Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Good run , I bet you're pretty happy with that, congratualations
Old 12-20-05, 10:19 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
this car is just tooo heavy... omg

they should of made this car like 3200 or less....
I actually don't think that it's that heavy for all of the equipment it comes with. It would be interesting to see how much weight you can lose by removing all the air bags, sound deadening, stereo equip, ac etc...

I am leaving that up to someone else though
Old 12-20-05, 10:33 AM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by gaijin
I actually don't think that it's that heavy for all of the equipment it comes with. It would be interesting to see how much weight you can lose by removing all the air bags, sound deadening, stereo equip, ac etc...
Totally agreed, and easy to forget when we start talking about performance numbers. The IS is, first and foremost, a luxury sedan. It's designed to shame Mercedes and BMW in comfort and class -- then beat them on the track as an afterthought.

Comparing it with rally cars like the Evo and STi that are built more for racing than for street driving is pointless -- the target markets are totally different. That our cars can run on the same level is an accomplishment; I don't have any need to see them be better.

Besides, both of those cars come with stock turbos -- nobody's yet seen what happens when you put a turbo on an IS350. =D
Old 12-20-05, 10:48 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great time man
Old 12-20-05, 11:33 AM
vwong
Driver

I know what has been published, but it is usually pretty difficult to match the numbers that those guys attain. Whether it's because of the professional drivers or the optimal conditions it is rare to equal or best one of their test results.
I would think it's easier to match the published time in the IS350 because it's got the automatic. All you need to do is press firmly on the "go" pedal. There isn't anything else that could be different between drivers. It's more difficult with a manual transmission because launching and shifting can be very different between drivers.
Old 12-20-05, 11:43 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackStevo
you mean Exedy???
Yes, my mistake.
Old 12-20-05, 12:25 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

VERY nice run.

I must confess ignorance... aparently the torsen LSD was only available on the 02-03 IS300 5spds and 02-05 manuals. No more torsen option?

Anyway, a set of drag radials, some practice and I predict sub 2.0 60fts. If the exhaust/intake gains from another thread hold up this could be REAL interesting soon.
Old 12-20-05, 01:47 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Wow I am clearly impressed. I think manual M3 owners (333hp/262torque/3415lbs curb) would consider hitting 13.3-13.9 a very good time for quarter mile. While an auto IS350 (306hp/277/3527 lbs curb) can easily cut into M3's terroritory is very impressive.
Old 12-20-05, 02:24 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbrady
VERY nice run.

I must confess ignorance... aparently the torsen LSD was only available on the 02-03 IS300 5spds and 02-05 manuals. No more torsen option?

Anyway, a set of drag radials, some practice and I predict sub 2.0 60fts. If the exhaust/intake gains from another thread hold up this could be REAL interesting soon.

torsen lsd was also an option on the 01 is300 autos. the new 06's have a semi-lsd controlled electronically.
Old 12-20-05, 05:55 PM
BlackStevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cypren
Totally agreed, and easy to forget when we start talking about performance numbers. The IS is, first and foremost, a luxury sedan. It's designed to shame Mercedes and BMW in comfort and class -- then beat them on the track as an afterthought.

Comparing it with rally cars like the Evo and STi that are built more for racing than for street driving is pointless -- the target markets are totally different. That our cars can run on the same level is an accomplishment; I don't have any need to see them be better.

Besides, both of those cars come with stock turbos -- nobody's yet seen what happens when you put a turbo on an IS350. =D

I have to disagree with the market thing. I have a 2005 evo that already ran 11.9 and had well over 400whp at the crank, and i'm getting rid of it to get a 2006 IS350. co worker of mine who also has a 2004 evo RS is trading it in for a 2006 is350. The markets are very similar. The cars are built completely differently though. To add a turbo to an IS350 would not make it an even match for an evo or Sti. the evo and sti would still handle better, brake better, and perform all around better on any kinds of track due to their nature and driveline. A traction controlled RWD automatic tank isnt going to compete. Maybe with slicks or drag radials it might beat them on the drag strip, but in that form it would fail miserably everywhere else.

