IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Things that bug you about the IS 250/350

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 11:52 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

My list:

1. Radio reception not as good as on previous cars.
2. Get rid of the nav nanny. I can decide for myself when it is safe to dial a phone or select an MP3 file.
3. Retain recirculate/ventilate/auto settings after shutting off car.
4. Light the gas and trunk opener buttons.
Old 12-22-05, 06:25 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bichon]My list:

2. Get rid of the nav nanny. I can decide for myself when it is safe to dial a phone or select an MP3 file.

QUOTE]

The NAV nanny is not Lexus's fault--it has to do with our litigenous society. Everyone is assumed to be an idiot when it comes to personal responsibility; therefore, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to govern when we may use the NAV or select am MP3 file. That's why the owner's manual has more pages on warning than real information. Lexus, as a business, is merely trying to protect its own interest against frivolous suits. Just like a RV company that got sued and lost when an owner set the car on cruise control and went to the back to make coffee--duh!
Old 12-22-05, 08:53 AM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Don't like:
- clunks when steering (I don't care if this is "normal" for lexus, IMO, it's a flaw and does NOT inspire confidence in the handling)
- paint is very low quality (vs. my '02 325xi)
- excessive nav "guidance" when giving voice commands
- can't specify where I want the air coming from when in "Auto" (Otherwise, it takes it off of auto)
- dash lights for trunk/fuel
- yellow daytime driving lights (come on! yellow is lame. I love those white LED parking lights someone in here swapped out)
- no hand-pull e-brake
- small back seat
- no fold-down rear seat
- you have to drive like grandma to get half-decent gas mileage :P (I'm averaging around 18 mpg and I'm not applying "that much" lead-foot action)
- slow puddle lamps (I concur!)
- center console lid and cup holder locations (but I do like the little light that illuminates my water bottle at night) hehe
- ultra-thin leather. (it is soft, but man... I feel like if I have a key or something poking out of m pocket, that it'll puncture the leather!)

Of course the list of things "I like" is still longer. But the things above are kind of a pain in the a$S. We should start a thread about "things we like" but I have the feeling it would be hard to control. Maybe... "Top Ten Favorite Things" hehe
Old 12-22-05, 09:43 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of mine from last month still hold true for me: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188442
Old 12-22-05, 12:25 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

1: Poor rear visibilty..
2:Sports Package should have the option of wood trim
3:ML not available in Tri state area yet (NY.NJ,CT)
4:The Obvious defect in most or all of our cars, that makes it impossible to
make a u-turn without feeling like our front wheel is going to dismount.

That's about it, for now....
Old 12-22-05, 12:33 PM
bigperm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
Also that the trunk has no springs to pop up when you open it, isnt the greatest on sharp turns almost ran into on-coming traffic taking a turn that my CLK had no issues with. And last but not least there is a wierd sound when I close my trunk, but I think thats just a problem that my car could only have.

really? thats strange to me because i had an '04 clk 500 and the cornering really wasn't as smooth as it is on my 350

the trunk not springing open is my only major complaint. it would have been nice to get HID's with the prem package but i'll live with an aftermarket kit
Old 12-22-05, 04:09 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigperm
really? thats strange to me because i had an '04 clk 500 and the cornering really wasn't as smooth as it is on my 350

the trunk not springing open is my only major complaint. it would have been nice to get HID's with the prem package but i'll live with an aftermarket kit

In 2000, i had a 2001 CLK430 and when i tell you, it handled like crap, Put it this way,, 1 year after i sold it, in 2002, i bought a BMW 330CIC,
and that def handled better than the CLK,, and the IS350 i have now handles
better than both..
Old 12-22-05, 04:49 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by pwndzzled
Don't like:
- clunks when steering (I don't care if this is "normal" for lexus, IMO, it's a flaw and does NOT inspire confidence in the handling)
- paint is very low quality (vs. my '02 325xi)
- excessive nav "guidance" when giving voice commands
- can't specify where I want the air coming from when in "Auto" (Otherwise, it takes it off of auto)
- dash lights for trunk/fuel
- yellow daytime driving lights (come on! yellow is lame. I love those white LED parking lights someone in here swapped out)
- no hand-pull e-brake
- small back seat
- no fold-down rear seat
- you have to drive like grandma to get half-decent gas mileage :P (I'm averaging around 18 mpg and I'm not applying "that much" lead-foot action)
- slow puddle lamps (I concur!)
- center console lid and cup holder locations (but I do like the little light that illuminates my water bottle at night) hehe
- ultra-thin leather. (it is soft, but man... I feel like if I have a key or something poking out of m pocket, that it'll puncture the leather!)

Of course the list of things "I like" is still longer. But the things above are kind of a pain in the a$S. We should start a thread about "things we like" but I have the feeling it would be hard to control. Maybe... "Top Ten Favorite Things" hehe
I agree with most of your "don't likes", esp. the part about no fold-down rear seat, and ultra-thin leather. I'm almost afraid to put anything on the seats! (Not that I care to have leather as tough as Oberto beef jerky), but just a *little* more durability (or the *feel* of durability, I should say) would be nice. Oh yes, of course the nav nanny drives me nuts sometimes.

