IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: When you use the paddles to shift, do you let off of the accelerator between shifts?
Yes, I let off of the gas between shifts like a manual tranny!
21.01%
No, my foot stays on the gas!
78.99%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Paddle Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05 | 11:49 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

What does the car do if you slide the lever over into S mode. Is that actually a sport mode, that still upshifts and downshifts automatically, but MORE aggressively than the regular automatic mode?. Or is the "S" position, merely a nuetral position for one, when they're using the paddles or toggling the lever up or down?
Old 12-21-05 | 10:55 AM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
What does the car do if you slide the lever over into S mode. Is that actually a sport mode, that still upshifts and downshifts automatically, but MORE aggressively than the regular automatic mode?. Or is the "S" position, merely a nuetral position for one, when they're using the paddles or toggling the lever up or down?
S-mode is just what allows you to manually control the upper shift bound. If you're in regular D-mode, the paddle shifters do nothing; if you're in S-mode, the paddle shifters (and the drive stick) can be used to set the maximum gear the car can operate in -- which somewhat approximates a manual transmission for most functions.

There is an "ECT PWR" mode that functions similar to Audi's "sport mode" -- it revs the engine higher and is more aggressive about delivering the maximum amount of available power to the wheels for racing performance. You toggle it on using a switch to the right of the steering column.
Old 12-21-05 | 04:35 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zephyr
My car goes "wtf are you doing?!" when I left off the gas and try to paddle shift at the same time. So I always stay on the gas.
Ditto! I couldn't of put it better myself
Old 12-21-05 | 11:30 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cypren
S-mode is just what allows you to manually control the upper shift bound. If you're in regular D-mode, the paddle shifters do nothing; if you're in S-mode, the paddle shifters (and the drive stick) can be used to set the maximum gear the car can operate in -- which somewhat approximates a manual transmission for most functions.

There is an "ECT PWR" mode that functions similar to Audi's "sport mode" -- it revs the engine higher and is more aggressive about delivering the maximum amount of available power to the wheels for racing performance. You toggle it on using a switch to the right of the steering column.
Excellent explanation, thanks!
Old 04-19-07 | 04:17 AM
danrgray
Driver School Candidate

Well done. But even so, I don't use S mode.
Old 04-19-07 | 09:08 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by danrgray
Well done. But even so, I don't use S mode.
You're missing out!
Old 04-19-07 | 10:03 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

I've driven nothing but manuals my entire life -- the IS350 is my first car with an automatic. When I bought it, I figured I'd wind up using it exclusively in sportshift mode out of habit. As it turns out, I never use sport mode at all.

Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar or comfortable with the nuances of a tiptronic transmission, but it sure seems as if the automatic, left to its own devices, does a much better job of gear shifting and selection than I do. It upshifts faster and smoother off a launch, downshifts properly when accelerating out of a turn, and always downshifts quickly to give me power if I floor it. I really don't have any complaints.
This is my first automatic and I agree. The only time I use the Sports mode is if I want to hold just one gear for a while in the twisties. Otherwise like you said the car usually shifts faster and smoother when just left in drive.
Old 04-19-07 | 11:19 AM
jdoolitt
Rookie

I too have been driving stick for the past 10 years or so (automatics before that). I've tried the paddles a few times - but compared to the real thing, they seem disconnected, so I don't use them. I also would venture to guess that many of the people who said they let up on the gas, are actually familiar with driving stick... so they used the paddles like they were used to using a stick shift and clutch pedal. (I know that is my excuse for letting off the gas when I used the paddles).
Old 04-20-07 | 07:29 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

i think i got all 4 tires to spin using the paddle shift today, i was pumped took a corner going 40 in 1st. haha i didnt mean too thou i just pressed the wrong paddle.
Old 04-20-07 | 08:58 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

I don't let go off the accelerator coz it will downshift depending on your speed. I usually use the S mode when I feel like playing- bored in a way. Using the S mode gives you more control though especially in transition freeways, cornering and showing off.
Old 04-26-07 | 10:03 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Nah usually dont let off the gas to upshift its a auto it doesnt like it when i let off the gas, it gets confused... but funny thing is I throttle blip when slaping it from D to S... thats the only time I figured out the correct timing where i can actually throttle blip and it make for a smooth downshift from 6 to 4.
Old 05-01-07 | 03:27 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Every car I have had except the last few, which were SUVs, were manual, and it took me awhile to get use to the paddles without lifting my right foot, but now I have it down, I find it definatley works better if you keep your foot planted.
Old 05-01-07 | 03:55 PM
euro.r
Driver

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Like someone else mentioned earlier, I've driven manuals for most of my life as well. I don't use the tiptronic, whether with the shifter itself or the paddles. I'd use it more often if it wasn't for the 1-2 second delay in shifting.
+1. I only use the paddle shifters in traffic to downshift like I would on a manual.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:57 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I want a real paddle shifting program.