The is350 is a 3.5L with higher compression designed to make 300hp with all motor power. The evo/sti are 4cylinders, low compression and fitted with small turbos. if you want to put a turbo on the IS350, then do an entry level turbo upgrade on the evo and see what happens. stock for stock they will not beat the evo or the sti because they are designed for it like you said. too heavy and a power eating auto transmission. with a 6 spd and a competent driver I believe a 13.3-13.4 would be in the mist and thats about the same speed as a stock evo or sti. that would extremely impress me due to the curb weight being so much more with all the luxury equipment included.

I look at the IS as small luxury sports sedan that has the power to do what you tell it to. I'm very impressed with the car overall and i'm extremely excited to get into it. hopefully within the next week or 2.
Old 12-20-05, 06:17 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats pretty damn fast, I dunno how many people have been to the track and watched all the cars race a full second slower than in magazines. My first run with my Supra with downpipe and etc was like 13.8 or so....course my traps speeds were somewhere around 110-115 i dont recall exactly (not an easy car to race). Anyways, Im very impressed.
Old 12-20-05, 06:19 PM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackStevo

I look at the IS as small luxury sports sedan that has the power to do what you tell it to. I'm very impressed with the car overall and i'm extremely excited to get into it. hopefully within the next week or 2.
I also have an Evo that does ok power wise . I think one of the reasons that the IS will appeal to a broader range of buyers is because of the raw power. Typically I prefer cars that are much more balanced, but after driving my s2k for 6 months, I really craved torque. I think that the raw power that this car possesses (that's a lot of s's, maybe too many?), is part of what appeals to me as a big time Evo enthusiast. I brought the car to Mynes performance where most of the guys are Evo drivers and everybody really digs the car, especially after that quarter mile run. It's even got the owner considering one 'cause he wants to keep the miles off of his '04 Evo, '06 Evo MR and his '05 E55 so that should also give you some idea of the kind of buyer this car attracts.

It really has a lot more muscle than your typical everyday sports sedan i.e. 330i.

Also, today I ran a friend who just bought a paxton supercharged '99 Dodge Dakota 5.9rt from about 0-80 and it was about even with me getting a slight edge at the start and him barely gaining up top. The biggest advantage he had was much quicker shifts. I can't stand how long it takes to up shift once you request it.
Old 12-20-05, 06:23 PM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
Thats pretty damn fast, I dunno how many people have been to the track and watched all the cars race a full second slower than in magazines. My first run with my Supra with downpipe and etc was like 13.8 or so....course my traps speeds were somewhere around 110-115 i dont recall exactly (not an easy car to race). Anyways, Im very impressed.
thanks man. I know that it is an automatic so I'm sure that helps, but I have rarely seen anybody in any car match performance numbers published in magazines. That's why I wasn't really expecting to get that kind of time and didn't think to bring my helmet. I am really curious to see if a lot of other guys are going to get similar numbers as soon as people start going out to the track.
Old 12-21-05, 08:53 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Just needs more power. Try launching my 5000 lb Lightning.
true...

i guess i'm used to driving my s2000.. a lighter car...

i didn't know our car can hit 13.6 second .. that's not bad at all
Old 12-21-05, 11:25 AM
Cypren
Driver

Also, today I ran a friend who just bought a paxton supercharged '99 Dodge Dakota 5.9rt from about 0-80 and it was about even with me getting a slight edge at the start and him barely gaining up top. The biggest advantage he had was much quicker shifts. I can't stand how long it takes to up shift once you request it.
I guess the question that pops into my mind is, "why are you requesting it when you need it, instead of before?" The shift paddles just control the maximum gear the car can shift into. If you turn on ECT-PWR mode, it'll pretty much redline the engine and then upshift quickly on its own, so the only real advantage of using the shift paddles is to force a downshift for turns. As soon as you drop the car into the lower gear, you should be able to "upshift" again without the car actually upshifting until it needs to -- and it does so very quickly at redline.

The automatic is absolutely no match for a good driver with a manual transmission, but just on my personal observation, it does a better job controlling the shifts than most drivers I've seen trying to use the tiptronic. If you haven't tried it yet, just turn on the automatic and ECT-PWR and see how you do -- you may be surprised.

Quick Reply: 13.68 @ 100mph if anybody cares