Good idea about compiling a list of our Top Ten Faves! We should do that. In fact, I think in the product quality survey from Lexus HQ, one of the questions was "What features do you like the best about your IS?" I think I named five things: Navigation, Back-up camera, Nice gauges, Bluetooth, and the heated/ventilated seats.
Old 12-23-05, 08:21 AM
United #10
Pole Position

No standard HID
No standard bluetooth
No RECARO leather seat
No fold-down seat
Old 12-23-05, 09:30 AM
mhiggi02
Driver

[QUOTE=jlin101]
Originally Posted by Bichon
My list:

QUOTE]

The NAV nanny is not Lexus's fault--it has to do with our litigenous society. Everyone is assumed to be an idiot when it comes to personal responsibility; therefore, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to govern when we may use the NAV or select am MP3 file. That's why the owner's manual has more pages on warning than real information. Lexus, as a business, is merely trying to protect its own interest against frivolous suits. Just like a RV company that got sued and lost when an owner set the car on cruise control and went to the back to make coffee--duh!
Lexus still has a choice. I've got a Garmin car nav system and while the nanny is on by default there is an option to turn it off.
Old 12-23-05, 09:45 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

[QUOTE=mhiggi02]
Originally Posted by jlin101
Lexus still has a choice. I've got a Garmin car nav system and while the nanny is on by default there is an option to turn it off.
Agreed, especially since the competition (e.g. Acura) doesn't do this. I thought the whole point of that legal warning (where you have to push "I agree" everytime you start the car) was to absolve them of liability.

P.S.
If they are so worried about driver liability, why do they have so many cup holders? Including one for a two liter bottle in the driver door map pocket. The Lexus lawyers think it is safer to pour soda pop at 65 MPH than to pick an entry in a phone book?

Last edited by Bichon; 12-23-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 09:59 AM
BlackStevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by United #10
No standard HID
No standard bluetooth
No RECARO leather seat
No fold-down seat

yea recaro seat would be nice, but it might be too sporty for the car???
Old 12-23-05, 10:18 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=mhiggi02]
Originally Posted by jlin101
If you purchased a Garmin car nav system and it arrived in the mail, Garmin is not implying in any way that you should use this device while you are driving. The Garmin Nav is not pointed towards you when you are driving, there are no features on it that assist you to use it while you are driving, and it is not within reach of you while you are driving. It's just in a box on your front porch delivered by UPS. What you do with it after that is up to you. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the Garmin instructions it tells you not to use this device while driving, that is the explicit warning in writing but still the Garmin Nav itself does not imply anything.

OTOH, the Lexus Navi because of the way it is positioned, because it is within arms length of the driver's seat, because of a lot of things, a person who gets into that car can assume that Lexus intended the driver to operate this piece of equipment, along with all of the other little gadgets, while the vehicle is in motion. I am not the owner so I didn't read the car manual and shouldn't have to, but those Nav buttons are right there in my face, just like the AC buttons, just like the wipers, just like the radio. All are implied to me that I can and should use them while I am driving. So how do I exempt the Nav?

It is Lexus' duty to tell the driver each and every time that just because we put this equipment here doesn't mean you should try to use it while you are driving. We shall do this with a warning message that you must acknowledge. They could care less if you hack and override this, they've done their duty by ensuring that each and every Nav that goes out the door includes this warning by default.

Does that help explain this?
Old 12-23-05, 10:23 AM
dennis250
Driver

You know what the worst thing is about this car????

I can't find one with lux and nav!!!!!
Old 12-23-05, 10:25 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Bichon]
Originally Posted by mhiggi02

Agreed, especially since the competition (e.g. Acura) doesn't do this. I thought the whole point of that legal warning (where you have to push "I agree" everytime you start the car) was to absolve them of liability.

P.S.
If they are so worried about driver liability, why do they have so many cup holders? Including one for a two liter bottle in the driver door map pocket. The Lexus lawyers think it is safer to pour soda pop at 65 MPH than to pick an entry in a phone book?
This doesn't absolve them of liability. Liability will be determined by a court. What is does it give Lexus the opportunity to say they did their duty to warn the driver. It says that Lexus did not intend for this device to be used while driving and more importantly they took a critical step to inform you that this is their intention. Finally it shows that you as the driver agreed to this. How this will play out in a lawsuit remains to be seen and probably hasn't been tested yet but it certainly puts Lexus in a better position. On the Acura, you press the I Agree button and then you can manipulate the buttons while the car is moving. This could be seen by a jury as not going far enough to protect the driver, maybe Acura should disable the buttons while the car is moving in addition to providing the warning message.

Having cup holders in the car do not send you the message that you should pour soda at 65mph. It just doesn't.

But putting a display in your face and providing you with driving data that you NEED in order to NAVIGATE TO YOUR DESTINATION at 65mph DOES sorta imply that you need to focus over here (instead of the road) from time to time. This could be seen as a critical distraction and potential shift some of the responsibility for a crash to the Nav and thus to Lexus.

That's the difference.

Quick Reply: Things that bug you about the IS 250/350