get it right).
Old 12-19-05, 10:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

TimboIS: You're contradicting terp05. If nothing else, assuming it was possible to do what you're saying, how would one even get the car to tell the phone it is transmitting a name? If one presses the 'talk' button in the phone menu they will only get the option to dial by number, which works crazy good btw (you speak a 10-digit number totally naturally and it will just about always get it right).
I don't know how the Lexus phone system works technically. All I'm saying is the Lexus registers with my phone as a BT headset. And with any BT headset I can voice (name) dial my Sony Ericsson. You need the Lexus to pass the voice stream to the phone, and not intercept and try to interpret the voice stream. Maybe it's not supported?

Quick Reply: Voice-Dialing BT Phone Feature