IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Suspension Problem - Veers to the right

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 03:03 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I took my car in today at 11:30 am. At 4 pm I finally got a call from Kuni Lexus about my IS350.

Apparently they checked out my alignment "extensively" and discovered the left front's camber (or castor...whichever one deals with forward and backward) is off. They're ordering new parts for me and they hope it will fix the issue. These are the following parts:

bracket sub assembly x 2
bushings

They apparently consulted with the rep from Lexus and they all came to the conclusion this will do the trick.

I'm sort of pissed off right now. The only reason why I gave up my Z was because of it's bad alignment. Although with the Z's case, there was a TSB for it so it was a known issue. With my IS, this isn't a common problem and the guys at Kuni don't seem to knwo what's up.
that should be the caster
Old 02-07-06, 03:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I wonder if I can buy a set of michelin pilot sport A/S and make them pay for it.
not OEM, really doubt they will let you, thats like if your wheel had a defect and you ask them to pay for HREs
Old 02-07-06, 03:22 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not OEM, really doubt they will let you, thats like if your wheel had a defect and you ask them to pay for HREs
haha that's true. My plan is to just wear these Dunlops out then buy a set of Michelins. Obviously they fixed the alignment so the dealership has done their part. The dealership makes a killing on mounting/balancing though (the guy said it was in the ballpark of $120).

I'll wait till I can find a reputable tire shop that can mount/balance for cheaper (as well as know what they're doing in terms of the tire sensor).
Old 02-07-06, 03:25 PM
tsp5
Driver School Candidate

Is there any way you could tell me which dealership this was? I need some kind of proof that it's the tires, but Kuni Lexus doesn't seem to want to go that route. They are calling me back after I left a message and I'm going to suggest they should replace the tires with another brand.

I wonder if I can buy a set of michelin pilot sport A/S and make them pay for it.
The dealership was Park Place Lexus.
Old 04-06-06, 11:55 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I'm noticing that the car pulls to the right also, if I take my hand of the wheel, this happens on EVERY hwy I'm on. How are we supposed to differentiate whether this is just due to the crest in the road, or the fact there is a problem with the car? Also if they over-compensate for a right side of the road driven car in alignment set-up, will that mess with the wear on the tread?
Old 04-16-06, 03:46 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Anyone know whether there is actually the following TSB recall for the alignment?

# is ST004-01 REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT: VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE
Old 04-16-06, 03:50 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Anyone know whether there is actually the following TSB recall for the alignment?

# is ST004-01 REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT: VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE

It's not a TSB, it's a supplement to the repair manual detailing steps to take if someone reports the car pulling to one side. It isn't specifically related to the IS.
Old 04-19-06, 07:30 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Geesh, just got my car back, the alignment was out of spec. But I barely notice a difference, the car still pulls right? Even on say, the middle lane of a 3 lane hwy.

For those of you who claim to notice NO problems with your alignment, when you take you hand of the wheel do you literally notice NO pull whatsoever? Just trying to make sure that there really IS such a thing as near perfect alignment on this car!
Old 04-19-06, 07:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Geesh, just got my car back, the alignment was out of spec. But I barely notice a difference, the car still pulls right? Even on say, the middle lane of a 3 lane hwy.

For those of you who claim to notice NO problems with your alignment, when you take you hand of the wheel do you literally notice NO pull whatsoever? Just trying to make sure that there really IS such a thing as near perfect alignment on this car!
lot of people have had tires be the cause of the veering, ask if your dealer has a road force balancer, those usually find alignment problems that a normal balancer cant correct
Old 04-19-06, 06:54 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

here is what fixed my veering to the right problem:

1. changed Dunlops to Bridgestone Potenzas, uni-directional tires. (dealer courtesy)
2. added Lexus camber kits (dealer courtesy).
3. re-alignment (dealer courtesy).

after 2000 miles, so far so good - no veering issues.
Old 04-19-06, 06:56 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by keeeeez
here is what fixed my veering to the right problem:

1. changed Dunlops to Bridgestone Potenzas, uni-directional tires. (dealer courtesy)
2. added Lexus camber kits (dealer courtesy).
3. re-alignment (dealer courtesy).

after 2000 miles, so far so good - no veering issues.
Good to know... did they try an alignment first which failed to fix the problem?
What exactly are lexus camber kits? Also by chance did they let you keep the Dunlops?
Is there ANY pull whatsoever if you take your hands off the wheels on most roads?
Old 04-19-06, 09:45 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

my car rides good and the caster is out of alignment and cant be fixed i put some airride on and droped the car. man did i chew up a set of tires in 500 miles with a 3degree toe out on my fronts. also look for a raceing atire shop they deal with my high performance. moms es300 drives greatm and has for 220y
Old 04-20-06, 04:58 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Hmmm, I'm noticing that the car pulls to the right also, if I take my hand of the wheel, this happens on EVERY hwy I'm on. How are we supposed to differentiate whether this is just due to the crest in the road, or the fact there is a problem with the car? Also if they over-compensate for a right side of the road driven car in alignment set-up, will that mess with the wear on the tread?
There is a Technical Service Information Bulletin on this issue, I thought I posted it... guess not...

ST004-01 REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT: VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE (REVISED)

This bulletin contains general vehicle pulling diagnosis and repair procedures along with specific information to help correct pulling complaints.

This information supplements Repair Manual procedures when the symptoms are: The driver holds the steering wheel without exerting steering effort while driving straight ahead, and the vehicle drifts to the right or the left.

While driving straight ahead, the driver has to steer either to the right or the left to maintain straight driving.

.... This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

Hope that helps..

Last edited by dkaplan435; 04-20-06 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 06:08 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Good to know... did they try an alignment first which failed to fix the problem?
What exactly are lexus camber kits? Also by chance did they let you keep the Dunlops?
Is there ANY pull whatsoever if you take your hands off the wheels on most roads?
A camber kit is simply a kit, usually comprised of new eccentric bolts or camber plates, that let you dial in more (typically negative) camber than allowed with the stock hardware.
Old 04-20-06, 08:46 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
It's not a TSB, it's a supplement to the repair manual detailing steps to take if someone reports the car pulling to one side. It isn't specifically related to the IS.
It may not be a TSB, but it is a TSIB (Technical Service Information Bulletin)

Is there a difference?

Finally it applies to ALL Lexus models, not just the IS:

Technical Service, Information Bulletin, December 21, 2001, Revised 4/4/06

Title: REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT: VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE

Models: All ’02 – ’07 Models

TSIB REVISION NOTICE:
April 4, 2006: 2007 model year has been added to Applicable Vehicles.
October 5, 2005: 2003 – 2006 model years have been added to Applicable Vehicles.

Quick Reply: IS350 Suspension Problem - Veers to the right