IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav vs No Nav. Everything but Nav.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 07:51 AM
dennis250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav vs No Nav. Everything but Nav.

You are probably thinking "wtf!?"
What i'm trying to ask is this.... what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages to having Nav. And I mean everything except the actual navigation software. For instance, compare using the ac controls with nav and without. Or the radio. Nav looks cool and it would be nice to use the navigation software once in a while, but personally I would be using the other features that the nav screen controls more than the nav itself. So I would want to make sure that I'm not going to be annoyed by all the other stuff more often than pleased by the mapping software. Know what i mean? Oh, and how is it using the touch screen vs buttons? I normally prefer the tactile feel of actual buttons and I'm worried finger prints would drive me nuts.
Old 12-22-05, 08:42 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dennis250
You are probably thinking "wtf!?"
What i'm trying to ask is this.... what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages to having Nav. And I mean everything except the actual navigation software. For instance, compare using the ac controls with nav and without. Or the radio. Nav looks cool and it would be nice to use the navigation software once in a while, but personally I would be using the other features that the nav screen controls more than the nav itself. So I would want to make sure that I'm not going to be annoyed by all the other stuff more often than pleased by the mapping software. Know what i mean? Oh, and how is it using the touch screen vs buttons? I normally prefer the tactile feel of actual buttons and I'm worried finger prints would drive me nuts.
Buttons are always quicker/easier to use than a touch screen, but most people leave the climate control in Auto and seldom use the fan speed and vent mode buttons (temp and recirc mode buttons are separate and present on NAV cars). The most commonly used audio buttons are on the steering wheel, too. Navigation notwithstanding, the biggest advantage of NAV-equipped cars would be the backup camera and Bluetooth capability. Touch screens tend to get smudged with fingerprints and require frequent cleaning. There's also that annoying nanny warning screen when you turn on the engine. I myself rarely use the NAV (99% of my driving is within a 5-mile radius), but got the NAV because I wanted ML.
Old 12-22-05, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i had the same kind of questions before i had my first nav car

but after getting my is300 and sc430 with nav, i can't go back. to me, it's not about what it offers you in general, it's about that ONE TIME when you really want to have it. so many times already we were somewhere and just want that one little map help. and the nav on the lexus is so easy to control, it's always a plus
Old 12-22-05, 09:09 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my girl's is250 is non nav and mine is with nav. driving with nav makes the non nav looks cheap... but it's all good.
Old 12-22-05, 09:17 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the positive comments above.

For me the best feature is the excellent POI database and searchability. Leaving work yesterday I wanted a way to a Best Buy that didnt involve highways...I searched for Best Buy and the familiar Best Buy logo displayed as the icon so I knew I was picking the right POI. Then it found the two nearby (~5 miles and ~8 miles) and I was on my way. Very simple, very quick...now the line at Best Buy, thats another story....

That being said, I can see how features like this would be great for some people and not really relevant to others. Its a factor of how well you know the area you live in, how populated/urbanized it is, and how much you travel, among others. My parents, who rarely travel and have lived in a town mostly dominated by farmland, probably wouldn't use the nav system that often. They know all the roads by heart, and there are two convenience stores, 1 restaurant and a grocery store in my home town.

On the other hand, I live in the DC metro area where there are 100 convenience stores in a 5 mile radius and it will probably take you 20 minutes to get to any of them at most times of the day. Finding alternate routes on non-highways is great for beating traffic (and sometimes tolls)- something I have used quite often on my Nav system.
Old 12-22-05, 09:37 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Fingerprints on the Nav screen are like fingerprints on your iPod. You learn to live with them, you just keep cleaning. However, fingerprints don't really hinder you from actually using the Nav or viewing the display. Clean them off at your own convenience.
Old 12-22-05, 10:07 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but after getting my is300 and sc430 with nav, i can't go back. to me, it's not about what it offers you in general, it's about that ONE TIME when you really want to have it. so many times already we were somewhere and just want that one little map help. and the nav on the lexus is so easy to control, it's always a plus
Agreed. Nav is a no brainer if it's a viable option for you. Can't imagine how I spent 7 years w/out nav on my previous GS. Besides, the nav screen on the new IS is so sweet
Old 12-22-05, 10:14 AM
darrelld
Driver

Agree with the location and urbanization comments. For me the biggest plus of Nav is rerouting around a traffic jam or accident. I am hoping the reroute feature of my new IS350 (scheduled for Feb) will be as easy to use as other Navs I have experience with.
Old 12-22-05, 10:44 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by darrelld
Agree with the location and urbanization comments. For me the biggest plus of Nav is rerouting around a traffic jam or accident. I am hoping the reroute feature of my new IS350 (scheduled for Feb) will be as easy to use as other Navs I have experience with.
Can you please elaborate about the "re-route" featrure in Feb...I know exactly what it is, but I am wondering about its availability? Will it be a new DVD?
Old 12-22-05, 10:52 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
Can you please elaborate about the "re-route" featrure in Feb...I know exactly what it is, but I am wondering about its availability? Will it be a new DVD?
He just means that his new 350 is scheduled for delivery in February. The reroute feature he speaks of is the 'Detour' function i believe, which the IS already has
Old 12-22-05, 11:02 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I have an IS350 w/Lux/Nav on special order and is due to arrive at my dealer in late Feb.

Detouring around traffic jams, if you live or drive through urban areas like Dallas, makes the Nav worth the price of admission for me. Probably used this feature on my current car more than any other Nav function.
Old 12-22-05, 11:03 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darrelld
Agree with the location and urbanization comments. For me the biggest plus of Nav is rerouting around a traffic jam or accident. My new IS350, which is scheduled for Feb, I am hoping the reroute feature will be as easy to use as other Navs I have experience with.
fixed for clarity...sorta.
Old 12-22-05, 11:07 AM
jeffyee123
Rookie

always the nav versus non-nav discussion =P I don't have nav, just cuz I've never had it, and you don't miss it if you don't get it. I did have nav in my loaner car for 3 weeks, but only used it once or twice, and even then the interface wasn't as spectacular as i thought it would be...suffice it to say it was a 2005 nav and not the new one in the IS, but the maps were out of date already for much of LA's point of interests (restaurants, etc.)

It's all just preference. But paying that much extra for something that would help me only occasionally, it just wasn't worth it for me. I'd rather just call a friend up if I get really lost. It does make the car look really cool and slick though.
Old 12-22-05, 12:35 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I would only want it for the looks. To that end, it wasnt worth $2500 to have a screen instead of buttons.
Old 12-22-05, 12:38 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I just got the nav, because it looks cooler, lol

Quick Reply: Nav vs No Nav. Everything but Nav.